The Mortal Instruments discussion

Lady Midnight (The Dark Artifices, #1)
This topic is about Lady Midnight
The Dark Artifices

Comments Showing 1-30 of 30 (30 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Daylighter (new) - added it

Daylighter (pantea13) "The Dark Artifices: Okay, a quick recap. I have a plan for another Shadowhunter trilogy (contemporary, but not about the characters from TMI). Working title: The Dark Artifices. It takes place five years after the end of TMI (ie in 2012) and deals with the Shadowhunters of the Los Angeles Institute. There is a tangential connection to the characters of TMI but they are not main characters. The main characters are teens (meaning that during the events of TMI they'd be 11, 12 years old.) The main female protagonist's name is Emma, the main male protagonist's name is Julian. They are both Shadowhunters. They both have always known they are Shadowhunters. There is love, magic, romantic confusion, etc. and so on. I have not sold these books; I haven't written any of them, I won't until I'm done with what I'm writing now. So I don't have a pub date beyond "after CoHF."

But thanks for being so interested, everyone!

Cassie"

I really hope she writes it =) what do you guys think?

Shaneka | 59 comments i really hope so too it sounds amazing!

message 3: by Desiree (new)

Desiree (mangalover) can't wait! it would have been better if it was the main characters but ah well we'll see how it turns out! :)

message 4: by Whitney (new)

Whitney I am addicted to the series so I hope she writes more. I think the name "Emma" is a little common and overused. I like Julian though. Hopefully there is some mention of Jace... I love him...

message 5: by Mairead (new) - added it

Mairead | 309 comments There aren't that many Emma's in books nowadays. I've yet to come across one, and I've read a LOT of books :) I like it.

message 6: by Whitney (new)

Whitney Maybe not that much in books, but there are just a lot of Emmas anywhere, period. It's an okay name. I just think it would sound better with a bit more flavour. I don't know... Emaline, Emily, Emilie, Ameilia... Emma is a little plain...

message 7: by Mairead (new) - added it

Mairead | 309 comments I like it. It's pretty. I don't know many Emma's personally.

Shaneka | 59 comments i like emma too and its not at all common to me in real life or books

message 9: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Reid (3karen3) | 13 comments Besides the point of the name, which I don't think it really matters, I hope to see a mentioning of the main characters of TMI, and maybe they play a small part.. I love the whole shadowhunter world in general, so any book written by Cassie is going to be great... :)

message 10: by Dhvani (new)

Dhvani | 3 comments It would be so incredible if Cassie wrote this series. The shadowhunter world is amazing! and i just love the way she incorporates existing locations with the world of the Shadowhunters. A series set in Los Angeles would be so cool. :)

message 11: by Daylighter (new) - added it

Daylighter (pantea13) A summary of what we know so far about TDA:

-Set in 2012 in LA.
-Main characters are Emma Carstairs and Julian (We’ll get to know his last name in CoLS)
-Some characters from TDA will appear in CoLS, we have to watch out for kids who are 11 or 12 years old.
-Emma and Julian are Shadowhunters/parabatai. They have always known they’re Shadowhunters.
-Emma is blonde and Julian has brown hair.
-Other characters: Tiberius, Carmen, Arthur, Helen, Olivia and Mark.
-Helen is an older sibling of one of the main characters, she's also Aline Penhallow's girlfriend
-Mark is Julian's brother.
-Surviving characters from TMI will have cameos.
-There will be love, magic, romantic confusion.
-Emma and Julian might be in love and their forbidden love is possibly a huge part of the whole story.
-Emma likes to fight, train, kill things, and is definitely badass.
-Julian is very different from Will and Jace.

message 12: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Reid (3karen3) | 13 comments even thou we're missing two books, im wondering how a carstairs pops up.... any ideas?..

message 13: by Dru (new)

Dru (steensgirl) | 2 comments i'm guessing Jem had children. so maybe he doesn't die as soon as we thought he did. Or the people of ID pulled a Jace and somebody had like 3 last names and two of them are fakes...maybe Jem's parents are actually alive and the Magister took them and made them into animatrons and Jem is Tessa's half sister. I mean, with Cassie who knows.

message 14: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen Reid (3karen3) | 13 comments hahaa. o man that would be nuts lol... but an interesting yet sick twist... lol

Dayna I really hope she decides to publish this series!! knowing that the mortal instruments and infernal devices will have to end sometime. . .

message 16: by Tess (new)

Tess Herondale  (bookwormy13) | 1 comments please write. i am a fast reader and i read the cob series in a month and the infernal devices i read before them. there is nothing more to read except the end of infernal devices which doesn't come out til novemeber. i love these books and wish they would never end!!!!

message 17: by Cami (new)

Cami (camihawk) | 2 comments I am really excited for this series but I am also really excited to see what she writes outside of the shadowhunter world! So many good reads to look forward to!

message 18: by Daylighter (new) - added it

Daylighter (pantea13) It’s Official: Cassandra Clare has signed on to write ‘The Dark Artifices’ trilogy
Despite The Mortal Instruments and The Infernal Devices set to come to a close in the next couple of years, bestselling author Cassandra Clare won’t be saying goodbye to her Shadowhunter world just yet.

