Anything Goes discussion

ARCHIVES > December themed read

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Bridgette (new)

Bridgette | 1282 comments Mod
time to suggest a genre for december. :)
i think crime

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) I'll cast the first victim and sugguest.... Dark Of The Moonby John Sandford the first "Virgil Flowers" crime story.

Dark Of The Moon (Virgil Flowers, #1) by John Sandford

message 3: by JackieB (new)

JackieB | 251 comments Dark of the Moon looks good. I'm going to have to add that to my to read list. We could also think about
Corridors of Death: Robert Amiss Series, Book 1

message 4: by Bridgette (new)

may i remind members they are suppose to suggest genres not books for the themed reads.
i am only doing job moderator i dont mean it in a personal way.
B

message 5: by JackieB (last edited Nov 03, 2011 06:15AM) (new)

JackieB | 251 comments Sorry, I forgot that. How about dystopian books then?

message 6: by Bridgette (new)

im also going to nominate fantasy, to go with my first nomination of crime. :P

message 7: by Bridgette (new)

Any more nominations?

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Bridgette wrote: "Any more nominations?"

I like Skipping Christmas for the laughs and Norah Lofts Christmas story. I always write the title wrong. I also like Christmas stories about cute little furry animals. I grabbed one at the library last year and it was so cheering but I have mostly forgotten it now.

Skipping Christmas
How Far to Bethlehem?
The Christmas Dog

message 9: by Bridgette (new)

Poll is now up so dont forget to cast your vote now. :)

message 10: by Carole (new)

Carole | 74 comments Hi all--my name is Carole and I'm new here--sounded like a fun book club so I joined! One of my favorite genres is crime fiction especially the Alex Cross series by James Patterson--but when I saw the suggestion about "Dark of the Moon" by John Sandford I did some research into book reviews and this book sounds pretty good. Has a decision already been made or is the voting still open?

message 11: by JackieB (last edited Dec 01, 2011 10:31AM) (new)

JackieB | 251 comments Hi Carole, its nice to mneet you. I hope you enjoy our group.
We got a bit confused this time around but what we normally do is suggest a theme to read not a single book. We decided to do that so that we can all be encouraged to read out of our normal genres from time to time, but we have a bit of flexibility which means we might be able to find something from our TBR pile which fits the theme. This is good because it means that we get to read one of our TBR books. However, the drawback is that we hear about what everyone else has read and think it sounds good, so our TBR lists grow longer.
It looks like the poll is closed now for December and our theme is fantasy. There should be a thread asking for themes for next month up soon, so you can suggest crime fiction for January's theme.

message 12: by Carole (new)

Carole | 74 comments OK--fantasy isn't one of my usual genres but if I can get recommendations from the group--I'm willing to give it a try! I get the majority of my books from the library and sometimes have to be on the waiting list--so I will need a name soon--Carole

message 13: by JackieB (last edited Dec 07, 2011 07:26AM) (new)

JackieB | 251 comments Hi Carole,
About ideas for fantasy writers, I noticed you like Janet Evanovich's books, so I thought about funny fantasy books. The two fantasy authors which spring to mind are
Tom Holt and Terry Pratchett. Don't get Terry Pratchets's first book though, it's not very good. I really like the books which feature the nightwatch (i.e. his police force). You can tell from the synopsis which characters are included in the books.
If you'd rather try a detective/fantasy book there are quite a few, but here are some ideas
Simon Green - some of his are a kind of supernatural parody of James Bond (e.g. "the man with the golden torc") but his Nightside series features a supernatural detective. He's writing a lot of other series too, which I don't know about but if you like the look of them, why not give them a try?
Jim Butcher also writes about a supernatural detective. I wasn't particularly struck by his first book and other readers have told me his series took a while to get going, but is worth sticking with because it is very good once it warms up. I did enjoy his collection of short stories Side Jobs: Stories From the Dresden Files though.
My final fantasy detective suggestion is Ben Aaronovitch. He writes about a London policeman who discovers he has psychic abilities and is transferred into a secret branch of the police force which deals with the supernatural. I loved the first book in this series and might read the second for this month's read. The policeman narrates the book and has a rather cynical sense of humour which I really enjoyed.

Another possibility is a collection of short stories. That way you aren't stuck with one author and should find somthing you like. The only collection I know of (other that the Jin Butcher collection I suggested above) is
Many Bloody Returns.

I think that's plenty of ideas. I hope it's not too many, but I thought you might want to try to get a library book rather than buy one since you don't normally read this genre. I've given you plenty of ideas in the hope that some will be available from your library if you belong to one.

