The Historian The Historian discussion

Finished (Well Sort of)

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dave (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new) - rated it 1 star

Dave Alt At about page 400 wondered if this book would ever end. Just to make sure it did I started reading the book backwards and low and behold there wasn't even a *&%$ satisfying conclusion at the end.

What I discovered however that read backwards that the book is actually better when read end first.

message 2: by Anita (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anita yeah...i kinda umm dislike the abrupt ending. i thought 2-3 last chapters ruined all the good chapters somewhere in the middle. just when i thought it'll be good...oh so much for expectation *sigh*

Christina It was exceptionally long, but I didn't think the ending lacked anything...frankly, I loved the story, but had to take breaks while reading it because it was so dense with Eastern European geography.

Cyndi Oh thank zod, this book has taken me six months to read...I keep thinking it will pick up. I'm still not finished. Yes, packed too tightly with geographic references.

message 5: by Chuckell (new)

Chuckell I've only recently come to accept the fact that I can actually . . . throw . . . a book . . . away. Yes, stick it in the trash like any other item I bought that disappointed me, didn't live up to my expectations, was basically useless, was so junky I wouldn't give to a friend. Since I hadn't yet learned this truth when I read The Historian, I didn't throw this book away--I left it out on the street. But first I took out my calligraphy pen and inscribed a curse on the flyleaf:

"To anyone so misfortunate as to find this book and attempt to read the contents of its pages, I curse you to many hours of frustrated irritation in the company of characterless characters in pursuit of pointless objectives. Beware!"

This book, in short, is a piece of shit.

Leslie Bummer! There were times this drug on; however, I liked the book! It was better than taking a sleeping pill and a glass of wine if I couldn't fall asleep! The ending wasn't as great as I had expected -- plus, where is Barley now (or did I miss that when I fell asleep)?

message 7: by shay (new) - rated it 1 star

shay I have just finished this book, literally. I thought it was OK - the amnesia explanation was...silly...and some of the other nice coincidences were pretty outlandish and bordered on downright convenient, but it got pretty engrossing somewhere in the middle. I found the tangled history and the sometimes-wild inferences drawn from them to be more confusing than the geography.

Was it great? No...I guess not. Not a bad epic-length read though, especially for a book dubbed "The Dracula Code."

Amanda It took me months on and off to finish this horribly slow boring ass book! I kept waiting for it to pick up or at least get more interesting.

There were points that I thought "okay, here we go, this sounds promising." only to be disappointing as the author turned yet another really cool story idea into a snooze fest.

Her attempt at suspense is laughable - but unfortunately not even funny.

message 9: by Pandora (new)

Pandora I had trouble get over the logical problem if Dracula's head was cut off how could he still be alive? I know there was a move to bring the head to the body but, still are we suppose to believe they sewed the head back on? And that showhow he magically was able to survive once he was put back together? Perhaps, I missed some point in the book that explained this illogic but, I have no desire to look at the book again. It's been awhile since I trudge through this book but, that was my clearest memory of it.

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

I forced myself to finish this piece of crap. Shouldn't have bothered.

message 11: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe Brooks I too had a problem with the ending. I read the book over a few days (I'm a fast reader) and enjoyed a lot of it, but the ending didn't make sense. Dracula was dead and then suddenly the author is indicating he isn't. Either she didn't think it through or she decided she might get a sequel out of it, or both.

Linda I am having a problem finishing this book. It started off really good but by the middle I was struggling to get to the next page. After reading the comments here I dont know if its worth me struggling through to the end now. We'll see, maybe if we have a bad snowstorm I might get it back out and finish it.

message 13: by Kirby (new) - rated it 1 star

Kirby yup, I gave up on this one...

Kristen Pandora wrote: "I had trouble get over the logical problem if Dracula's head was cut off how could he still be alive? I know there was a move to bring the head to the body but, still are we suppose to believe they sewed the head back on? And that showhow he magically was able to survive once he was put back together?"

He is undead, not alive. Read up on vampire lore.

message 15: by Zoe (new) - rated it 4 stars

Zoe Brooks Kristen wrote: "Pandora wrote: "I had trouble get over the logical problem if Dracula's head was cut off how could he still be alive? I know there was a move to bring the head to the body but, still are we suppo..."

I thought vampire lore says that vampires can be killed by silver bullets, which is why Helen shoots Dracula with one.

Annemarie Donahue There are few books that just bored me as much as this one did. I can't decide if it was the constant stop in action to describe what people are wearing or if was just that she began every other sentence with "but also"... this book just sucked.

Annika Kaiser Chuckell wrote: "I've only recently come to accept the fact that I can actually . . . throw . . . a book . . . away. Yes, stick it in the trash like any other item I bought that disappointed me, didn't live up to m..."

Do not EVER throw a book away, please!

Put it in the recycle.

Camille I got through this tomb by skipping some of the description. Have to say I really wanted to find out what happened. That's the reason I finish a lot of books others don't. Not knowing the ending is just to maddening .

Tracy Murphy I loved this book. Loved that it was a classic view of vampires rather than the shiny glittery Twilight vampire, loved the academic feel to it (I do love books set in libraries, museums and universities though), and loved the Eastern European setting- it makes me want to travel there. The book can be slow, it took me a while to get through it, and i wish the ending had been a bit more involved and stronger...it felt like it wrapped up too quickly. I find that the case with most modern fiction though. I love the way this story unfolded and how creepy it is.

message 20: by Kat (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kat I'm afraid this is one book I have started but never finished, which is something I don't like to do. It is still on my shelf, and I do intend to pick it up again, one day...

Gwynn White So glag I am not alone in my dislike for this book. Booooring knows no bounds!