Books Stephen King Recommends discussion

Jack Ketchum
This topic is about Jack Ketchum

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Almeta, co-moderator (last edited Oct 27, 2011 12:31AM) (new)

Almeta (menfrommarrs) | 1094 comments Mod
Stephen King recommended author. He says: "Who's the scariest guy in America? Probably Jack Ketchum."
Jack Ketchum

"He is, quite simply, one of the best in the business, on par with Clive Barker, James Ellroy, and Thomas Harris. Ketchum has become a kind of hero to those of us who write tales of horror and suspense. He is, quite simply, one of the best in the business.

message 2: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 23 comments A blog post I wrote about Jack Ketchum, one of my favorite authors and a man I learned of because of Stephen King: http://jonathanjanz.com/2011/10/30/th...

message 3: by Duane (new)

Duane (duanemincel) | 78 comments You must be reading my mind, Jonathan. I just discovered Ketchum recently, thru King's recommendation. Ketchum is a beast. Off Season absolutely floored me. I finished Hide and Seek last night and loved it. Currently reading Offspring: The Sequel to Off Season.

message 4: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 23 comments I'm glad you loved Off Season, Duane. It's one of my favorite visceral horror novels. I've not read Hide and Seek, though I plan to soon. If I were you I'd seek out Red and The Girl Next Door. Both are classics, though they're extremely different books.

message 5: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 23 comments And I actually am a mindreader. Are you thinking of the Eddie Murphy/Steve Martin movie Bowfinger? :-)

message 6: by Duane (last edited Jul 25, 2013 07:34PM) (new)

Duane (duanemincel) | 78 comments Don't worry about me catchin' up on Ketchum. It took a little eBay magic, but I acquired everything offered within a reasonable price-range. Well... I spent some money that would make a non-reader bat an eye, but sometimes these things cannot be avoided. That being said, I can't remember this level of anticipation for a newly discovered author since that fateful day when I stumbled upon King via a library copy of Cujo. And your mindreading unfortunately did not include Bowfinger. But two for three isn't to shabby.

message 7: by Debra (new)

Debra (debra_t) | 2574 comments Mod
Ketchum is an amazing writer, and he never holds back. I've read (and own) quite a few of his books. I started buying them when I first heard of him, I guess about 10 years or so ago. Brutal stuff!

message 8: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) My first try at him was recently in Triage by Jack Ketchum . His story was alright, though not one that I think will really stick with me. I think because of SK's rec, I'll probably try him again though :)

message 9: by Debra (new)

Ketchum is NOT for the faint of heart. Most his stories are visceral and twisted.

message 10: by Kit★ (new)

Kit★ (xkittyxlzt) Sounds good! Lol ;)

message 11: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 23 comments Duane wrote: "Don't worry about me catchin' up on Ketchum. It took a little eBay magic, but I acquired everything offered within a reasonable price-range. Well... I spent some money that would make a non-reader..."

I'll take two out of three, Duane. And I'm so glad to hear you've got more Ketchum in the pipeline. Like you, I love the guy's stuff. I haven't read Hide and Seek or Cover, so I'll be onto one of those two next. :-)

message 12: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 23 comments Debra wrote: "Ketchum is an amazing writer, and he never holds back. I've read (and own) quite a few of his books. I started buying them when I first heard of him, I guess about 10 years or so ago. Brutal stuff!"

Awesome, Debra! I agree with you about his brutality. The one I find to be sort of an exception is Red. Have you checked that one out? Which one is your favorite?

message 13: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan Janz (jonathanjanz) | 23 comments Kit★ wrote: "My first try at him was recently in Triage by Jack Ketchum. His story was alright, though not one that I think will really stick with me. I think because of SK's rec, I'll probably try him agai..."

Kit, I wonder what you'd make of Red. I recommend it to all my friends, even the non-horror readers, and they all love it. If you don't mind gore, I bet you'd love Off Season too.

message 14: by Debra (new)

Red is very good. A great revenge novel. I don't know if I have a favorite, but The Girl Next Door really got to me, big time. Especially since it is based on a true story!