Debates of all sorts discussion

World issues. > Bullying/Discrimination

Comments Showing 1-50 of 140 (140 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Anony-miss (new)

Anony-miss a-non-y-miss | 399 comments Mod
Again -- who bullies, why do they bully, how can we prevent it, why are people bullied, and how can we stop it? I personally do not believe bullying can be stopped completely, but it's a try.

Also, share your experiences if you wish.

message 2: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 905 comments Mod
Everyone bullies, those who say they don't lie. We can't prevent it completely, we can lessen it but nor prevent it. It can't be stopped. The best people can do is grow thicker skins... Personally I laugh at bullies.

message 3: by Anony-miss (new)

Yeah. Sometimes they can be so negative, it's almost laughable! And sad ..

It's kind of like world hunger. It's in a lot of places, and hard to really get rid of. As long as there will be more people than food or resources, then there will be hunger. And for bullying: as long as there is a person different or new from the norm, then we're hateful or scared of it. The reactions I also get are really bizarre.

message 4: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments Cody wrote: "Everyone bullies, those who say they don't lie."

B-but I don't!

Really...

Anyway, I think if we start teaching people to stand up for themselves instead of to remain victims then it'll be a step in the right direction. Bullies, once they figure out there is nobody for them to pick on, disperse. And eventually they have to stop, to at least pretend to blend in with normal society. There is so much media out there that makes it seem okay for the victim to remain alone, not tell anyone, constantly put up with the bully and even starts to blame themselves. No, no, just bloody no. If we actually put it in people's minds that they don't have to take that shit then that's a step in the right direction.

message 5: by Cody, Ninja (new)

I'm a bloody atheistic, reddish haired, martial artist, acting, medieval loving, nerd and damned proud of it! If anyone thinks that bullying me for any of these things (or any thing I am that I didn't mention) is going to upset me well they're sadly mistaken. I'm proud of who I am.

message 6: by Anony-miss (new)

Yes, teaching tolerance would definitely do us worlds better. Maybe also teach about how stereotypes are usually wrong, or the different minorities?

Exactly, Cody. Confidence is the key.

I remember one time a girl threatened to "beat my ass" and then I walked a little faster so I could be in front. My back was usually toward her, and she started saying "fat ass, fat ass." Two things: she really likes the word ass, and two .. I'm boderline underweight, so she's blind :-P

message 7: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Tenebris In Lux wrote: "Again -- who bullies, why do they bully, how can we prevent it, why are people bullied, and how can we stop it? I personally do not believe bullying can be stopped completely, but it's a try.

..."

Bullies usually have been bullied before. Not always, but usually.

message 8: by Anony-miss (new)

A lot of bullies I know have it rough at home, or they are driven by peer pressure. Perhaps a part of their nature is to act that way? But there are so many variables ..

message 9: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Yep.

message 10: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments Nina wrote: "I understand that most bullies come from a bad home and all, but that's no excuse to take it out on other people. I mean, get some therapy classes, but don't bully people!"

You're a genius!!

This may be it! Getting these bullies to let out their aggression instead of taking it out on others may be the clue.

message 11: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments yw!

Well, sure, but you're the first person I've heard saying it so that counts for something!

message 12: by Anony-miss (new)

When things got rough, I would take it out on myself, not others. Still a horrible, horrible thing and I've paid the price for that, too.

I've grown some thicker skin due to the large amounts of bullying I've experienced (even being threatened or surrounded by groups at the wrong place, wrong time).

I'm still interested in hearing about the other answers you guys have for the above questions, specifically why someone might be bullied or what would make someone bully you?

message 13: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments People get bullied for many reasons, but they all connect to one: bullies can smell their weakness, anxiety, or insecurity.

Someone...would probably bully me because of my hair (it's in dreadlocks that look quite odd cut how they are), my obvious anxieties and insecurities, I don't know. I'm also questioning, so perhaps that? But, well, I doubt I'd stand for that too long -- even if I was too afraid to kick their ass myself I'd tell my dad. Trust me. You do not want to see my dad when it comes to his kids. So that problem would be easily solved.

message 14: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Hey for physical bullying I would strongly recommend martial arts classes. I've never been in a fight at school, but I've heard people say they won't mess with me because they know I have a brown belt... Plus I'm just mostly likable and rather non confrontational

message 15: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments I used to go to a martial arts class, but not anymore. But I don't go to a public school anyway so I doubt I'll get my ass kicked to badly anytime soon.

message 16: by Anony-miss (new)

I love dreadlocks and funky hair in general ^_^

I would love to take a martial arts class, or anything pertaining to defense and discipline. My father taught me how to throw a punch (not physically, only verbally of course), although I mostly paid attention to what he suggested I do in the case of being surrounded or pinned, etc.

