Around the World discussion

Personal Lists 2011-2013 > Jennifer L's Book Log

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (last edited Mar 26, 2012 05:25AM) (new)

Jennifer Lavoie | 23 comments I forgot about this group! Luckily I've still managed to read some books for it, though! And I caught myself before it was too late to start!

I'm keeping track of the order of my countries, and all books I have read will include the cover image and title as links to the book, as well as a review. OCD much? Nah. :)

Started in: Iraq
Just left: Switzerland
Next stop!: Norway

Afghanistan
A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini

Australia
The Magician's Apprentice by Trudi Canavan

Belgium
Memoirs of Hadrian by Marguerite Yourcenar

China
Red Scarf Girl A Memoir of the Cultural Revolution by Ji-li Jiang Red Scarf Girl: A Memoir of the Cultural Revolution by Ji-li Jiang

Review can be found here!

Egypt
Akhenaten, Dweller in Truth by Naguib Mahfouz

Iraq
IraqiGirl Diary of a Teenage Girl in Iraq by IraqiGirl IraqiGirl: Diary of a Teenage Girl in Iraq by Hadiya

Israel
When I Was a Soldier by Valerie Zenatti

Italy
something by Umberto Eco... don't know yet.

Japan
Coin Locker Babies by Ryu Murakami
I started this book a loooong time ago and only got ten pages in. I need to find it and finish it. Perfect excuse!

Kenya
Facing the Lion Growing Up Maasai on the African Savanna by Joseph Lemasolai Lekuton Facing the Lion: Growing Up Maasai on the African Savanna by Joseph Lemasolai Lekuton

Nigeria
Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Norway
Kon-Tiki by Thor Heyerdhal

Russia
Crime and Punishment by Fyodor Dostoevsky

Sierra Leone - West Africa
A Long Way Gone by Ishmael Beah

Spain
The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Switzerland
Chariots of the Gods by Erich von Däniken Chariots of the Gods by Erich von Däniken

Turkey
Bliss: A Novel by Zulfu Livaneli

United Kingdom
The Enemy (The Enemy #1) by Charlie Higson The Enemy by Charlie Higson

Wales
The Little Stranger by Sarah Waters

message 2: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2212 comments Good start, Jennifer. I just finished The Shadow of the Wind and loved it.

message 3: by Betty (last edited Oct 27, 2011 06:52PM) (new)

Betty Asma (everydayabook) Akhenaten, Dweller in Truth is a nice surprise, Jennifer. I wasn't aware of it. Although, Akhenaten and Mahfouz are Egyptian.

Eco can sometimes require commentary to explain historical figures and Latin, unless you are a whiz kid. I saw the movie of the Eco mystery novel and read the book, of course, The Name of the Rose, as I mentioned elsewhere, using The Key to The Name of the Rose: Including Translations of All Non-English Passages. I liked the suspenseful plot and the medieval setting but the endings of the two medias differ.

Then, I still have a cellophane-wrapped copy of The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana, also an Eco novel, which a Danish train station vendor sold. The reader of this Eco work might want this chapter-by-chapter commentary http://literarywiki.org/index.php?tit...

These many Personal Lists are making me excavate my buried literary treasures.

message 4: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lavoie | 23 comments Judy wrote: "Good start, Jennifer. I just finished The Shadow of the Wind and loved it."

I've had it for a while now but never read it. I'm glad to hear someone else enjoyed it. :) Maybe I'll start with that one when the time comes.

message 5: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lavoie | 23 comments Asmah wrote: "Akhenaten, Dweller in Truth is a nice surprise, Jennifer. I wasn't aware of it. Although, Akhenaten and Mahfouz are Egyptian.

Eco can sometimes require commentary to explain historica..."

I was looking for something interesting for Egypt, and I have a fascination with Akhenaten. I've read quite a few articles on him and of course my books on Ancient Egypt where he is mentioned, but I had never heard of this one. I was thrilled to find it.

