Endicott Mythic Fiction discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
War for the Oaks > War for the Oaks - Who's In?

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Odette (new)

Odette | 316 comments Mod
Thanks to Kay for choosing our next Endicott selection: War for the Oaks by Emma Bull.
The read-by date is November 30, 2008.

message 2: by Pamela (last edited Oct 25, 2008 11:48AM) (new)

Pamela Lloyd (pameladlloyd) | 45 comments I'm in. I've already read this book more than once, and I'm happy to have a chance to read it again, as it's one of my favorites.

Emma Bull and her husband, Will Shetterly, moved to Tucson a couple of years ago and they're confirmed participants in TusCon, November 7-9 (the weekend after the election). They're both very nice people, so if you're anywhere nearby and you want a chance to meet her and get your book signed, now's your chance.

If you don't already have a copy, there's a new trade paperback version available at Macmillan for $14.95, or for $10.17 through Amazon.

P.S. Almost useless trivia: an electronic version of War for the Oaks was one of Tor.com's September freebies, along with Shetterly's excellent novel Dogland. (What makes this slightly useful, is the fact that Tor.com is offering two free electronic books in multiple formats each month, as a way of showcasing their authors.)

message 3: by S. Kay (new)

S. Kay (cobwebs) | 56 comments I'm in, of course!

Glad everyone's onboard. It's been on my to-read list for quite a while... ever since I read her book Finder, which was based in Terri Windling's Borderland series. Shetterly also wrote two books based in Borderland, NeverNever, and Elsewhere. They were favorites of mine when I was younger and I'd recommend them to urban fantasy lovers.

I wish I lived near Tucson, because that would be quite a lot of fun...

More fun Emma Bull information: Shetterly and her actually made a "no-budget" film for War for the Oaks... you can find bits and pieces on YouTube.com, but not much. She sings a few of her songs from her bands... I really enjoy what music I've been able to find by her. Cats Laughing is one band, Flash Girls is the other.

message 4: by Vivian "Rain" (new)

Vivian "Rain" I'm looking forward to it : )

message 5: by Pamela (new)

Pamela Lloyd (pameladlloyd) | 45 comments Kay, that's really cool. I knew that she and her husband had written a script based on the book, because it's been published in book form and I've got a copy, but I didn't know they'd filmed any of it. Thanks for sharing that! :)

message 6: by Aerulan (new)

Aerulan | 1 comments Just recently joined but War for the Oaks has been a favorite for years. So I'm in!

message 7: by Claire (new)

Claire | 24 comments I'm in! I've never read it, and am looking forward to diving in.

message 8: by Ramona (new)

Ramona Gault | 84 comments I read her "Territory" this year and found it oddly intriguing. Ms. Bull takes a quirky approach to a well-worn (almost worn-out?) Western theme--the showdown at the OK Corral--and opens another way of seeing the by-now stereotyped characters of this frontier drama. She doesn't reinvent them exactly, but she does twist them. I'm in for War for the Oaks.

message 9: by Kim (new)

Kim | 43 comments I'm there. Just ordered it today.

message 10: by Kim (new)

Kim | 3 comments Hi everyone! I'm coming out of lurkdom (lurkerdom?) to join in the fun with this book! I've read it a bunch of times, and it's a favorite; and it even takes place in my neighborhood (the main character lives on my street!).

message 11: by Claire (new)

Claire | 24 comments Oooh - I'm really liking this so far. Good storytelling!

message 12: by Claire (new)

Claire | 24 comments Just finished and I loved it! My favorite choice so far. I've adored the "For It All" poem since I read it in one of De Lint's books. It was nice to see it again in this one.

message 13: by S. Kay (new)

S. Kay (cobwebs) | 56 comments Glad you liked it, Claire... I made another folder if you have anything else you want to discuss there without worrying as much about spoilers.

I'm not finished quite yet, but have a feeling I will be soon.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.