For me, I get along with a lot of different kinds of people. Usually the "misfits" but I don't want to refer to any person(s) as that. We all have a place, even if we haven't figured it out yet. Even I'm not strictly a Goth, although that's what I used to me. I'm mostly that, but I'm also grunge (90s much?) and I have some touches of other stuff, really :-P

A lot of my friend suggest that I talk back in a nasty way, but I don't advocate for that. It just seems like you're feeding the fire. Thought I do reply ever so often when ignoring it doesn't work.

message 17: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments Tenebris: Thank you! So do I. Well, uh, duh, because I have them lol XD

I wasn't in much of a group, only like two or three people I knew and occasionally hung out with. My life as a loner was very, very boring. Even now when I want to talk to other people in parks or something. It's a bit sad -_-'

Aleph: Really? My younger sister got it worse than I did, people were actually pulling on her hair and stuff. But we're both black. I seriously wish people would get lives of their own :(

message 18: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments That sucks, still. Some people are just really, really sad...

message 19: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 767 comments Mod
Who bullies? Generally people who are bitter about something. It doesn't have to be their home life, as people above have implied.
If you want to completely wipe out bullying, there is a way: throw everyone into an extreme survival situation. The assholes would die soon enough because even if people did try to help them, someone else would probably be their priority. (As a matter of fact, Eskimos are noted for being extraordinarily good-natured precisely for that reason ^-^)

message 20: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

Tehe, well, no, but it'd work!!! xD

message 21: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Forever_Alone_Wolf) I wish we could end bulling. I've been bullied pretty much my whole entire life. By those, I've loved and lost. Guys. The point is, it sucks and no one deserves what I went through. I still go through it and it seems to get worse and worse through the years.

I've heard that people hate you (or bully in this case) because they have problems at home or they want to be closer to you and they don't know how. Its not a good reason to bully, but I guess its how they want to do things.

Its their character too. That's another problem. It basically becomes who they are.

message 22: by Isaac (new)

Isaac I wish we could stop it, but the point of the fact is, you can't. Just like you can't get everybody to follow the law to something as little as you can't get everybody to like vanilla ice cream.

message 23: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Forever_Alone_Wolf) Yup.

message 24: by Anony-miss (new)

Same here. I've been bullied since Kindergarten ..

message 25: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

That could work if taught properly, I agree with Aleph. The problem would be in teaching it properly...what sorts of things would be included in the curriculum? Cause obviously just saying "bullying is mean" wouldn't work :P

message 26: by Anony-miss (new)

I once heard someone offer for teachers to talk about how we should accept and learn about the different "types" of people, just then again wouldn't it be hard to stray away from stereotypes? And "types" would be too vague: I would assume they meant based off things like religion, gender, orientation, race, etc. but it would be cool to do a whole lesson on, say, the punk subculture :-P

message 27: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

I feel that just by saying 'types of people', you'd be setting yourself up for a ton of stereotyping '-_- But a lesson on punk would be great...especially if music samples were played throughout the lesson :3

message 28: by Anony-miss (new)

:-3

message 29: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

As in, subcultures within America, or like...cultures of various countries? Because the various countries thing is common enough, but I've never heard of a good class on different types of people within America or anything similar.

message 30: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Instead of people trying to stop bullying, they need to try to teach people how to react to bullying. They need to really go in deep and give everybody mental as well as physical help on how to deal with bullies.

message 31: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

I agree, but in addition to the not bullying lessons, not instead of.
Why do you disagree with having 'don't bully' lessons?

message 32: by Isaac (new)

Isaac I don't disagree with "don't bully" lessons. I mean, they should still be taught, but there needs to be more teaching on how to respond when people bully others. That's where people really need help on, because bullying leads to all sorts of awful things people do to themselves, so if we can teach how to react to people making fun of you, maybe there would be less suicide or self harm or such things.