Having worked at a bookstore I've seen Eco for years but never picked him up. Thanks for the tip on him! I'll enjoy the challenge.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1297 comments Mod
Hi Jennifer! You can of course post your list in process, this is up to you. Welcome, and I have added your selections so far to the master list. As you add items, please either let me know or leave a comment here so I can keep everything up to date.

The Ryu Murakami sounds really interesting! And I also have The Shadow of the Wind on my list.

The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana is a quicker read than The Name of the Rose, because of all the illustrations. I'm not sure it is as memorable. I still have Foucault's Pendulum to read too.

message 7: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lavoie | 23 comments Jenny wrote: "Hi Jennifer! You can of course post your list in process, this is up to you. Welcome, and I have added your selections so far to the master list. As you add items, please either let me know or l..."

Thanks! I added some more. Ryu Murakami is an interesting writer. Very gritty... the beginning of the book disturbed me and that's why I put it down when I did.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1297 comments Mod
Ok I made the updates I think. :)

message 9: by Sue (new)

Sue Jennifer, Akhenaten, Dweller in Truth looks good and its not even a long book as most of Mahfouz seems to be. Thanks for bringing it to our attention. I may add it to my list for Egypt, if not 2012 then later.

message 10: by Betty (new)

Betty Asma (everydayabook) Jenny wrote: "...The Mysterious Flame of Queen Loana is a quicker read than The Name of the Rose, because of all the illustrations."

Right, Jenny. As I recalled "...Queen Loana" is a graphic novel, or has more graphics than the usual novel has, but I couldn't verify the fact not wanting to tear the cellophane wrapping. My edition's book cover is a work of art, if you know what I mean. I also noticed that this phrase, "An Illustrated Novel", is plainly written. I appreciate your mentioning its peculiarity.

message 11: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lavoie | 23 comments Updating the comment section as well as the first post. Just left Iraq after reading IraqiGirl: Diary of a Teenage Girl in Iraq. Review can be found in message 1.

Next stop, China! Reading Red Scarf Girl.

message 12: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lavoie | 23 comments Wow, already read and finished Red Scarf Girl. Not sure where to head next! I've got a pile to choose from...

message 13: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2212 comments Hahaha I'm glad you remembered us again, Jennifer!

message 14: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lavoie | 23 comments Judy wrote: "Hahaha I'm glad you remembered us again, Jennifer!"

Me too! Hopefully I can keep it up and reach my goal. :)

message 15: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lavoie | 23 comments Got another amazing book read. Another YA title, but worthy of a read even to adults. If you need something for Kenya, check out Facing the Lion: Growing Up Maasai on the African Savanna.

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lavoie | 23 comments Currently reading Erich von Daniken's Chariots of the Gods which is interesting because the author is from Switzerland, which is where I'm counting it, but it literally is nonfiction that takes place all over the world and through many points in history and prehistory.

message 17: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lavoie | 23 comments Just finished Chariots of the Gods! Review is above. Overall not a bad book, but now I don't know where to go!

message 18: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Lavoie | 23 comments Heading into Norway with Kon-Tiki. My boyfriend gave me a copy of the book to read because I'm an Odyssey of the Mind coach and my team is doing a balsa tower. The book is about a man who makes an incredible journey on a balsa raft supposedly. Should be interesting!

message 19: by Judy (new)

Judy (patchworkcat) | 2212 comments Jennifer wrote: "Heading into Norway with Kon-Tiki. My boyfriend gave me a copy of the book to read because I'm an Odyssey of the Mind coach and my team is doing a balsa tower. The book is about a man..."

I liked this book a lot. Hope you will find it enjoyable.

message 20: by Sue (new)

Sue I read Kon tiki and Aku Aku, The Secret Of Easter Island years ago, I think when I was in high school, and I've never read them since. I'm looking forward to your review.

message 21: by Valerie (new)

Valerie | 19 comments My husband bought meThe Shadow of the Wind for Christmas this year, and I keep hearing great things about it. I picked up Coin Locker Babies at a book sale because a friend of mine said it was fantastic and that he was obsessed with it.