Authors Lounge discussion

Discussions > How to promote your book on Goodreads

Comments Showing 1-37 of 37 (37 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Everly (new)

Everly Anders | 16 comments Here is an article I wrote about the correct way to promote on goodreads.com. Apparently Goodreads liked it because they tweeted it to their followers. I hope it helps you! Let me know what you think.
http://editioselfpublishing.com/how-t...

message 2: by Yianna (new)

Yianna Yiannacou | 5 comments Very nice.. well written... all true.
After joining this site I have noticed more people buying my book. The site isn't only about getting people to buy your book though. I also found many people who share the love of books and the button 'Compare books' is so much fun because I can see what people have rated a book that I have read.
Love it!
I don't know what I did without being a member of this site!!

message 3: by Everly (new)

Everly Anders | 16 comments Yianna wrote: "Very nice.. well written... all true.
After joining this site I have noticed more people buying my book. The site isn't only about getting people to buy your book though. I also found many people..."

I'm glad you liked it. Yes your right, Goodreads is a whole culture. I love that I have a manageable place to keep all the books I want to read. My list is getting so long!

message 4: by Yianna (new)

Yianna Yiannacou | 5 comments I know. I have a problem. I keep adding many books to my to-read list but I just don't have the time to read them all. I have already read over 50 books this year and I can't stop.
I should be writing, but when a good book pulls me in, there is no turning back!! haha

message 5: by Everly (new)

Everly Anders | 16 comments Yianna wrote: "I know. I have a problem. I keep adding many books to my to-read list but I just don't have the time to read them all. I have already read over 50 books this year and I can't stop.
I should be wr..."

Wow 50 books! that inspires me to pick up the pace. I think I am at half that, mostly because I force myself to write first, but secretly I wish I was reading.

message 6: by Tawny (new)

Tawny Stokes (tawny_stokes) | 3 comments Elle wrote: "Here is an article I wrote about the correct way to promote on goodreads.com. Apparently Goodreads liked it because they tweeted it to their followers. I hope it helps you! Let me know what you thi..."

Whaaa!! I can't read the article. It won't come up for me. I haz a sad. See? :-(

message 7: by Randy (new)

Randy Attwood (randyatwood) | 97 comments Elle wrote: "Here is an article I wrote about the correct way to promote on goodreads.com. Apparently Goodreads liked it because they tweeted it to their followers. I hope it helps you! Let me know what you thi..."

Have printed out to add to my marketing folder for study!

message 8: by David (new)

David Santos (authordas) Ive read many articles like this one. I kind of dropped the ball, I left to focus on Facebook. I should make a schedule. An hour a day keeps my stress away. Starting Sunday I will make a shedule and try to do the things mentioned in the article. Discipline children.

message 9: by Everly (new)

Everly Anders | 16 comments Thank you! Hope it helps. There are actually a lot of good articles on that website. A lot of them really helped me.
Elle

message 10: by [deleted user] (new)

Elle wrote: "Here is an article I wrote about the correct way to promote on goodreads.com. Apparently Goodreads liked it because they tweeted it to their followers. I hope it helps you! Let me know what you thi..."

Nice work! I'm going to include it as a resource in my DIY Guide. :)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I hope it is okay to post this here and delete it if it is not, but I'm really into eBooks and it frustrated me that Goodreads doesn't have an eBook giveaway option.

So, I created a group called eBook Giveaways where readers and writers and book bloggers can connect. Writers post their giveaways and readers are encouraged to read and leave a review.

I actively recruit readers on Twitter, FB, Google+, etc. and it is open and welcome to use. Post under the correct month because I do move the folders to the bottom once that month is over.

message 12: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Schneider (triciaschneider) | 4 comments Elle wrote: "Here is an article I wrote about the correct way to promote on goodreads.com. Apparently Goodreads liked it because they tweeted it to their followers. I hope it helps you! Let me know what you thi..."

Interesting article! I wish I knew if spending more time on GR = more sales for me. There's really no way for me to tell. Luckily, I love reading and I'll spend time on here chatting and learning about new books regardless!

message 13: by Tricia (new)

Tricia Schneider (triciaschneider) | 4 comments Coral wrote: "I hope it is okay to post this here and delete it if it is not, but I'm really into eBooks and it frustrated me that Goodreads doesn't have an eBook giveaway option.

So, I created a group called ..."

It bothered me too that GR doesn't allow e-book giveaways. I was very disappointed to learn about that since my books are e-books.

message 14: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Bowers (bridgetbowers) | 212 comments Elle wrote: "Here is an article I wrote about the correct way to promote on goodreads.com. Apparently Goodreads liked it because they tweeted it to their followers. I hope it helps you! Let me know what you thi..."

That was an excellent article Elle, thanks so much for sharing. It really does make a difference if you engage the community. There are so many great people out there. My trouble is not getting sucked into reading posts all day long and actually getting some writing done.

message 15: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan (jonathan_maberry) | 4 comments Good stuff. Thanks, Elle.

message 16: by Jeanette (new)

Jeanette Hornby (goodreadscomuser_jeanettehornby) | 16 comments Good point Shane.

message 17: by [deleted user] (new)

This is an excellent article, I really liked how you talked about just communicating with people instead of trying to advertise. I wondered if this really worked and it seems like it does. I've joined some great communities on Goodreads and I'm learning more all of the time.

message 18: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Bowers (bridgetbowers) | 212 comments Shane wrote: "If I may I would like to add a piece of advice that served me very well when dealing with goodreads. It isn't so much the amount of books you reviewed but what books you have reviewed. You see peop..."

