Celtic Studies discussion

Early Irish Myths and Sagas
This topic is about Early Irish Myths and Sagas
Thirds of Samhain

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) | 7 comments Have been reading Early Irish Myths and Sagas and noted in the first passage of "The Wasting Sickness of Cú Chulaind & The Only Jealousy of Emer" the reference to the thirds of Samuin. Gathering and celebration three days before, the day of, and three days after.

Is anyone able to direct me to texts which support this reference to the thirds of Samhuin?

message 2: by Mia (new)

Mia | 2 comments This is an old comment, but just in case someone else comes along with the same question, In Irish, the tale is "Serglige Con Culainn." There are background details given here on the Mary Jones Celtic Literature Collective site: http://www.ucc.ie/celt/published/G301...

There is a lot of Samhain information in Ronald Hutton's "The Stations of the Sun: A History of the Ritual Year in Britain." There are samuin/samhain (sometimes "tamuin" when the OCR doesn't work, ha ha) references in versions of Cormac's glossary (Sanas Cormaic) on books.google.com, an early medieval text

Otherwise, the passage in Irish is: 1] Óenach dogníthe la Ultu cecha blíadna .i. tri lá ría samfhuin
2] & tri laa íarma & lathe na samna feisne. Iss ed eret no bítis
3] Ulaid insin i m-Maig Murthemni, oc ferthain óenaig na samna
4] cecha blíadna. Ocus ní rabe isin bith ní dognethe in n-eret sin
5] léu acht cluchi & chéti & ánius & áibinnius & longad & tomailt,
6] conid de sin atát na trenae samna sechnón na h-Érend.

message 3: by Mia (new)

Mia | 2 comments Actually, the "samuin" reference in Cormac's Glossary is (sadly) shorter than I remember and it is actually mentioned in the entry for "Gamuin" (November). See page 85 of this version: http://books.google.com/books?id=HmVi...

Ancestral Gaidheal (gaidheal) | 7 comments Thank you for the references, and links.