The Zombie Group! discussion

Your #1 Must See Zombie Movie

Comments Showing 1-46 of 46 (46 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Riah (new)

Riah (Moscato) If you had to choose one zombie movie everyone should see, what would it be and why?

message 2: by Dan (new)

Dan | 3 comments Dawn of the Dead the original is my favorite, but if your'e trying to get people interested in zombies...definitely Zombieland. Its modern, its funny (but not a comedy), it takes zombies seriously, lots of action, not terribly cheesy, and it follows all of the rules of a good zombie movie, even pokes fun at some of them.

message 3: by Riah (new)

Riah (Moscato) Any movies. Old, new, whichever is your favorite. I do love Zombieland though. Is it based of the Zombie Survival Guide book?

message 4: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Winning | 104 comments Tough question! For the modern audience, I agree with Zombieland, but also suggest Shaun of the Dead, because it's accessible to a general audience, and it takes a jab at many zombie stereotypes. Also...hilarious!

For a more intellectual audience, I would have to say Night of the Living Dead because without it, we would probably not be having this discussion!

message 5: by Riah (new)

Riah (Moscato) I think it's more like evil spirits than zombies. That's just my opinion.

message 6: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Winning | 104 comments Another great one that maybe not for everyone if they aren't familiar with a lot of zombie films is Pontypool. It's a Canadian film (and actually a book ).Pontypool Changes Everything: A Novel

I wouldn't suggest it to those who don't appreciate the genre in its entirety though.

message 7: by Whitney (new)

Whitney Can't pick one: I'd say the original George Romero trilogy as the primer on the modern zombie, Peter Jackson's 'Braindead' (aka 'Dead Alive') for those who love gory humor, 'I Walked With a Zombie' as a great atmospheric classic, and 'Cemetery Man' for those who appreciate Rupert Everett soaking wet and wielding a shovel.

message 8: by Kevin (new)

Kevin | 7 comments My number one would be Dawn Of The Dead (the original), number two would be 28 days later - if only for the haunting soundtrack and at number three I would have Zombieland. Who can't love a film in which Bill Murray dies because of a practical joke that goes wrong involving him dressing up as a zombie and scaring a nervous young man who is toting a shotgun?

message 9: by Holden (new)

Holden Attradies If I had to choose just one I would have to go for either the original Night of the Living Dead or Shawn of the Dead, but its a hard choice to make.

message 10: by David (new)

David (davidmoody) | 25 comments Mod
I think Shaun of the Dead is one of the very best 'by the numbers' zombie movies, in that it actually takes the rising up of the dead pretty seriously. The brilliant humour comes from the cast of idiot characters - we're laughing at the living, not the dead.

By contrast, Peter Jackson's Brain Dead is the best slapstick zombie comedy, in my opinion.

I think my favourites must be Romero's original trilogy - Night, Dawn and Day. I try and put his later zombie movies from my mind though...

message 11: by Steven (new)

Steven Schlozman | 7 comments In terms of a smart, game changing movie, I'd go with the original Dawn of the Dead. The social commentary is sharp, it is funny as hell, manages also to be scary as hell, and it set the stage really for zombies to be part of a very dark tongue in cheek vehicle for scrutinizing the way we humans act like baboons. The most high brow zombie movie I've ever seen is Pontypool. There, language itself is the vector for the creating zombies, and it ends up feeling like a movie Lacan would have made had he liked zombies.

message 12: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Winning | 104 comments I watched Pontypool late one night flipping through the channels. I always get so excited when there's a zombie movie I haven't seen or even heard of. I LOVED the premise. Any (zombie) movie that gets you thinking deeper is what we need more of. As I said though, I think to fully appreciate the film, one need to appreciate the genre.

I haven't seen Brain Dead, although I probably should. I'm just not a fan of the campy films. lol @ David! I agree with you on the later films. Although I didn't mind Diary of the Dead and the more recent Day of the Dead.

I think the original question in this discussion need refinement: what is the intended purpose of having someone watch the film? Are you are naming the film as an encompassment of the genre? Are you suggesting a specific film (or series) as the antecedent for the genre? Are you trying to get someone to fully appreciate the genre?

message 13: by The_dude (new)

The_dude | 1 comments 28 days later for all its twists and turns and the whole "LOST" kind of feel to it.

message 14: by David (new)

Has anyone seen 'The Dead'? I was really surprised by it. The story and pacing left a lot to be desired, but visually it's incredible. It was shot in Africa and as well as the beautiful locations, it has classic, old-school Romero zombies. Well worth a look.

message 15: by Ruby (new)

Ruby  Tombstone Lives! (rubytombstone) I could never pick just one. Obviously NoTLD is the classic, but there's so many great films depending on what you're looking for. RoTLD is hilarious, Dead Snow is creepy and hilarious, [REC] is truly creepy...... Don't get me started!

