Debates of all sorts discussion

World issues. > Animal Abuse

Comments Showing 1-50 of 84 (84 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Anony-miss (new)

Anony-miss a-non-y-miss | 399 comments Mod
What is considered animal abuse? How can we stop it? Who is stopping it? How is starting it?

message 2: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS Lab testing on animals, and just normal abuse. So sad. :(

message 3: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Forever_Alone_Wolf) Well, it really depends because some animals are born to it that or they were sick and tried to use something to help on the animal to help us.

message 4: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 767 comments Mod
I think it's OK to maybe conduct a small preliminary trial on animals for (human, tests for animal medicines should be done on animals) medicine to see if they all spontaneously combust after taking the meds or not, but really, the majority of testing should be on human subjects. Animal responses aren't always predictive of human responses, among other things :P

message 5: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Forever_Alone_Wolf) I have a friend that thinks that animal abuse is wrong, and I think it just depends on what's going on. Honestly, some are bred for it. Sounds weird, but true.

message 6: by ♥ Rachel♥, Hey, whoa, I'm a mod! (new)

♥ Rachel♥   (i_got_a_jar_of_dirt) | 767 comments Mod
So because they were bred for it, it's OK for them to suffer so that somebody can have a new type of mascara? :P

message 7: by luhvBOOKS (new)

luhvBOOKS That is sooooo cruel, Raven.

message 8: by John (new)

John Egbert (heirofbreath) | 492 comments Raven wrote: "I have a friend that thinks that animal abuse is wrong, and I think it just depends on what's going on. Honestly, some are bred for it. Sounds weird, but true."

Really? Sorry to say, but that's beyond cruel. I don't know about you but I think it's even worse to force animals to multiply just so you can slaughter them. And for what? Cosmetics? Coats? It's, frankly, disgusting.

message 9: by Brigid ✩ (new)

Brigid ✩ Well, animal testing can be cruel, and I don't think anyone likes it. I don't think cosmetics should be tested on animals because they're not as vitally important. But things like medicine ... it's probably better to test it on animals than on people. Yes, it can be harmful and very sad. But, people would be making a bigger stink about it, if human beings were the ones being tested.

message 10: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (nickirows) | 103 comments I agree with everyone about lab testing. If I have to a choose between a rat dying or my cancer-striken grandmother... I think everyone would choose the same as I would.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

Nicki wrote: "I agree with everyone about lab testing. If I have to a choose between a rat dying or my cancer-striken grandmother... I think everyone would choose the same as I would."

Its not just a rat dying though, its thousands of animals suffering.

message 12: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (nickirows) | 103 comments Jodie♥ wrote: "Nicki wrote: "I agree with everyone about lab testing. If I have to a choose between a rat dying or my cancer-striken grandmother... I think everyone would choose the same as I would."

Its not jus..."

Not all animals being tested on suffer. Moreover, there are thousands more suffering from cancer, and thousands upon thousands grieving because loved ones have died from cancer. A small percentage of animals are tested upon so that a large percentage of people can benefit. I'd like more government regulation put in place so that the animals tested upon are not put in pain, but I think overall animal testing for medicinal purposes does more good than harm.

And I'd like to point out that I only support animal testing for medical reasons, not cosmetics or shampoo or anything else.

message 13: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Cody (rolinor) | 905 comments Mod
This ^^^

message 14: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Forever_Alone_Wolf) Què?

message 15: by Anony-miss (new)

Whenever I hear things about testing and lab animals such as mice I can't help but to think about Flowers For Algernon .

message 16: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Forever_Alone_Wolf) Really? I'm guessing a book?

message 17: by Anony-miss (new)

Yeah. But they try to triple the intelligence of a mouse and a man, not simply testing drugs on a mouse :-P But I highly recommend it. Good book.

message 18: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Forever_Alone_Wolf) Ew, um..... I'll look over it.

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 15, 2012 07:16PM) (new)

Nicki wrote: "Jodie♥ wrote: "Nicki wrote: "I agree with everyone about lab testing. If I have to a choose between a rat dying or my cancer-striken grandmother... I think everyone would choose the same as I would..."