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Miracle On I-40

I just read this little book with another group and I enjoyed it immensely. its a perfect read for Christmas.

message 15: by Carole (new)

Carole | 74 comments Thanks JackieB for the suggestions--I get all my books from the library--can't afford to buy or store them at the rate I read! Think I will try the first in the series featuring Peter Grant by Ben Aaronovitch--there are a few people ahead of me on the waiting list--but hopefully I can get it before the end of December! What is the genre/book for January--or have we decided? Have you ever read Kay Hooper? She writes about a psychic FBI unit of profilers led by Noah Bishop--it's a really good series!

message 16: by JackieB (last edited Dec 08, 2011 05:19AM) (new)

JackieB | 251 comments I hope you enjoy Rivers of London. I certainly did. I haven't read any of Kay Hooper's books though. They look good. I've added one to my TBR list. It might not end up being the first I read because it looks like the library have't got that one, but it'll remind me to look out for her.
We don't have a genre for January yet. The way it works is that Bridgette sets up a thread each month for the following month. So January's book is being discussed in the "January themed read" thread. At the moment, anyone who wants to nominate a theme posts a message in that thread suggesting the theme. Around about the middle of the month, Bridgette will create a poll with all of the suggestions listed, but she'll warn everyone a few days before by posting a message in the January Themed read thread, so people can make so last minute suggestions if they want to. Once the poll is open, we all vote for the theme we want. To get to the poll, scroll to the top of this page and look on the right. You'll see "anything goes" and a list of options. If you click on "polls" (right at the bottom of the list) it'll take you into the polls section. You get back to the discussion by clicking on the word discussion in the list on the right.

I hope all that is clear.

message 17: by Carole (new)

Carole | 74 comments Thanks JackieB--I did find the poll for December--but missed out on the voting--how do we choose the book? And what is Rivers of London? Is that what we chose to read? Sorry--I'll figure it out eventually!!

message 18: by JackieB (last edited Dec 09, 2011 04:19AM) (new)

JackieB | 251 comments As a group we choose the genre, which this month is Fantasy. Then each group member chooses the book they are going to read to fit that genre. So if you want to read Rivers of London for your fantasy read you can. Other readers might also read Rivers of London or they might read other books. Instead of having a discussion about the books we read everyone writes a short summary of the book. It's usually mainly whether they liked it and why (without giving away too much about the plot of course), so everyone else can decide whether to add it to their TBR lists or not.
We think this is a good idea because it gives people a little bit of flexibility while hopefully giving everyone the chance to try new genres. It also means that no one misses out because they've already read the chosen book. Even if we've all read different books, often you can get some discussion going about a book because some members have read it already.

message 19: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments I recently read Rivers of London, and it's superb, but you may also find it under Midnight Riot! Same book, different title, depending upon where you live.

message 20: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 1454 comments I might read a children's fantasy, if that's OK?
I borrowedThe Children of Green Knowe from my daughter ages ago and still haven't read it, so hope that it fits this month's genre.

message 21: by Carole (new)

Carole | 74 comments Thanks all--it is in my library as Midnight Riot and I'm 5th on the waiting list--what about "Curiosity Thrilled the Cat" a magical cat mystery? Would that work for fantasy since it is currently on the shelf at my branch of the library?

message 22: by Carole (new)

Carole | 74 comments Kyle wrote: "I'm reading Homicidal Intent by Vivian ChernHomicidal Intent. Not really Christmas-like material, but I'm already hooked. It's a great read."

Hey Kyle--is that considered fantasy? Looks good so I'm going to check it out--my TBR shelf is bursting at the seams!!

message 23: by Carole (new)

Carole | 74 comments Kyle wrote: "No, it's fiction but not fantasy. It's really good. I haven't been able to put it down. Every chapter has it's own mystery."

Oh God--I can just see my TBR shelf falling over on top of me!!!

message 24: by Carole (new)

Carole | 74 comments Kyle wrote: "LOL, same with my TBR shelf. :)"

OMG Kyle--just peeked at your TBR (hope you don't mind) 2,000 plus books? In this lifetime you think?! Thought mine was out of control--but I can't afford nor do I have the space to buy them anymore--so I get all of mine through my library--usually from hold lists--and that tends to keep things to a dull roar!!

message 25: by Carole (new)

Carole | 74 comments I used to visit the used book stores--but don't have the money or the space for that anymore--and never see hardbacks unless someone gives them to me! I have no idea how many books I've read in my lifetime--couldn't remember them all--I was reading in the adult section of the library at about age 8. But your TBR shelf--the ones you still want to read is awesome to me!!

message 26: by Carole (new)

Carole | 74 comments Kyle wrote: "My TBR shelf...overwhelming at times, but thanks!!"