And again - so glad people are talking about Pontypool. I'm reading the book right now, and it's AMAZING. Very different to the film, but still amazing.

message 16: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Winning | 104 comments David wrote: "Has anyone seen 'The Dead'? I was really surprised by it. The story and pacing left a lot to be desired, but visually it's incredible. It was shot in Africa and as well as the beautiful locations, ..."

I've heard of it, but have never seen it.I'll have to have a peek!

message 17: by Shawn Riddle (new)

Shawn Riddle | 19 comments David wrote: "Has anyone seen 'The Dead'? I was really surprised by it. The story and pacing left a lot to be desired, but visually it's incredible. It was shot in Africa and as well as the beautiful locations, ..."

I have never once disagreed with you David until now. We saw "The Dead" at Zombcon and I have to say I agree with the location of the shoot and the Romeroesque zombies being spot on and well done. However, the movie in my opinion has fatal flaws, it was very dull and predictable in my opinion.The low budget doesnt bother me, just the highly predictable nature and the actions of the characters being so in many cases it just made it very hard for me to swallow. However, that being said, I have an unusual talent for being able to know whats going to happen in most books/movies i see and read. Very few times have I been surprised by an author, and of course, you are one fo them David. Cheers.

message 18: by David (new)

Shawn... I don't think we're in disagreement here! I thought the script and performances were dire in places. The story had little clear development. That said, I still think it's worth a look because, visually, it's a good movie.

message 19: by Shawn Riddle (new)

Shawn Riddle | 19 comments Visually, we agree 100%, i think my main problem was there was little to no build up and no pay off. I like "slow burners" but they need to satisfy you. This one left me thinking about nothing other than getting the heck out of the bloody theater. I also think when they showed certain scenes and the zombies popping out from everywhere, the realism dies right there. They're in the middle of Sierra Leonne, not a densly populated area, yet there were undead everywhere, in large packs. Not to say there wouldnt be one or two wherever you went, but the amounts weren't right.

message 20: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Winning | 104 comments What about "Dead Set"? Although not a movie, still pretty awesome! We didn't get it broadcast in Canada till years after it aired in the UK...Thank goodness for the internet!

message 21: by Alexis (new)

Alexis Winning | 104 comments David wrote: "Has anyone seen 'The Dead'? I was really surprised by it. The story and pacing left a lot to be desired, but visually it's incredible. It was shot in Africa and as well as the beautiful locations, ..."

I just finished watching it! Not too bad actually. I agree about the pacing, but definitely up my alley. Kind of missed the good ol shamblers.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Shawn of the dead was quite funny and alot more realistic than zombie land who finds a bag o guns in an unlocked car with the cars keys inside I mean come on but zombie land is second

message 23: by Gav (new)

Gav (gavonio) | 1 comments My current favourite is The Horde. It's a french film about a four police types who try to storm a derelict block of flats to kill some gangsters. They get captured by the gangsters, then the dead arise and all hell breaks loose. There's some amazing hand to hand combat with zombies which is a first to me.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1183276/

message 24: by Jerome (new)

Jerome (gtgs) | 4 comments Night of the living dead; I try and watch when ever it's on.

message 25: by Randy (last edited Mar 31, 2012 03:26AM) (new)

Randy Harmelink | 31 comments Both the two Dawn of the Dead and the two Night of the Living Dead are at the top for me, followed closely by Return of the Living Dead.

If you like strange movies, check out Cemetery Man.

Over on the AllThingsZombie forum, there has been a lot of praise for the new release, The Dead. It just never caught my interest while I was watching it. I was almost bored. Not sure why.

I hate the TNT broadcasts of Dawn of the Dead (2004). They basically end the film at the closing credits. So it more or less has a happy ending.

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

I am gonna hope someone might have seen this one other than me. Shattered Dead is my fav zombie movie of all time.

message 27: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 6 comments I'd have to say the original Dawn of the Dead. Fido is another one of my many favorites.

message 28: by Steven (new)

Steven Simpson (simmo837) | 13 comments I'd have to say either Dawn of the dead ( original ) but I also like the 1990 remake of night of the living dead with Tony Todd in! Also I love the return of the living dead films.

message 29: by George (new)

George III (glc3) | 19 comments THE HORDE. Hated the ending but it's a great movie overall.

message 30: by CasualDebris (new)

CasualDebris The existential brilliance of Cemetery Man.

message 31: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 6 comments My ever growing Zombie collection. Photobucket

message 32: by Holden (new)

Holden Attradies Aaron wrote: "My ever growing Zombie collection.