I agree with you, but what bothers me about animal testing is that they do it for unnecessary things, like some diet pills, which is self inflicted. And considering their are alternatives to animal testing i am (90% of the time) against it.

message 20: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Forever_Alone_Wolf) Yeah, its horrible. Animal testing, is horrible.

message 21: by Anony-miss (new)

And plus, mice are not equal to humans ..

message 22: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Forever_Alone_Wolf) Nope. We should just live with the fact that not every sickness can be cured, I mean really. We've come close for all (some are finished) sicknesses, but some just won't go away.

message 23: by Anony-miss (new)

I suppose way back long ago they never thought there would be a cure for smallpox, but now ..

I'd like to see cancer and AIDS go away.

message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Tenebris In Lux wrote: "And plus, mice are not equal to humans .."

It's all kinds of animals that get tested on, dogs cats and rabbits, even more.All animals deserved to be loved as pets or in the wild, not tortured in some science lab.

message 25: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (nickirows) | 103 comments Jodie♥ wrote: "Tenebris In Lux wrote: "And plus, mice are not equal to humans .."

It's all kinds of animals that get tested on, dogs cats and rabbits, even more.All animals deserved to be loved as pets or in the..."

Like I said, I don't support testing for anything other than medicine (as in the curing of a disease). So I don't support the testing of diet pills. And I don't support animals being bred to be tested on.

I guess what I would do if I were in charge is yeah, I'd use dogs, cats, rabbits, rats, etc. But I'd put regulations in place banning long-term illness and pain for them. And after say, a year (or another short term based on how long one trial would take), they have to be replaced and all of the animals must be adopted.

message 26: by Nicki (last edited Jan 16, 2012 06:08AM) (new)

Nicki (nickirows) | 103 comments I mean, both my grandmother and my mother had cancer. Neither died, but they came pretty close. Given my family history, I'm most likely going to die from cancer someday. I'm predicting my own death, lol. Now if scientists can find a way to prevent that happening, without causing overly unneccessary suffering on the animals, I'll support that. All sicknesses can be cured. It's just a matter of how much time and effort one wants to put into it.

message 27: by Hannah (new)

Hannah (Forever_Alone_Wolf) Who doesn't want sicknesses to go away? Also, cancer isn't genetics.

message 28: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (nickirows) | 103 comments No, cancer isn't genetic. But you can have a genetic predisposition to cancer.

message 29: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 132 comments I guess I'm gonna go against the grain and say that it really ticks me off when people are more concerned about animals than they are about people...yes, animals are cute and innocent, but they're not equatable to humans, in my opinion. I say- until everything's been done that can be done to alleviate the suffering of every single child on this planet (including finding cures for diseases like cancer), forget the damn animals (though I do apologize if my bluntness offends anyone).

but I do agree that flowers for algernon was a wonderful- albeit very sad- book.

message 30: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (nickirows) | 103 comments Kirby wrote: "I guess I'm gonna go against the grain and say that it really ticks me off when people are more concerned about animals than they are about people...yes, animals are cute and innocent, but they're ..."

I'm for some animal testing, but I'm going to have to disagree with you. Animals can feel pain, and on that level, they are equatable to humans. An animal does not deserve to suffer it's whole life to save people. If I found the cure for cancer by torturing kittens or puppies, I don't know if I could live with myself.

This is a classic case of "Do the ends justify the means?". To you, yes. To me, no. The only animal testing I'd support is animal testing that doesn't have any long-term negative effects on the animal. But I do not support animals being hurt or killed during testing.

message 31: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 132 comments Nicki wrote: "Kirby wrote: "I guess I'm gonna go against the grain and say that it really ticks me off when people are more concerned about animals than they are about people...yes, animals are cute and innocent..."

hmmmm...so if you were faced with the choice of running over a child or a dog, you would find that a difficult choice to make, seeing as how both would feel the pain? I'm sorry, but I just can't wrap my head around that- I'd run over 100 of my OWN dogs before I'd hit one stranger's child...

I assume you're a vegetarian- do you think all people should be?

message 32: by Nicki (new)

Nicki (nickirows) | 103 comments Actually, I'm not a vegetarian. I love meat. I have meat with every meal. Just because you care about an animal's pain doesn't mean you're automatically a vegetarian.