message 33: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

Oh, alright, it sounded to me like you thought they were a bad idea originally.
I agree that learning how to deal with bullying is important, but I don't think that there's much more than at most a class period's worth of discussion in it. I mean, it's pretty much just grow a thicker skin, if you can't handle it get help from source X, Y, and/or Z. :P

message 34: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Pretty much.

message 35: by Brielle (new)

Brielle (briebrie5) We've recently talked about bullying in my school, and I beleive that bullying can be stopped. Of course, there will always be those " bad kids" here and there, but if people would learn to speak up when they see bullying or go tell somebody in charge. If people would do this more often and not just be bystanders, bullies would be caught more easier and could be delt with or punished quicker. I've learned about kids that have committed suicide, kids as young as elementary school, becuase they were bullied and nobody or very few people spoke up about it. I also don't agree with that " everyone bullies" statement. Everyone has said mean or hurtful things before, but that doesn't mean you're a bully. Bullies continuously do and say hurtful to a person or group of people. Anyways, that's all I gotta say :)

message 36: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments Brie :-) wrote: "We've recently talked about bullying in my school, and I beleive that bullying can be stopped. Of course, there will always be those " bad kids" here and there, but if people would learn to speak u..."

But what if the people in charge are the ones who say nothing, what if they back up the bully or even are the bully? I agree with you, we need to teach kids that it's not against any stupid code of "honor" or something to tell on bullies, but sometimes just telling an authority figure or even a parent just won't do any good. I think that, more than telling, kids need to learn to band together and stand up for themselves against the bullies. That's the only way it's really going to stop.

message 37: by Isaac (new)

Isaac ^This.

I have a friend who could beat the crap out of somebody bullying me. But my other friends, even if together, couldn't stop a bully. Heck, one of those friends even bullies me from time to time.

I like Italy's idea. Maybe if kids band together and speak up and stop the bully in a non-violent way, maybe it would work. Friends or not.

message 38: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments Aleph wrote: "Emily [Just singin' in the rain] wrote: "I don't disagree with "don't bully" lessons. I mean, they should still be taught, but there needs to be more teaching on how to respond when people bully o..."

But, I mention, sometimes just telling an authority figure will not be enough. Some parents simply don't care, or are just like "Oh yeah be a man and stand up for yourself" or something. Teachers, sure some of them do try, but as shown by how high bullying cases are they don't try nearly enough. That anti-bullying plan is a wonderful idea and should be mandatory in schools but it's just not enough. More than that, you need to teach people how to stand up for themselves and actually stand together, because even if they are kept safe in schools they'll just get bullied once they're adults. Standing up for yourself is not unfair. Sometimes teaching people to just walk away isn't enough. Believe me, many kids walk away. But guess what? The bullies follow them. Many schools have intense bullying plans with harder punishments, but guess what? They just scare the students into not telling anybody. And like I said, what if it's the teachers who are bullying, what then? And what classifies as bullying? Throwing slurs? Hitting someone? The term would be to easy to get around. That's why so many bullies get free now -- after all, they're not bullying, because Lindsay really is a slut or a dyke and everyone's saying it.

Isn't it a good thing to add yourself to the situation of a bully? Think of it this way, if there's two bullies and Lindsay and Noah, well, Lindsay and Noah can't be everywhere together so obviously Lindsay and Noah will be alone and vulnerable to bullying at certain times. BUT if Penn, Darrius and Emma decide that they don't want to stand around and watch Lindsay and Noah get picked on anymore, that's five people against two bullies. It's easier for them to be in more places, easier for them to be witnesses to the bullying and easier to make a claim to get the bullies expelled if such harassment continues. I'm not saying fight fire with fire, like beat up the bullies or anything. I'm saying to not think you can handle a bully by yourself, to indeed stand up against a bully and realize you don't want to live that way and you can indeed change it.