"

Aaron, I totally found my self wanting to see what percentage of those are on my shelf. I adore that they are alphabetized, my shelf is the same way (although I have all the Romero films together under "r"). I also have continual inner debate as to where to put [oRec] alphabetically.

message 33: by Aaron (new)

Aaron | 6 comments I thought about keeping Romero's Films together but decided against it. Since the pic was taken though I've added City of the living Dead, Grindhouse's Planet Terror, and Fido. Also debatable as a Zombie movie is House by the Cemetery.

message 34: by S.M. (new)

S.M. Oberhansley (smober) | 4 comments All my answers have already been said- Dawn of the Dead, Zombieland, 28 Days Later, Resident Evil, Shawn of the Dead.

I wasn't sure how I felt about the movie "The Zombie Diaries." Who else has seen it? What did you think?

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

The Omega Man. 1970's flick with Charleton Heston. It's based on Richard Matheson's "I Am Legend", but they're Zombies (or close enough for Hollywood).

message 36: by Sonia (new)

Sonia (stixaz) | 1 comments "Dawn of the Dead" remake does it for me. If I pass by it when I'm channel surfing it always hooks me.

message 37: by Steven (new)

Steven Simpson (simmo837) | 13 comments Cockneys v zombies is really good if you enjoy the comedy horrors like Sean of the dead give it s go large British cast!

message 38: by Randy (new)

Randy Harmelink | 31 comments Sonia wrote: ""Dawn of the Dead" remake does it for me. If I pass by it when I'm channel surfing it always hooks me."

The editing kills it for me for channel surfing. Especially on TNT -- which flies the ending credits by, so anyone unfamiliar with them would assume the movie has a happy ending.

message 39: by Kim (new)

Kim | 2 comments Diary of the Dead was pretty good, Zombieland was awesome! And of course, Dawn of the Dead...the remake. I've heard great reviews about the original, so will hopefully get around to watching it some time :)

message 40: by Steven (new)

Steven Simpson (simmo837) | 13 comments Wow you've not seen the original dawn of the dead? It's way better than the remake! You must see it!!!!!

message 41: by Steven (new)

Steven Simpson (simmo837) | 13 comments Sean of the dead return of the living dead and return of the living dead 2 are great if you like the comedy side of zombies!!!

message 42: by Kim (new)

Kim | 2 comments Ahh I know, my brother was telling me about it :P Will definately need to see it, hopefully not when I'm home alone though :P I've heard it's terrifying :(

Shaun of the Dead was hilarious! Kind of liked Zombieland better though, probably because the awesome soundtrack really helped...and the presence of both Woody Harrellson and Bill Murray :D

message 43: by Mark (new)

Mark McLaughlin (mark_mclaughlin) | 29 comments Best zombie movie ever .... the original NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD! FYI, I once wrote a short story with my friend Kyra Schon, who played the little zombie girl in the movie - it's featured in my book, Beach Blanket Zombie: Weird Tales of the Undead and Other Humanoid Horrors.

My next favorite zombie movie would probably be CITY OF THE LIVING DEAD, since I love Fulci movies.

message 44: by zombiereadz (new)

zombiereadz | 1 comments Steven wrote: "Cockneys v zombies is really good if you enjoy the comedy horrors like Sean of the dead give it s go large British cast!"

I adore that movie!

message 45: by Mark (new)

Mark McLaughlin (mark_mclaughlin) | 29 comments Per some of the comments above, zombies and comedy go naturally together in movies for so many reasons. Consider this: Many zombies just shuffle around, rotting and perhaps dropping parts along the way. They have one-track minds: let's eat! They are easily provoked but easily fooled. In other words, they are just like humanity at its comedic worst! As we get older and/or let ourselves go, we just shuffle along, wondering what's to eat -- ready to bite people's heads off! They are simply humanity reflected in a dark funhouse mirror.

message 46: by Fiona (new)

Fiona Titchenell | 5 comments Alexis wrote: "Tough question! For the modern audience, I agree with Zombieland, but also suggest Shaun of the Dead, because it's accessible to a general audience, and it takes a jab at many zombie stereotypes. A..."

Oh, those would be my top 2 as well, and I can't decide between them. I like humor with my zombies, and only non-sentient zombies feel like zombies to me.