Great tip, Shane. It is very much about catching someone's eyes and offering them something they can't find everywhere else they look.

message 19: by Randy (new)

Randy Attwood (randyatwood) | 97 comments Shane wrote: "If I may I would like to add a piece of advice that served me very well when dealing with goodreads. It isn't so much the amount of books you reviewed but what books you have reviewed. You see peop..."

This is so tough for me because I've never considered that I'm a good book reviewer. Reviewing books is its own art form, in my opinion. Some writers, like John Updike, were wonderful at it. Others never did it. This is a real dilemma for me. And I would have to be honest about my opinion and they might just make enemies.

message 20: by KaSonndra (new)

KaSonndra Leigh (alestasia) | 6 comments Elle wrote: "Here is an article I wrote about the correct way to promote on goodreads.com. Apparently Goodreads liked it because they tweeted it to their followers. I hope it helps you! Let me know what you thi..."

I have made some really good new friends on here since I joined. And when people see you're genuinely passionate about reading, writing, etc. then the rest kind of flows into place.

KaSonndra

message 21: by Randy (new)

Randy Attwood (randyatwood) | 97 comments Shane wrote: "Randy wrote: "Shane wrote: "If I may I would like to add a piece of advice that served me very well when dealing with goodreads. It isn't so much the amount of books you reviewed but what books you..."

Shane, good advice. Think I'll give it a try.

message 22: by Sabine (new)

Sabine Reed (sabineareed) | 24 comments Elle wrote: "Here is an article I wrote about the correct way to promote on goodreads.com. Apparently Goodreads liked it because they tweeted it to their followers. I hope it helps you! Let me know what you thi..."

Excellent Article, Elle. I think I may in future link back to it from my own blog.

message 23: by Libbie Hawker (new)

Libbie Hawker (L.M. Ironside) (lmironside) | 9 comments Great article, Elle! I have been keeping my own thoughts on using Goodreads on my blog, and they are much the same as your own. It is such an effective tool, but only if used correctly.

message 24: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Zanetti Hi all. I splurged and created a Goodreads advertisement for my newest release. Goodreads sends a report each day with how many people have viewed the ad, clicked on the ad, and added the book to their shelf. I only get charged for the clicks.

What's interesting (and why I'm posting this) is that many people add the book to their shelf without clicking on the advertisement...so it doesn't cost me anything.

Of course, some of those people may have added the book because they saw it somewhere else, or liked someone's review, but I'd say the advertisement is helping. Just wanted to share. :)

message 25: by [deleted user] (new)

Rebecca wrote: "Hi all. I splurged and created a Goodreads advertisement for my newest release. Goodreads sends a report each day with how many people have viewed the ad, clicked on the ad, and added the book to..."

Thanks for sharing that Rebecca, I really wondered if spending the money of advertising here helps. I think it is also great they do not charge you unless someone clicks on your ads. Does it get expensive fast though? I might consider this for my next book.

message 26: by Bridget (new)

Bridget Bowers (bridgetbowers) | 212 comments I've often felt reluctant to write reviews as well. Then I started paying more attention to the style some reviewers used and asked my friends what kind of reviews caught there attention. It seems to be no matter if you want something deep or simple, just be honest with your opinion.

If you liked it say so and share a reason why. It doesn't have to be something earth shattering. Most of the responses I've heard are that both readers and authors just what to know what worked for you or what didn't.

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura Lee | 2 comments Is it tacky to post quotes from your own book in the quotes section? It seems as though having some of your quotes on there might get people interested in reading more of the book, and I would love it if other people posted some of mine, but no one has.

message 28: by Paul (new)

Paul Vincent (astronomicon) | 67 comments Is there any chance of an updated link? That one doesn't work for me (keeps saying that http://editioselfpublishing.com doesn't exist).

message 29: by Sheila (new)

Sheila | 1 comments I'm having the same problem as Paul. I want to read the article, but the link doesn't work.

message 30: by Paul (new)

Paul Vincent (astronomicon) | 67 comments I'm hoping that the site is only down temporarily as I am really keen to read that article.

Glad it's not just me having the problem, Sheila.

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura Lee | 2 comments I had the problem too.

message 32: by Rachel (new)

Rachel Eliason (RachelEliason) I found the article on her blog: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...
It's very interesting and good advice. I really liked the part about being part of the community, rather than just trying to advertise to them. It's a fine line between promoting your work and spamming everyone in the group some times.

message 33: by Nike (new)

Nike Chillemi Rachel wrote: "I found the article on her blog: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...
It's very interesting and good advice. I really liked the part about being part of the communi..."

It worked at that link for me. Thx.

message 34: by Paul (new)

Paul Vincent (astronomicon) | 67 comments Thanks for finding that! I'm off to read it now. :)

message 35: by Jim (new)

Jim Kukral (jimkukral) | 12 comments Elle wrote: "Here is an article I wrote about the correct way to promote on goodreads.com. Apparently Goodreads liked it because they tweeted it to their followers. I hope it helps you! Let me know what you thi..."

Says the website cannot be found?

message 36: by Paul (new)

Paul Vincent (astronomicon) | 67 comments Have you read the last few posts?

message 37: by Douglas (new)

Douglas Brown (douglasbrown) | 7 comments very good article. I find it is the same with Facebook, Goodreads, other forums, and even your own blog or blog commenting. People will begin glossing over your comments if they are always promotional. I have also tried the advertising on GR and I believe it has helped me sell a couple of books, but if you do it, your goal needs to be getting your book out there and not makining money. For ex. My ad costs .50 per click. If every person who clicked on the ad actually bought the book, I would make a small profit when my publisher sends me my royalty check. But, of course, that doesn't happen. I consider it building my brand.