http://www.EDUG573Fall2011 discussion

Kassidy > Graphic Novels

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kassidy (new)

Kassidy | 24 comments 1

message 2: by Kassidy (new)

Kassidy | 24 comments The Boxcar Children 1 by Shannon Eric Denton is the first graphic novel that I have read. It is about 4 siblings, Henry, Jessie, Benny, and Violet that are struggling to remain together after their parents die. They do not know who to trust, and are scared. They have a grandfather that they do not know, and are scared that he will seperate them. Then something happens that forces them to trust him. Violet becomes ill.
I was eager to try this book because I remember the original. I was hoping that because it was written at the second grade level, it would be appealing to my struggling readers. I did not care for this book, because I felt like it cut out so much of the original book and story line. However I could see this being appealing to lower readers.

message 3: by Kassidy (new)

Kassidy | 24 comments Kristys Great Idea by Raina Telgemeier. This was another graphic novel that I read to see if my struggling readers would like it. This book tells the story of the creation of the Babysitters club. It tells the story of the friendship of Kristy, Claudia, Stacey, and MaryAnn while still focusing on internal and external struggles that the girls face.

I guess I am just not a graphic novel fan because again I did not care for this book. I found too much missing and that it was dry. I was so eager to like ti being a Babysitters Club fan myself when i was in 6th grade. I wanted to like it to be able to reccommend it to my students, but I feel that it is written too low for them. It is written at a 2nd grade level for 5th and 6th grade students.