Movies We've Just Watched discussion

Horror > it's halloween!

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Phillip (last edited Oct 27, 2011 12:35PM) (new)

Phillip | 10698 comments any plans to go out to see a film this weekend to celebrate halloween?

or plans to watch something in the comfort of your own haunted house?

i've got a few things queued up ... mostly off-kilter b movies from the 50's:

carnival of souls
beast with a million eyes
the angry red planet
the bat

for starters ...

post your halloween tricks or treats here!

message 2: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10698 comments and here is a song treat by my favorite ghoul girls:

http://youtu.be/InpCzx5OQRU

message 3: by Baxter (new)

Baxter (julietrocksmysocks) | 589 comments Well I'm DEFINITELY going to watch Hausu, because I'm dang obsessed with that movie and it fits Halloween perfectly. But I also just found that my dad has a 'Roger Corman Drive-In Collection' that I'm thinking about checking out, in particular, Francis Ford Coppola's Dementia 13.
Outside of that...we'll see what I'm feeling that night.

message 4: by Phillip (last edited Oct 27, 2011 01:44PM) (new)

Phillip | 10698 comments Baxter wrote: "Well I'm DEFINITELY going to watch Hausu, because I'm dang obsessed with that movie and it fits Halloween perfectly. But I also just found that my dad has a 'Roger Corman Drive-In Collection' that ..."

the things our fathers hide from us!!

have fun ... i like dementia 13

message 5: by Tom (new)

Tom | 5413 comments I'll probably put on BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, my default Halloween classic. Although that Blu-Ray of SILENCE OF THE LAMBS is also a contender...

message 6: by Bill (new)

Bill (kernos) | 141 comments We just started watching witchy/occulty/halloweeny movies we've not seen for some time. So far:

Witches of Eastwick— Love it and has a great cast
Stir of Echos— I liked it better the 1st time

We'll end the series on Halloween with Hocus Pocus and The Witches, as usual. The spouse wanted to watch The Wickerman, until I pointed out it's a Beltane rather than a Samhain movie.

message 7: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10698 comments Tom wrote: "I'll probably put on BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN, my default Halloween classic. Although that Blu-Ray of SILENCE OF THE LAMBS is also a contender..."

haven't seen the blu-ray edition, but i just watched it the other night and i have to say it remains a solid suspense film with horrific overtones.

BRIDE is going on my weekend list.

message 8: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 46 comments I believe my sister and I are having some friends over to spend the night, so I was kind of hoping we could watch Nosferatu. I’ve never seen it, but Hallowe’en seems like a good time to do so. However, my friends can’t stand watching anything silent or black and white, and I fear my sister will make us all watch one of the Twilight films or something instead. It's still vampires, I guess, but not quite the sort of thing I'm after. >.<

message 9: by Phillip (last edited Oct 28, 2011 09:47AM) (new)

Phillip | 10698 comments are you talking about the original film by murnau, or the remake by herzog? both are amazing, i think - good choice!

if your friends won't stand for b/w or silent - i say go with the herzog - it's chilling and just an excellent film overall ...

message 10: by Steve (last edited Oct 28, 2011 10:33AM) (new)

Steve | 957 comments Hmm, maybe SUSPIRIA or BASKETCASE. I also have that German Horror box set from Kino. BRIDE OF F'STEIN is always a great one.

I've noticed Netflix has a lot of random old horror films available on its streaming feature; maybe I'll check out something there.

message 11: by Tesni (new)

Tesni (ohmarcello) | 46 comments Phillip wrote: "are you talking about the original film by murnau, or the remake by herzog? both are amazing, i think - good choice!

if your friends won't stand for b/w or silent - i say go with the herzog - it's..."

I was planning on watching the original, but maybe I should have a look in the library for the remake if it's just as good.

message 12: by Phillip (last edited Oct 28, 2011 06:07PM) (new)

Phillip | 10698 comments it's outstanding - normally i'm not so enthusiastic about remakes, but in certain cases, and this is one, i'm utterly enthusiastic. c'mon, it's werner herzog doing dracula with klaus kinski as the count and bruno ganz as jonathan and isabel adjani as mina ... it doesn't get much better. if you rent it, it usually has both the english version on one side and the german version on the other - i prefer the german, but if your friends are subtitle phobic you can please them and still watch a great film.

i'm adding it my list.

message 13: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10698 comments started to watch BEAST WITH 1,000,000 EYES last night and couldn't get past the first 15 minutes ... stinky!

revised list:

carnival of souls
the angry red planet
the bat
nosferatu
frankenstein
bride of frankenstein
(excellent double feature!)
the thing (carpenter) ... or maybe i might sneak out and see the new one.

message 14: by Steve (last edited Oct 29, 2011 05:24AM) (new)

Steve | 957 comments Got about halfway through CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON last night before falling asleep. Good fun camp.

message 15: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) I haven't seen the nightmare before Christmas in a while.