And I'll respect your opinion, that's your choice. Personally, that would be a difficult choice. Would I choose the dog? Of course. But I'd feel terrible for the rest of my life, and I'd run it over so it wouldn't suffer. My point is, we don't have the authority to torture animals so that we can cure our diseases.

message 33: by ARTPOP (last edited May 31, 2013 03:33AM) (new)

ARTPOP  | 152 comments I think that what they do to dogs in China is disgraceful. Did you see in the state they are kept in. They are crammed into tiny cage so that they cant move. They are starved and dehydrated then electrocuted to death! The poor animals! That's what I call animal cruelty!

message 34: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Well if they're eating them I highly doubt they're starving... meat has to have fat in it to taste any good....

message 35: by ARTPOP (new)

ARTPOP  | 152 comments It's true.Click on this link.
http://www.wspa.org.uk/wspaswork/dogs...

message 36: by ARTPOP (new)

ARTPOP  | 152 comments Also I don't like the way people train their dogs to attack people by practicing on cats.

message 37: by ARTPOP (new)

ARTPOP  | 152 comments Imagine the pain the poor kittens go through!

message 38: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 132 comments Nicki wrote: "Actually, I'm not a vegetarian. I love meat. I have meat with every meal. Just because you care about an animal's pain doesn't mean you're automatically a vegetarian.

And I'll respect your opinio..."

sorry, I had just assumed b/c you said that- at least on some levels- animals were equatable to humans. but you know what they say about assuming! :)

on another note, I'm pretty sure that there's actually very little "torture" involved in animal testing. it's well regulated, and they've made advances in anesthetizing the animals. actually, I'm pretty sure that the feed animals go through worse things than lab animals...

message 39: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 132 comments Lorelli wrote: "I think that what they do to dogs in China is discraseful. They eat them. But did you see in the state they are kept in. They are in a tiny cage and they cant stand up,cramed together too. They are..."

well, of course (as an american) I find the idea of eating dogs, cats, or horses distasteful...but I'm not sure how much of that is just due to typical american ethnocentrism. we always think that other cultures should only eat the animals that we eat, and I'm not so sure that this is a good attitude to have...

message 40: by ARTPOP (last edited May 31, 2013 03:41AM) (new)

ARTPOP  | 152 comments So true. I guess in their culture somethings are different. But still torturing animals first before eating them is mental! Why would you do that?

message 41: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 132 comments Lorelli wrote: "So true. I guess in their culture everything (well almost everything) is differant. But still torturing animals first before eating them is mental! Why would you do that?"

well, I think we do the same thing w/ cows and chickens (well- maybe not quite as bad)...but, you're right- that most certainly does not make it okay to do! I guess that unless they closely regulate those things, companies are almost always going to put profits ahead of doing the right thing...

I also agree w/ you about the attack dog thing- that's not right either...

message 42: by ARTPOP (new)

ARTPOP  | 152 comments Thank you. Well cows and chickens have been killed and eaten by people for so many years and yes I agree that it is like eating a dog...(kind of) but as long we don't make animals suffer it is ok.

message 43: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Hey if you care about animals being overly put into pain only eat Kobe beef those cows are treated like kings (until they're killed of course) and it will be the best beef you could possibly taste, granted it's also very expensive... I want kobe beef... Look at that marbling! http://www.kobe-beef-store.com/domest...

Yes that's 200$ for four 16 oz steaks...

message 44: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Aleph wrote: "Cody wrote: "Hey if you care about animals being overly put into pain only eat Kobe beef those cows are treated like kings (until they're killed of course) and it will be the best beef you could po..."

True, if you have a local butcher you should always buy from them over Wal-Mart, for one the meat will be exponentially better, it's probably healthier but it may be a little more expensive.

message 45: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 132 comments Aleph wrote: "McDonalds are evil animal abuse wise. They should die!!!"

did you see that story recently where mcdonald's put up a hashtag or whatever (I actually have no clue what that is, but anway...) thinking it would help promote them, and people ended up just talking trash and trading horror stories? I thought that was really funny...

message 46: by Anony-miss (last edited Jan 29, 2012 12:29PM) (new)

Like the hashtag (#) for Twitter? Seems likely ..

message 47: by Kirby (new)

Kirby | 132 comments Tenebris In Lux wrote: "Like the hashtag (#) for Twitter? Seems likely .."

yeah, I guess so...

message 48: by Anony-miss (new)

Aha, found an article:
http://tucsoncitizen.com/usa-today-ne...

message 49: by ARTPOP (last edited Jan 30, 2012 11:33AM) (new)

ARTPOP  | 152 comments Mcdonalds,KFC,Burgerking,chicken cottage etc... are all evil and should all die! Not just mcdonalds.

message 50: by Cody, Ninja (new)

Cook Out is the only fast food chain I can enjoy... And they're a tiny little chain...

« previous 1