Wild Things: YA Grown-Up discussion

36 views
Monthly Challenges > November 2011

Comments Showing 1-29 of 29 (29 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
November 2011- Young Readers' week. Read a book classified as "Juvenile" or "Middle Grade".

These books are geared for ages 7-12. They typically have short chapters and may have pictures. They are meant to be read by the child not to the child.

There's definitely some gray area here as to what is J/MG and what is YA, we'll try to be lenient.


Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Jennifer W wrote: "November 2011- Young Readers' week. Read a book classified as "Juvenile" or "Middle Grade".

These books are geared for ages 7-12. They typically have short chapters and may have pictures. They ..."


Thanks for the clarification, that helps a lot!


message 3: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) I am excited about this one :)


message 4: by Cristen (new)

Cristen | 135 comments Read Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson, 316 Pages
Done 11/4/2011

Points - 2
Total Points - 22


message 5: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Cristen wrote: "Read Chains by Laurie Halse Anderson, 316 Pages
Done 11/4/2011

Points - 2
Total Points - 22"


LOVE this book! Are you going to read Forge?


message 6: by Cristen (new)

Cristen | 135 comments I am absolutely going to read Forge, I loved Chains...it was such a beautiful book


message 7: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Cristen wrote: "I am absolutely going to read Forge, I loved Chains...it was such a beautiful book"

And Forge is just as good! :)


Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) I read Darkness Creeping: Twenty Twisted Tales by Neal Shusterman which read "MG" to me. I didn't see it classified as such here, but on Amazon it lists the age as 8+.


message 9: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Angela wrote: "I read Darkness Creeping: Twenty Twisted Tales by Neal Shusterman which read "MG" to me. I didn't see it classified as such here, but on Amazon it lists the age as 8+."

How was it? I love Neal Shusterman!!!


message 10: by Angela Sunshine (last edited Nov 10, 2011 08:59PM) (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Kellee wrote: "Angela wrote: "I read Darkness Creeping: Twenty Twisted Tales by Neal Shusterman which read "MG" to me. I didn't see it classified as such here, but on Amazon it lists..."

I liked a few of them, but I'm a hard sell on short stories! I liked that he wrote a little intro before each story about how it came to be.


message 11: by Angela Sunshine (new)

Angela Sunshine (angelasunshine) Wow, 2 challenge books this time! I never get to claim more than one! A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness.


message 12: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Angela wrote: "Wow, 2 challenge books this time! I never get to claim more than one! A Monster Calls by Patrick Ness."

Yay!! Congrats :)


message 13: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Completed Tasks: November

Down the Mysterly River by Bill Willingham 11/6/11

Points Earned this month: 2
Total Points: 104



message 15: by Cristen (last edited Nov 13, 2011 11:04AM) (new)

Cristen | 135 comments The Visconti House by Elsbeth Edgar DONE 11/7


The Wizard of Dark Street by Shawn Thomas Odyssey DONE 11/13

Points - 2
Total Points - 25


message 16: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Completed Tasks: November


Diary of a Wimpy Kid: Cabin Fever by Jeff Kinney 11/23/11

Points Earned this month: 3
Total Points: 107



message 17: by Ann (new)

Ann | 88 comments Adding more! I like this challenge

The Lemonade Crime by Jacqueline Davies 11/27/11

Juniper Berry by M.P. Kozlowsky 11/18/11

Bigger than a Bread Box by Laurel Snyder 11/19/11


message 18: by Brandi (last edited Nov 29, 2011 01:12PM) (new)

Brandi (librandian) | 206 comments A Long Walk to Water: Based on a True Story by Linda Sue Park done 11/29/11

Points: 2
Total Points: 9


message 19: by Cristen (new)


message 20: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Brandi and Cristen- I have heard WONDERFUL thing about both of those books. Were they as good as I've heard?


message 21: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Ann- I'm glad you are liking the challenge :) I am too!

Brandi- Welcome back!


message 22: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Completed Tasks: November


Woods Runner by Gary Paulsen 11/12/11

Points Earned this month: 4
Total Points: 108



message 23: by Cristen (new)

Cristen | 135 comments I wanted to like The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making, but I found myself not enjoying it as much as I thought I would. There were certain aspects of the writing that I felt took away from the story, but I know that a lot of others really liked it.


message 24: by Brandi (new)

Brandi (librandian) | 206 comments Kellee wrote: "Brandi and Cristen- I have heard WONDERFUL thing about both of those books. Were they as good as I've heard?"

I wasn't as impressed as the reviews dictated I should be. It was a touching story, but there wasn't anything overly amazing about it. The ending was good, though. It tied up the loose ends.


message 25: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Hm. Now I am even more intrigued :)


message 26: by Cathy (new)

Cathy | 136 comments I read

The Dreamer by Pam Muñoz Ryan The Dreamer

Points: 2
Total Points: 89


message 27: by Kellee (new)

Kellee Moye (kelleemoye) Cathy wrote: "I read

The Dreamer by Pam Muñoz RyanThe Dreamer

Points: 2
Total Points: 89"


LOVE that book!


message 29: by Jennifer W, WT Moderator (new)

Jennifer W | 1289 comments Mod
Yesterday I finished a reread of Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH.

1 point

Total: 37 points


back to top