Clare has signed a three-book deal with Simon & Schuster to write The Dark Artifices, a spinoff series set in 2012 Los Angeles.

The first book is slated for a 2015 release.

Clare has been teasing fans with the possibility of the spinoff series, but now there is confirmation, as Margaret K. McElderry Books, an imprint of Simon & Schuster Children’s Publishing, has announced the deal, according to The Washington Post.

“The series follows Emma Carstairs, the fiercest warrior and most skilled young Shadowhunter since Jace Wayland, and Emma’s sworn partner in arms, Julian Blackthorn,” the statement reads. “Despite Emma’s complicated feelings for Julian, the two must band together to investigate a demonic plot that stretches from the warlock-run nightclubs of the Sunset Strip to the enchanted sea that pounds the beaches of Santa Monica.”

Clare said in a statement that she was sure readers would love both her new and her established characters.

“I know readers will come to love Emma, Mark, Cristina and Julian just as they have loved Jace, Clary, Will, Tessa and Jem,” she said. “Readers have often asked what will happen in the Shadowhunter world after the events of the ‘Mortal Instruments’ and this series will give them a chance to find out.”

You can read more about The Dark Artifices here, which includes character names, setting, potential plots, etc.

I know I speak for everyone when I say I cannot wait to meet these new characters and welcome them into the Shadowhunter family!

here's the link:
http://tmisource.com/2012/03/13/its-o...

message 19: by Daylighter (last edited Apr 17, 2012 10:24AM) (new) - added it

Daylighter (pantea13) I created the books on GR for anyone that's interested:

Lady Midnight
Untitled (The Dark Artifices, #2)
Untitled (The Dark Artifices, #3)

message 20: by Daylighter (new) - added it

Daylighter (pantea13) "Los Angeles, 2012. It’s been five years since the events of the Mortal Instruments when Nephilim stood poised on the brink of oblivion and Shadowhunter Emma Carstairs lost her parents. After the blood and violence she witnessed as a child, Emma has dedicated her life to the eradication of demons and being the best, fastest and deadliest Shadowhunter since Jace Lightwood. Raised in the Los Angeles Institute, Emma is paired as a parabatai with her best friend, Julian. As Emma hunts those who caused the death of her parents, the trail they’re following leads back to those they’ve always been taught to trust. At the same time, Emma is falling in love with Julian — her closest friend and, because he is her parabatai, the one person in the world she’s absolutely forbidden by Shadowhunter Law to love. Set against the glittering backdrop of present-day Los Angeles, Emma must learn to trust her head and her heart as she investigates a demonic plot that stretches from the warlock-run nightclubs of the Sunset Strip to the enchanted sea that pounds the beaches of Santa Monica."

Katie Beth (inthegardenatsunrise) | 50 comments Dj wrote: "i'm guessing Jem had children. so maybe he doesn't die as soon as we thought he did. Or the people of ID pulled a Jace and somebody had like 3 last names and two of them are fakes...maybe Jem's par..."

Or, including several hints, Jem and Tessa get married (there was a marry my today unidentified snippet), Tessa gets pregnant, but since we pretty much know either Jem or Will are going to die, and Jem is at this point of his sickness the more likely of the two, Tessa has Jem's child under that last name of Carstairs from being married even though Jem is dead, and the child is perfectly fine. Of course there is the obstacle of Tessa being a warlock and not being able to have children. But that whole matter, and her being a very unusual kind of warlock from her parental possibilities could lead to the matter of being able to have children.

And yes, I realize that first sentence was very run on, with creative use of commas and "and"s.

A lot of ifs... And slightly off topic for this, but a possible if unlikely solution to how there is a Carstairs.

message 23: by Katherine (new)

Katherine (katherines4) Im excited about it, but cant help but feel it will probably be very similar to TMI and ID...

message 24: by Daylighter (new) - added it

Daylighter (pantea13) What we know so far:

