http://www.EDUG573Fall2011 discussion

Kassidy > Traditional literature (choose 2)

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 43 comments Mod

message 2: by Kassidy (new)

Kassidy | 24 comments The gingerbread man is my sons current favorite story. It is the story of an elderly couple that has no children and decides to bake a gingerbread cookie boy. The boy excapes from the oven and runs away from several pursuers including a butcher, a cow, a pig, and a fox. As he runs away the gingerbread man repeats the same tauning rhyme to each of his pursuers. He is eventually caught by the fox, as the fox pretends to be unable to hear him. The gingerbread man gets closer and closer to the fox until the foxz gobbles him up.

I love reading this book with my 2 year old son. he loves the repetion and sequencing throughout the story, and is able to help me read it aloud. This also would be good for teaching cause and effect. This is a classic that will be used for years to come.

message 3: by Kassidy (new)

Kassidy | 24 comments Goldilocks and the three bears is another recent favorite in our house. Goldilocks comes upon a small house in the forrest that is unoccupied becuase the Bears have left on a walk. She helps herself to their breakfast until she finds one that is just right. She then sits in their chairs until she finds one that is just right, she lays in their beds until finding one just right and falls asleep. The bears return to find their breakfast gone, their chairs in shambles, and a stranger asleep in their beds.

This is a great readaloud but also a great book to co read. The repetition helps even the youngest reader participate and become engaged while teaching sequencing, and sizing. The little ones love hearing the different voices and perspectives throughout the book.