And guess what? Doing all that will only help getting people aware, because if Noah's parent's don't care he's getting picked on if Penn tells her parents they may find a very big issue with this. Somewhere along the line people have forgotten that to be strong sometimes we need each other. Isn't that what a community is all about? Isn't that what a shared planet is all about?

message 39: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments Long post is long.

message 40: by Brielle (new)

Brielle (briebrie5) I agree with Italy and Aleph. Yes, I know that sometimes adults can bully too, but most of the time, it's a kid around the victim's age doing it. Kids do need to learn to stand up for each other together but also just need to let someone else know that can do something to stop it. And I know standing up to the situation will get you involved in it, but even just one person can make a difference and lets the victim know that he/she is not alone.

message 41: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Italy♥ wrote: "Aleph wrote: "Emily [Just singin' in the rain] wrote: "I don't disagree with "don't bully" lessons. I mean, they should still be taught, but there needs to be more teaching on how to respond when ..."

But like I said, if you teach classes on how to react, they won't react badly, correct? Meaning that the bully won't get the satisfaction they wanted out of them, which would usually mean the bullying would fizzle out.

message 42: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

That depends, some bullies might take that as a challenge :/

message 43: by Anony-miss (new)

Some bullies take what some classes teach and use to to an advantage, sadly. I know in elementary school (a loooong long time ago ..) our only school counselor would come in and tell us what to say in the case a bully confronts us, and the different types. That was all. Sadly, high school is not elementary school, and bullying can escalate ..

One of my main elementary school bullies is in my orchestra class. We had some free time today, so we all drew and doodled on the board. I drew a small bat with a balloon in its mouth (yeah, random) and she came up to me, grabbed the marker from me, and said "what is that?"
"a bat"
"it looks weird. Why did you draw one?"
No response as she erased it. -_-

Some people don't grow up .. she acts just the same, sadly.

message 44: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

...Wow. I guess I would be upset if I was in elementary school, but in high school? I'd probably laugh at the immaturity of it all >.<

message 45: by Anony-miss (new)

Yeah, it was a little irritating to me, but she hasn't changed at all .. so I wasn't overly upset about it. Just a little sad she hasn't changed.

message 46: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

It is. I feel like people like that have actual problems in their life, so I feel kinda bad for them...maybe because I've never really been bullied >.<

message 47: by Anony-miss (new)

Some kids don't want to stand up because they know, in a way, they bring attention to themselves for standing up even if they weren't bullied in the first place. Almost like putting their neck on the line.

I think we need to change our mindset. Most people think "oh well, sucks to be you" or "I'd hate to be that person." Frankly, I have stood up for some complete strangers, and yes I was harassed as well for standing up, but the feeling of standing up for them really helped.

Here's a story:
One time I noticed a girl being yelled at during lunch. Perplexed, I came closer to observe. She was from India, but for some reason someone kept calling her Chinese (I know, totally weird and confusing, but obviously that person wanted to offend this girl). So I came up to the bully and said square in her face, "No, she is not Chinese, how do you determine these things?" The bully was alone, mind you. The girl thanked me and repeated what I said. The bully backed away.

It was truly in that moment when I and that complete stranger (the girl) but we definitely exposed how little and inferior that bully was. So yes, I like the way of kids banding together to stop bullies. There is not guarantee that this will work in every school, but a lot of teenagers know that the world isn't exactly the best place, and a lot of us have that feeling that we live in a "dog eats dog" kind of world. We live in a trying time with a lot of hardships, and bullying shouldn't really exist to add onto pressure.

message 48: by Anony-miss (new)

Oh, the one who made fun of my little dry erase maker art from the previous post Rachel, I've met her mother and she's quite a sweetheart. It's just her daughter is a bit bossy, nothing that bad. I don't really get along with bossy people (who does?)

message 49: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

Well, it doesn't necessarily have to be the mom xD Plus, my mom acts totally different around strangers :P
My best friend in 2nd grade-ish was the bossiest girl ever...but then again, at the time I didn't really care who I was friends with as long as I wasn't a complete loner, heh.

message 50: by Anony-miss (new)

Ah. I see. Yeah, I know it isn't always the mum (I think she only lives with her mum, so I was kind of saying her mum was her only parent that would influence her, if at all). And yeah, some parents can act different, but I do think she was a genuinely nice person.

What I love about the little group of friends I hang out with it that there is no leader. I'm the oldest of the group, but I don't really think age matters. A lot of them say they respect me because I apparently give good advice and I'm a calm person? heh

« previous 1 3