Haruki Murakami's "1Q84" discussion

1Q84 (1Q84 #1-3)
This topic is about 1Q84
Members' Reviews

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ian "Marvin" Graye | 191 comments Mod
Place a link to your Review or Discussion here.

message 2: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue (snuzy36) | 70 comments Has anybody finished this book yet? Its no fun to have read it so quickly and come to find there is nobody to discuss with :)

message 3: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue's review is here:

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Sorry about the lack of discussion, Sue.

My copy still hasn't turned up. I've got two days before I go away on an interstate business trip for a week, so if it doesn't turn up in the meantime, I'll be even more useless. (It would have been good reading time, too.)

Please don't hold off making any comments or starting a thread.

I'm sure the responses will come in if you start the ball rolling.

message 4: by Sue (last edited Nov 02, 2011 12:21PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue (snuzy36) | 70 comments Must be very disappointing waiting for a book to come. I hate waiting for anything it seems anymore, instant gratification comes with the internet ebooks and audio books :)

I am just sitting with lots of thoughts on the book at this point. The book is still haunting me even though I can now sleep at night reading my fluff. The characters are deeply sewn into my memory and I cant seem to push them away. Granted you and I both disagree on the two books I have read Wind Up Bird and Never Let Me Go. I think 1Q84 is better than Wind Up Bird in many ways especially that it actually means something and is not just deep characters that dwell in your mind and want to be read but the logical side of your brain says "toss the book" I really enjoyed Never Let Me Go and the characters main and supporting still haunt me to this day.. Can I say this about 1Q84? No I can not say the same thing. The characters spoke to me and I felt in step with them and loved them dearly, I lived with them for five straight days and nights BUT and its a big BUT in refection what were we left with? I am left with the feeling that the book was nicely tied up at the ends with the characters so to speak but am I satisfied? No I am deeply left needing something else from this book and I just can not figure out what it is that is missing?

message 5: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Hi, Sue, we were only one star different about "Never Let Me Go". Ultimately, I wouldn't have bothered with my dialogue or any deeper analysis if I didn't think the book warranted it, even though I was a tad disappointed.

I am interested in your comments about the possible failure of the characters to stay with you.

I have always wanted to write something about the way they are ethereal, as if they have been plucked out of a cloud, and when we finish each book, they return to the cloud and blend back in with his other characters.

I don't want to say dream-like, because they are actually pretty concrete and individual while you're reading the book.

It's like after the book is finished, the characters go to Murakami heaven and finish up as lost souls.

Or maybe they find each other there in the cloud and become one great found soul.

And that soul feeds us.

message 6: by Sue (last edited Nov 02, 2011 03:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue (snuzy36) | 70 comments You know the feeling when you start to read a new book before the membrane of the last book has had time to close behind you? The fibers of the characters are still clinging to your every being. You are spot on there with ethereal, plucked out of a cloud and when finished return to the cloud and bend back in with other characters. There are only a few books that I can actually say that with .The Wind Up Bird is another of his books that the characters are remembered and I wanted to finish this book but I felt it had no point whatsoever but in light of that I felt compelled to read it just to keep the main character from vanishing. I grew to feel for him as an individual and to this day I feel like I missed something?
I read A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry in 2004 and those characters are ingrained in my mind forever. I can still feel the pain and humiliation of these two poor souls, they haunt me even though the author did an excellent job of ending the book they will not disappear from my mind and blend into the cloud of characters in the sky.
What does make an author able to keep them from blending in? There are many books that I really honestly cant remember the characters but yet at the time felt they were memorable. I still feel the characters of Never Let Me Go with me as the story was haunting, but after putting aside 1Q84 the characters feel as though they are slipping away from me.
Why did you feel disappointed with Never Let Me Go?

I am now getting ready to download some more of Murakami's books to my kindle so I can be returned to his world (as long as its not as crazy as Wind Up Bird) haha

message 7: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue wrote: "Why did you feel disappointed with Never Let Me Go?"

I wasn't totally satisfied with the way the narrative was told in the first person or with who the second person was supposed to be.

I talk about this under the heading "Narrative Style" in my review (unfortunately, it's all a bit hazy now):

message 9: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Any conversation starters you can think of?

message 10: by Sue (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sue (snuzy36) | 70 comments You have a very vivid imagination. Personally I loved the concept and it really seems like that could happen in some far off unregulated country paid for by our governments.

message 11: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kristin's review is here:

Stephen M | 11 comments Here is my review:
1Q84

message 13: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

I finished reading the book on Sunday and will work on my notes and review this week.

I might end up placing the review in My Writings.

In the meantime, I've put a few more playful things here:

They are:

* an assortment of haiku inspired by the novel; and

* an "interview" on a train.

Aloha Oh, I just realized that there's a section for reviews. Here is the link to mine:

message 15: by Ian (last edited Dec 01, 2011 04:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

message 16: by Gil (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gil Nambatac (kogarasumaro143) | 1 comments My 1Q84 review: http://hailgil.blogspot.com/2012/05/f...

Please feel free to discuss this book with me...

message 17: by Ian (new) - rated it 5 stars

Well done, Gil, good luck with your writing career.