Fans of Southern Literature discussion

19th century's South?

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Spektra (new)

Spektra | 1 comments I've been wondering were there any other (famous) authors beside Faulkner who wrote about 19th century's Southern atmosphere (let's call it that way)?
(I know very little about Southern literature and probably American literature in general, so I'm asking you to enlighten me a little bit.)

message 2: by Nick (last edited Nov 03, 2011 01:45PM) (new)

Nick (doily) | 25 comments What makes Faulkner so memorable in comparison to other depictors of the 19th/early 20th century South is his language. His words are the long, drawn-out drawl of the southern storyteller, the meanings enmeshed in convoluted phrase-on-phrase sentences that create a unique atmosphere all their own.

Other writers of "Moonlight and Magnolia" stories that attempt to give a "flavor" to the 19th century South do not create this type of atmosphere. It's what makes Faulkner unique.

However, there are a couple of examples of truly wonderful novels that don't sentimentalize the Old South. Robert Penn Warren's
Band of Angels comes to mind. Also, I've not yet read it, but I've heard good things about So Red the Rose by Stark Young. The Vanderbilt poets, critics such as Donald Davidson and Allen Tate, liked it as a sympathetic, but unsentimental view of the Old South