Kyle-what is your favorite sub-genre of supernatural? I love a good eerie ghost story or creepy haunted house!

message 27: by Carole (new)

Carole | 74 comments Kyle wrote: "So do I, Carol. Books like Hell House by Richard Matheson,The Entity by Frank De Felitta,Nathaniel by John SaulComes the Blind Fury by John SaulBrain Child by John Saul[bookcover:Mid..."

Hey Kyle--what an interesting coincidence--I love John Saul--he maintains a residence in Seattle where I live--but even better--I'm currently reading Midnight Voices--what did you think of it? Hell House was ok--not as eerie and creepy as I like though. I've never read James Herbert--can you give me an idea of his writing style?

message 28: by Carole (last edited Dec 11, 2011 12:52PM) (new)

Carole | 74 comments Kyle wrote: "John Saul is one of my favorite authors. He lives near you? Have you ever met him or been to a book signing?

I have an autographed picture of Saul. Midnight Voices was a great book, I read it la..."

No--apparently he divides his time between here and Miami--but Seattle is a big place!! Where are you located? Are you a member of the Supernatural group as well?

message 29: by Carole (new)

Carole | 74 comments Boston huh?--Never been to the east coast--but someday I hope to make there. Do you read/watch Rizzoli and Isles?! So are you also a member of the Supernatural group? I have never met any of mine either!!

message 30: by Carole (new)

Carole | 74 comments OK--forget about that for now--I'll explain later---just found out that there is a new Dark Shadows movie in production as we speak!! Due to come out sometime next year--starring Johnny Depp as Barnabas. There are videos and trailers posted on youtube--this is so cool!!

message 31: by Carole (new)

Carole | 74 comments Kyle wrote: "I've never seen the original t.v. show Dark Shadows...only read about it, because it's not on in re-runs. Barnabas, there's a name I'll never forget. Johhny Depp is perfect for the role, too. I'll ..."

Rizzoli and Isles is a TNT TV series based on the books about a Boston detective and medical examiner--the author's name escapes me at the moment--but I'll get back to you with that--tried to "friend" you but I confess that I have no idea what the answer is to your challenge question?!!

message 32: by Carole (last edited Dec 11, 2011 11:34PM) (new)

Carole | 74 comments Ok--the book series is written by Tess Gerritsen--they are pretty good--at least I have read them all--latest is called "Ice Cold" and came out not long ago. All set in Boston and yes I've seen "Good Will Hunting"--good movie! Did you know that there is a Dark Shadows thread on the Supernatural goup themes as well as a supernatural film and TV thread?

message 33: by JackieB (new)

JackieB | 251 comments Hi Kyle and carole (and anyone else reading this). Susan Hill writes good ghost stories (check out the synopsis of her books though - she also writes other genres too). I particularly recommend The Woman in Black

message 34: by Angela (last edited Dec 12, 2011 08:11AM) (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 1454 comments How's everyone getting on with their fantasy read this month? I'm really enjoying The Children of Green Knowe - a well written children's book, which is a mixture of fantasy, ghost and family story.

message 35: by Carole (last edited Dec 12, 2011 08:28AM) (new)

Carole | 74 comments Angela wrote: "How's everyone getting on with their fantasy read this month? I'm really enjoying The Children of Green Knowe - a well written children's book, which is a mixture of fantasy, ghost an..."

I'm picking mine up at the library today--but in the meantime I'm in the middle of "Midnight Voices" by John Saul and can't hardly put it down!! I'm reading "Curiosity Thrilled the Cat" by Sofie Kelly for the fantasy thing--brand new experience for me--guess that would be considered a cozy mystery fantasy since it says that it's Magical Cat Book 1--looking forward to it.

message 36: by Carole (new)

Carole | 74 comments JackieB wrote: "Hi Kyle and carole (and anyone else reading this). Susan Hill writes good ghost stories (check out the synopsis of her books though - she also writes other genres too). I particula..."

Hi Jackie--I'm picking up "The Woman in Black" from the library today--it just came in on my hold list-and have heard great things about it!

message 37: by Carole (last edited Dec 12, 2011 12:13PM) (new)

Carole | 74 comments Kyle wrote: "I've never seen Rizzoli and Isles. I'm not a big t.v. watcher. Criminal Minds is about the only program I watch, and The Big Bang Theory.
Tess Gerritsen. First novel I read by her was The Surgeo..."

