What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Query abandoned by poster > ABANDONED. quasi-gothic romance set on West Indies island -- some voodoo

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) OK, I think this book is at least 50 years old. I read it in the nineties but it was an old battered paperback. A girl ends up on some West Indies island during the days when colonialism is rampant. Somehow she comes to the attention of the dashing, overly-gifted with testosterone, governor or some such. Naturally, they must marry immediately, even though she hates him.

Not very helpful so far.

The main distinguishing things I remember is that there is a voodoo doll and a sex scene after which she has to meet with some sorts of officials with hickies on her neck or something. (view spoiler)

Sorry, I'm new but I'm using this for all its worth. Mostly because if I don't write down what I do remember about these books it will slip away.

message 2: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 138 comments On an off chance, is it maybe something by Victoria Holt?

message 3: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Just saw this. It seems like a distinct possibility. Still looking through the descriptions though. I'll let you know. :)

message 4: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Hmm, doesn't look like it is. It wasn't quite as gothic as this, less mystery. The man is the governor of the island and there may be a native uprising? Some sort of crisis. I don't think it was a Harlequin, but it may be, in which case I can just assume I'll never figure it out. :)

message 5: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 138 comments Ok, I've asked the people in the romance group I'm in, if anyone comes up with an idea, I'll post it here :)

message 6: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Thank you!

message 7: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) | 138 comments I can't find much information on it anywhere other than that it has voodoo and takes place in the old days but maybe Asya by Allison Baker ?

message 8: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Hmm, I don't think so, but maybe?

message 9: by Grace (new)

Grace | 20 comments I haven't read this in a long time, but is there a slight chance it's The Magnificent Marriage by Barbara Cartland? The island is Singapore. Girl named Dorinda.

message 10: by Denae (new)

Denae (whimsicalmeerkat) Unfortunately not :/

message 11: by HeavyReader (new)

HeavyReader | 450 comments Sorry that Asya is not the book you are looking for, but now I sure do want to read it!

cheers!

message 12: by Mir (new)

Mir | 703 comments Maybe something by MM Kaye?

message 13: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37852 comments Mod
Denae, are you still looking for this book?

message 14: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37852 comments Mod
Denae has left the group. Moving to Abandoned.

The rockabilly werewolf from Mars | 1479 comments Abandoned, but Island of Fear looks like a possibility in the slight chance that the original poster returns.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Asya (other topics)
Island of Fear (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Victoria Holt (other topics)