http://www.EDUG573Fall2011 discussion

Amy N > Picture books (choose 2)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 43 comments Mod

message 2: by Amy (new)

Amy Nichols | 25 comments A great book to start off the year, and kids love it is Scaredy Squirrel by Melanie Watt. SS is scared to leave his tree where his comfort zone is. He discusses the fears and dangers that are outside of that zone. But then he ventures out one day, and surprises himself. A funny book, teaching that it is ok to face your fears.

We did this book as a read aloud when introducing the RESPECT code (our school wide code of behavior) when talking about safety and encouragement. I woudl recommend it to all ages because it is entertaining enough to keep intermediate kiddos interested, and easy enough for younger kids to enjoy.

message 3: by Amy (new)

Amy Nichols | 25 comments A great book that I had once heard only being referred to by teachers in my building now holds a big spot in my heart. Wilfred Gordon McDonald Partridge by Mem Fox is a great read. This is a story of a young boy who helps an elderly woman remember her forgotten memories. The memories are warm, from long ago, makes you cry, makes you laugh, and as precious as gold. The way the memories unfold is priceless.

I recommend this book for the beginning of the school year. It can be used for any age level. I read the story to the class. Students then gather up their memories (as follows in the book) and share with the class. It really makes kids think about their lives and gives them something interesting to share at the beginning of the school year. Precious to me =)