set in 2012 in LA
main characters are Emma Carstairs and Julian Blackthorn (teens)
some characters from TDA will appear in CoLS, we have to watch out for kids who are eleven or 12 years old
Emma and Julian are Shadowhunters/parabatai. They have always known they’re Shadowhunters
Emma is blonde and Julian has brown hair
Emma has blue eyes
Emma is an orphan
Cassie imagines Julian as really lanky and fine-featured
Cassie is “thinking of Julian as dark-haired, a little vulnerable, a painter, someone who wears all black, bites his nails and is likely to pull his sleeves down over his hands.”
“Julian is really tall and thin”
“Jules has brown hair and blue-green eyes”
other characters: Tiberius, Carmen, Arthur, Olivia and Mark, Helen (the oldest and Aline Penhallow’s girlfriend) and a few others. Cassie said it’s a large family -> It’s safe to assume that Arthur is a Blackthorn as well. Now we only need to know for sure how they are all related, are they all siblings or are some of them cousins?
Arthur is the father, Mark is the oldest, then Helen.
Olivia and Tiberius are twins and they are also Blackthorns
Tiberius is older than Olivia
Helen is a Blackthorn
Cristina is Mexican
Cristina used to be Carmen
Cristina is Emma’s best friend
Cristina doesn’t have a surname yet
Mark is Julian’s brother
Mark Blackthorn is older than Julian
Julian and Mark are not full-blooded brothers
Mark’s second name is Antony -> “All the Blackthorns have Greek or Latin mythology and history based names”
Surviving characters from TMI will have cameos
There will be love, magic, romantic confusion
Emma and Julian might be in love and their forbidden love is possibly a huge part of the whole story -> Emma has feelings for Julian
Emma likes to fight and train and kill things (it’s her passion)
Emma wants to be ‘as badass “as Jace Lightwood”’
Emma is “the fiercest warrior and most skilled young Shadowhunter since Jace Wayland” -> she doesn’t have special Shadowhunter powers, she just works every hard
Julian is very different to Will and Jace

message 25: by Chae (new)

Chae Ford (shadytyrell) | 8 comments This needs to come out now o________________________o

Katie Beth (inthegardenatsunrise) | 50 comments No, I think I want it to come out later. Just because I'm excited for it, and since I'm still favoring TMI and TID, I want something to look forward to. Otherwise I'll have nothing to read as a freshman in college (when it's coming out). Plus, if I'm at college my mom won't be able to say- oh! God! ANOTHER vampire and werewolf book?!- I've stopped correcting her that's it's mostly shadow hunters. ;D

message 27: by Mandy (new)

Mandy Herondale (:  (HerondaleBoys) | 2 comments wait Aline's dating a grl?

message 28: by Daylighter (new) - added it

Daylighter (pantea13) Mandy wrote: "wait Aline's dating a grl?"

She is a lesbian, so yeah.

message 29: by Daylighter (new) - added it

Daylighter (pantea13) TDA character description:

"Helen is described in City of Lost Souls. White-blond curly hair, blue-green eyes (those eyes are a hallmark of the family), petite, slightly pointed ears due to faerie blood in the family.

Mark: Same white-blond curly hair, but he has one blue eye and one gold. Tall, thin, has the same faerie blood as Helen, so rather delicate bone structure. Favored weapon: curved, single-edged blades like katanas.

Julian: Dark brown messy hair, blue-green eyes. No faerie blood here or in the rest of the family on down — he’s only half brother to Helen and Mark. Different mothers. He’s a little lanky, with high cheekbones. Bites his nails. Usually splattered in paint. Favored weapon: throwing knives, seraph blades. Seventeen years old.

Olivia: Brown hair like Julian, the same blue-green eyes. Long lashes and a cupid’s bow mouth. Where Tiberius is extraordinarily weird, Livvy is extraordinarily ordinary, at least on the surface. Underneath she’s peculiar as her brother, but in a very different way. She and Tiberius are nine months younger than Jules. Favored weapon: poison darts.

Tiberius: Manages not to look like anyone else, which Julian puts down to sheer stubbornness. Black hair and gray eyes. When he and Livvy were born they had the same gray eyes, but hers changed and though the family were sure his eyes would also change color from gray to blue-green they never did. Has the same long lashes and cupid’s bow mouth as his twin sister though. Favored weapon: Livvy will kill you if you look at him funny, so why bother?.

Drusilla: Is only thirteen. She has the Blackthorn brown hair and blue-green eyes, but she is the only one of them to have freckles. Most of the Blacthorns are lanky and tall, but Silla is compact and will grow up curvy and short.

Octavius and Ariadne are so little — Tavvy is only six, and Ari five — but they both have the Blackthorn dark brown hair and blue-green eyes.

The non-Blackthorns:

Emma has golden-blonde hair which she keeps long for sentimental reasons, but usually has braided back or up in a bun for efficiency’s sake. Her eyes are dark blue. She works extraordinarily hard at her training - her body is strong and tough, and she has a bad scar that runs up her right arm, that she’s both proud of and a little self-conscious about. Telling blonde jokes in front of her is a good way to find yourself in the hospital. “Oh dear, did I just drop that giant broadsword on your head? I guess I did! Must be cause I’m blonde.” Favored weapons: the repeating crossbow, wind-and-fire wheels.

Cristina is Hispanic; she’s from Mexico City and is one of the few Institute kids who has a living parent. She’s got gorgeous black hair, though she keeps a long swatch of it dyed red, and dark brown eyes. Where Emma has a temper, Cristina generally gets angry only if you hurt someone she cares about. Then she smiles sweetly and plans to kill you in your sleep like a ninja. Emma was thrilled when Tina came to the Institute because it meant a girl for her to be friends with, and they’re very close. Favored weapon: chain weapons like surujin.

That’s not everyone in TDA of course, or even all the people the Blackthorns know, but it’s a start."__Cassie

Call.me.tictac | 14 comments Haha IF Jace and clary both survive CoHF when we see them in TDA they would probably be into their third child
*Stolen