I set the dvr for the bride of Frankenstein.

Hocus pocus comes to mind and maybe a Fellini or a Bakshi film. Needful things is another one I wanna watch. Doubtful I can watch them all.

message 16: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10698 comments watched CARNIVAL OF SOULS last night after a romp around town checking out halloween costumes and occupy oakland.

i've seen it numerous times, but it still pleases me to no end - love the organ music - sounds like vintage olivier messaien at times. this film predates all the SIXTH SENSE films (the dead wander the netherworld) by a few decades.

message 17: by Jim (new)

Jim (jim_) Phillip, I take it you saw the original Carnival Of Souls? The Wes Craven version was okay, too.

message 18: by Sooz (new)

Sooz i am also a fan of Carnival of Souls. i don't know who Olivier Messaien is, but i love the organ music as well. it makes the movie. doubt i will be watching it this halloween however.

i did catch Them! on t.v. over the weekend. it's been years since i've seen it. what a great nuclear mutant 50's creature feature. just great.

also watched Drag Me to Hell which i mentioned on the general movies we've watched thread.

i've no particular movie plans for this evening - so i will end up watching whatever AMC or Turner Classics has on.

message 19: by Sooz (new)

Sooz oh and also a huge fan of Nosferatu. especially Herzog's version.

message 20: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10698 comments Jim wrote: "Phillip, I take it you saw the original Carnival Of Souls? The Wes Craven version was okay, too."

i didn't know there was a wes craven version - not terribly interested in it.

message 21: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10698 comments Sooz wrote: "i am also a fan of Carnival of Souls. i don't know who Olivier Messaien is, but i love the organ music as well. it makes the movie. doubt i will be watching it this halloween however...."

olivier messiaen is one of the great 20th century french composers - among his many accomplishments, he spent many years transcribing bird songs, which he implemented into his many compositions. his wife, yvonne lorriaud, was a virtuoso pianist/organist - and premiered many of his works for organ. he is also known for his masterpiece, "quartet for the end of time", which was composed and premiered in a german prisoner of war camp.

message 22: by Phillip (last edited Nov 01, 2011 09:02AM) (new)

Phillip | 10698 comments i spent halloween performing a live musical accompaniment to the 1968 classic BARBARELLA - with an electro-acoustic group that i enjoy working with - we tried something different - in a few scenes where the dialogue was important to drive the plot along, we just came down in volume and hoisted the dialogue/soundtrack. it was a lot of fun - that movie is really something in terms of set and costume design and sheer spectacle.

message 23: by Sooz (new)

Sooz Phillip wrote: "Sooz wrote: "i am also a fan of Carnival of Souls. i don't know who Olivier Messaien is, but i love the organ music as well. it makes the movie. doubt i will be watching it this halloween howeve..."

thanks for the info - i just found Quartet for the End of Time on Grooveshark and am listening to it now!

message 24: by Judy (new)

Judy (judy5cents) | 28 comments Saturday night, instead of driving downtown to see Kubrick's "The Shining" on a big screen, my family and I opted to download streaming video from Amazon. Not as scary as I remembered it, but the camerawork on Danny's ride through the hotel is still amazing. Then we watched John Carpenter's "The Fog," which was not scary at all. Just so 1980s.

Last night we watched H20, Halloween 20 Years Later (or whatever it was called) with Jamie Lee Curtis and Janet Leigh. Kind of depressing how all the likeable characters are slashed to pieces. Poor Joseph Gordon-Levitt got himself brutally murdered before the opening credits. I did enjoy the allusions to Psycho, especially the car that Janet Leigh's character drives.

message 25: by Phillip (new)

Phillip | 10698 comments Sooz wrote: "thanks for the info - i just found Quartet for the End of Time on Grooveshark and am listening to it now! ..."

amazing piece of music, eh? i've been working on those clarinet parts for years. there are some deeply moving and deeply beautiful passages in that work.