Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Group Discussions > Authors and You

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments Do authors' behaviors affect whether you buy their books or not?

message 2: by Kate (new)

Kate (ficthoughts) | 19 comments Sometimes.

There was an author who I saw speak at some function a few years ago. And I was disgusted by him. I found him to be very rude and condescending. I haven't read a book by him since.

message 3: by Aneeqah (new)

Aneeqah | 322 comments Yes!

I met an author at a book festival, and I loved her. She was sweet, hilarious, and very kind! I went and bought her book because I liked her so much.

message 4: by Barbara ★ (new)

Barbara ★ Yes! I heard comments from one author disparaging another (one of my favorites) and refuse to read her books on principle. Though in all honestly I did try to read one of her books before this incident (years and years ago) and hated it so much that I gave up about 100 pages in and haven't touched her writing since.

message 5: by Jex (new)

Jex (jexball) | 2227 comments I've yet to run in to anyone on the rude side, but I do find myself more likely to continue to follow an author if I've had a good interaction with them.

message 6: by Shay (new)

Shay | 923 comments I belong to a few GR group and this author, who is a real d-bag, is always complaining. He even complains about how libraries loaning books "rip off" authors. Even if he won a Pulitzer Prize (I am now laughing so hard at this my sides hurt), I wouldn't read his books. I wouldn't read them now even if they were free. He's so odious that you just want to go and 1 star all of his books.

message 7: by Afsana (last edited Jan 07, 2012 02:07AM) (new)

Afsana (afsanaz) | 219 comments Shay wrote: "I belong to a few GR group and this author, who is a real d-bag, is always complaining. He even complains about how libraries loaning books "rip off" authors. Even if he won a Pulitzer Prize (I am ..."

lol.. then he just needs to not agree to having them in the library and then we will see how well he does

message 8: by Krystal (new)

Krystal (crazylittlebookpage) Most Certainly, if I have seen some where that an author has been quite awful or said something negative I won't read books by them.

message 9: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I'm there with you, Kyle. I think we may put authors on pedestals sometimes without realizing it. Yes, they do a wonderful job of writing amazing stories but at the end of the day they are just people. And people eff up.

A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol) (avidreader68) | 724 comments Since I don't really pay attention to what goes on in an author's life I had to think about this. Would I read a book by someone who has effed up? Most likely if it looks interesting. Would a read a book by someone who is a racist/bigot? Not likely. What if they wrote a book that looked interesting? Then I might get it from the library, but I wouldn't buy a book to support someone like that. Not when there are millions of books out there I have yet to read.

Of course, since I don't usually actively seek information about an author, I could have already purchased a book by such a person and not even known it. *shrugs* I think an author who has a hideous personality would have that nastiness bleed into the book(s) they write, but that's only my opinion.

Again, infinite amount of books out there to read, finite life span to read them in. That bums me out.

message 11: by Aneeqah (last edited Jan 26, 2012 07:03PM) (new)

Aneeqah | 322 comments Sashana wrote: "I'm there with you, Kyle. I think we may put authors on pedestals sometimes without realizing it. Yes, they do a wonderful job of writing amazing stories but at the end of the day they are just peo..."

But doesn't that part of the job of being an author? When you become an author, people will put you on a pedestal. Isn't it your responsibility to act professional? I'm only saying this because over the past few weeks, there's been alot of author/blogger drama going on. Obviously, this is all just my opinion, but I thought I would put it out there. =)

message 12: by Sashana (new)

Sashana I think professionalism comes with the territory of almost any career but everyone has their limits. For example, I know a lot of people are boycotting Jamie McGuire because she openly expressed her frustration with negative reviews that were not done constructively. A lot of people were offended but I applaud her for being honest and saying that negative reviews do affect her. Maybe she could have expressed her opinions a little less passionately though lol. But I think it's ridiculous that people would boycott her book because of this. I don't know her character but it seems like she was just a regular person who was fed up and did a little internet ranting. Who hasn't done that?!

Carol, I agree, I wouldn't spend a dime of my money on a racist or bigot sexist. I would be curious about the crap they are spewing so I'd probably check it out from my library or not at all.

message 13: by Aneeqah (new)

Aneeqah | 322 comments I know alot of people have been turned off by the author of The Selection, who made some really mean Tweets with her agent. To me, it really depends on how the author handles everything. If they come out and apologize politely and truly, than I will gain more respect for that author. But I wouldn't boycott Jamie McGuire's books if all she did was express her opinion. But when an author starts talking bad about a reviewer/blogger, that's when I will probably drop/boycott/or whatever their book until they professionally take care of the situation.

message 14: by Sashana (new)

Sashana Now The Selection thing was really rude. She really should have just kept her opinions to herself or email her agent through private message. Mhhh, I see what you mean, Aneeqah.

message 15: by Aneeqah (new)

Aneeqah | 322 comments I agree, it was totally uncalled for! I feel so bad for Wendy Darling, but I'm glad of all the support she's been receiving.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Selection (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jamie McGuire (other topics)