I have Dennis Lehanne on my TBR list--have you read the rest of the Rizzoli and Isles series? I love Criminal Minds--that and Harry's Law are 2 of my favorites!

message 38: by JackieB (new)

JackieB | 251 comments Angela wrote: "How's everyone getting on with their fantasy read this month? I'm really enjoying The Children of Green Knowe - a well written children's book, which is a mixture of fantasy, ghost an..."
I'm still deciding what to read. I've narrowed it down to Moon Over Soho or Red-headed Stepchild. Both are library books but Red-headed step child needs to go back first, so I guess it'll have to be that one.

message 39: by Carole (new)

Carole | 74 comments Hi Angela-Jackie etc--just picked up my read from the library--"Curiosity Thrilled the Cat" by Sofie Kelly--about 2 magical cats that seem to help their owner when she is accused of a murder--Looks like a fun-easy read!

message 40: by Carole (new)

Carole | 74 comments Hi everyone--I have finished my book for the December fantasy theme read--"Curiosity Thrilled the Cat" by Sophie Kelly. I have reviewed it while trying to stay away from "spoilers" for those of you who might like to read it. I liked it so well that I've already ordered the next in the series "Sleight of Paw" from the library!

message 41: by Angela (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 1454 comments I finished The Children of Green Knowe yesterday and absolutely loved it. Although written for older children, it was so beautifully written that I was captivated by it. It was a gentle ghost story about a young boy spending Christmas with his great grandmother, in their ancient family home of Green Knowe. I enjoyed it so much that my daughter has unearthed the other five books in the series for me; I hope I'm not going to be disappointed!

message 42: by Chris (new)

Chris Stanley (christinelstanley) | 922 comments Angela wrote: "I finished The Children of Green Knowe yesterday and absolutely loved it. Although written for older children, it was so beautifully written that I was captivated by it. It was a gent..."

Got to be added to the TBR then!

message 43: by Carole (new)

Carole | 74 comments Chris wrote: "Angela wrote: "I finished The Children of Green Knowe yesterday and absolutely loved it. Although written for older children, it was so beautifully written that I was captivated by it..."

I agree--it sounds hauntingly good--I can hardly ever pass up a good ghost story!! My TBR is growing at an alarming rate! LOL! And of course it would be a series--should they be read in order, Angela? And is this the first one?

message 44: by Angela (last edited Dec 18, 2011 02:07PM) (new)

Angela (bookangel2) | 1454 comments Carole wrote: "Chris wrote: "Angela wrote: "I finished The Children of Green Knowe yesterday and absolutely loved it. Although written for older children, it was so beautifully written that I was ca..."

I've borrowed the rest of the series from my daughter and according to the information in one of the books, this is the order to read them:
The Children of Green Knowe
An Enemy at Green Knowe
"A Stranger at Green Knowe"
The Chimneys of Green Knowe
"The River at Green Knowe"
"The Stones of Green Knowe"

message 45: by Carole (new)

Carole | 74 comments Angela wrote: "Carole wrote: "Chris wrote: "Angela wrote: "I finished The Children of Green Knowe yesterday and absolutely loved it. Although written for older children, it was so beautifully writte..."

Ok Angela--thanks for that--I put "Children" on my TBR--may be awhile before I can get to it--but good to know the order.

message 46: by JackieB (last edited Dec 19, 2011 05:05AM) (new)

JackieB | 251 comments I think I am going to have to make the book I'm currently reading my book for this month. It's The Strange Affair of Spring Heeled Jack. Strictly speaking, it's a steampunk book, but that's a type of fantasy, so it will count. It's taking me a while to get through it. At first it was because I kept stopping reading to think about the ingenious ideas Mrk Hodder (the author) was coming up with, but I've got to the middle of the book and I'm just beginning to think that it's maybe taking a bit too long for the characters in the book to work out something that's obvious to the reader. To be fair, there are reasons why it's obvious to the reader and not to the characters, but even so, if this carries on for too long it's going to become irritating. Mark Hodder is in danger of being downgraded to 4 stars if the story doesn't move on soon.

message 47: by Chris (new)

Chris (calmgrove) Angela wrote: "How's everyone getting on with their fantasy read this month? I'm really enjoying The Children of Green Knowe - a well written children's book, which is a mixture of fantasy, ghost an..."

I've gone for Five Children and It as part of my general aim to read all of E. Nesbit's children's fiction (not all of it fantasy, but certainly this one is).

There's a bit of a sameness about all of the ones I've read so far (Victorian/Edwardian middleclass children, with the best of intentions, get into all kinds of scrapes) but there also aspects of Nesbit's view of children (no pointed moralalising, a subliminal use of folktale and fairytale motifs, a sense of camaraderie, an ability to see things from a child's perspective) which I find endearing and in some ways very modern.