http://www.EDUG573Fall2011 discussion

Amy N > Poetry books (choose 2)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 43 comments Mod

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy Nichols | 25 comments Poetry is one of my FAVORITE genres to read, but especially to write. It is exciting to see kids get carried away with their thoughts, feelings, and emotions. When they don't realize they're writing poetry, it makes it even better. One of the books I chose, written like a story instead of a poem is DOGKU by Andrew Clements. This book is nothing but adorable =) The pup is a stray and looking for a home. He is taken in by a family who end up keeping him. Trials & tribulations of a dog's life are included... Written as a story, in the form of all haiku poetry. Love It!!!

I would recommend this book when introducing poetry. When you can get kids to relate to a topic, and have them shape it into poetry, they are more inclined to write. I have a soft spot in my heart for haiku- so, I love love love it... reading for all ages young and old.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy Nichols | 25 comments More Parts by Tedd Arnold. Just looking at the cover of this book makes me laugh. The boy on the cover is screaming mouth wide open, eyes bulging, and hands up to his face in astonishing fear... The book is poetic in nautre with a focus on idiom. The boy fears losing body "parts" based on certain idioms like "give me a hand", "you crack me up", and "losing your mind". He takes the literal meaning of the idiom- no wonder he is so frantic looking on the cover.

I would recommend this to kids who "hate poetry" "can't do poetry" "don't like poetry"... all excuses they like to make. Students of all ages will think this book is funny. It would be a nice introduction to figurative language, or poetry. It would make for a fun read aloud for sure. Kids could make additional sense of other familiar idioms as an ongoing activity. Must Read!