TV We've Just Watched discussion

General > DIRECTV

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holli (new)

Holli Is anyone affected by this like I am??

We're Negotiating to Keep Your Local ABC Broadcast Station on DIRECTV

This affects:

Austin, TX; Boise, ID; Biloxi-Gulfport, MS; Charlotte, NC; Dallas-Fort Worth, TX; Houston, TX; Louisville, KY; New Orleans, LA; Norfolk-Newport News, VA; Phoenix, AZ: Portland, OR; San Antonio, TX; Seattle-Tacoma, WA; Spokane, WA; Saint Lois, MO; Tucson, AZ

DIRECTV is working with Belo Television, the owner of one of the local broadcast stations serving your community, to continue providing its local news and network programs beyond Nov. 1 when our current agreement expires. We value the Belo stations and are negotiating diligently to reach an equitable agreement with them.

Belo has decided to notify its viewers of our discussions, which is something they did during similar talks with Time Warner Cable and DISH Network last year. None of those customers ever lost access to Belo stations and we expect the same positive result here. Their TV commercials are nothing more than a routine approach to try and gain leverage in negotiations. DIRECTV customers should ignore Belo’s scare tactics and enjoy their DIRECTV service as they always have.There is nothing more you need to do at this time. We know you have a choice among providers, and appreciate your choosing us.

message 2: by Holli (last edited Oct 27, 2011 08:54AM) (new)

Holli I'm also being affected by this:

From DIRECTV: We have been in discussions to renew our agreement with News Corporation (News Corp) and Fox for its Fox Sports channels, FX channel and some other national channels. The agreement, which expired at midnight on Sept. 30, does not involve either your local Fox station or Fox News, so those services are not affected.

We have a fundamental disagreement with News Corp over its demand that our customers pay 40 % more for the same Fox channels they already receive. That’s simply unfair. Since they will not budge, we are forced to take extreme measures. We have told News Corp that unless they come back with a reasonable price that will protect our customers from excessive increases, we will suspend several of their channels on November 1.

When it comes to providing the best experience at the most reasonable value, everyone is accountable, and so we want to prevent News Corp/Fox from treating you any differently. We recognize that this situation will cause short-term inconvenience, and we respectfully ask for your patience. We believe these actions will help keep your monthly bills under more control over the long term.

message 3: by Holli (new)

Holli The creator of Sons of Anarchy aired a spot talking about this during SoA on Tues and had this to say on his blog about losing the FX channel:

http://sutterink.blogspot.com/2011/10...

and last night during American Horror Story the creators of it came on telling us to contact DIRECTV and let them know we don't want the plug pulled on our FX channel Nov 1st.

message 4: by Holli (new)

Holli FOX has this to say on their website www.keepmynets.com

DirecTV says Fox Networks wants a 40% increase. That’s just not true.
We’ve asked them to pay the same price for your favorite networks, shows and sports programming that their competitors pay. AND, we are willing to keep our channels on while we continue our talks, instead, DirecTV has decided to drop your favorite shows and sporting events November 1.
Networks include: FX, FOX Regional Sports Networks, SPEED, National Geographic Channel, FOX Soccer, FOX Soccer Plus, FOX Deportes, FUEL TV and FOX Movie Channel.

message 5: by Brandie (new)

Brandie (brandiemichelle) Well that sucks! I don't watch anything on FX and Ohio isn't on the list for the first post - but still - I hate to see others lose channels they watch. I'd be forced to get cable (which I hate).

message 6: by Holli (new)

Holli Oh I'm so mad...... Brad won't get rid of DIRECTV because of his NFL ticket with them so we're going to have to ride the suspension out I guess. I know I can catch ABC's shows online but I don't think FX airs their shows online.

message 7: by Brandie (new)

Brandie (brandiemichelle) I can't believe it...it's so dumb and ridiculous that DIRECTV is doing this!

message 8: by Holli (new)

Holli It's both Directv and FOX and the BELO Broadcasting people... it's all their faults! lol

message 9: by Holli (new)

Holli Directv settled their dispute with FOX so I get to keep FX channel thank GOD!! lol As of right now my ABC network is still on but they are saying it still may be in jeopardy.

message 10: by Brandie (new)

Brandie (brandiemichelle) I saw that on Twitter and was relieved for you :D