Romance Lovers for the Challenge-Impaired discussion

Lord of the Vampires (Royal House of Shadows, #1)
This topic is about Lord of the Vampires
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archived "Buddy Reads" > Lord of the Vampires (Nov 7th)

Comments Showing 1-50 of 113 (113 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Lord of the Vampires (Royal House of Shadows, #1) is the first book in the Royal House of Shadows series by Gena Showalter.

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Thanks for setting this up, ✿Michelle✿!
I have the book, so I can start this whenever in November. I currently have no other Buddy Reads scheduled.

message 3: by Michelle (last edited Oct 26, 2011 06:18PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Hey Heather. I'll order my copy right now. It should be here no later than Monday with the free 2 day [business] shipping through Amazon Prime. Do you want to plan on the starting Nov 7th? It's a Harlequin Nocturne, so it won't be a long read, it'll just give me a week to half-ass unpack after my move.

message 4: by Heather (last edited Oct 26, 2011 07:02PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments The 7th works fine for me. Also gives it time in case others want to join!

message 5: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Eek! I thought that was a surprise, Heather!

message 6: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Thanks!

message 7: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments Oh! I have this on my shelf! I'll dig it out and join in on this :)

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I just book it for my nook instead of ordering. I feel like I need to be using my nook a little more often.

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Susan (susayq) wrote: "Oh! I have this on my shelf! I'll dig it out and join in on this :)"

Great Susan!!

Tracey Smith | 415 comments I've seen these on the shelves at the bookstore. Are they YA?

Tracey Smith | 415 comments Nevermind, just read a review, answered my own question :). I may try to get this one and join in

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Great, Tracey!

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Tracey wrote: "Nevermind, just read a review, answered my own question :). I may try to get this one and join in"

That great Tracey!

message 14: by Lina (new) - rated it 1 star

Lina | 5563 comments I don't think I'll join for this one, but I'll probably lurk :-p

message 15: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Oh, I'll definitely lurk! ☺

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments No problem ladies. =)

Tracey Smith | 415 comments OK I just bought the book at it says 4 books in 1 on the cover. There are actually 4 stories in this book first titled "Lord of the Vampires" then "The Darkest Angel", "The Amazon's Curse", "The Darkest Prison". Are all 4 stories being read for this buddy read or just the first?

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Just the 1st one, Tracey.

Tracey Smith | 415 comments Ok thanks! I'm definitely in! Looking forward to it

message 20: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Is this an anthology? I ask b/c I'm in an anthology challenge.

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I'll get the participants/ chapter list together in a bit.

message 22: by Lina (new) - rated it 1 star

Lina | 5563 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Is this an anthology? I ask b/c I'm in an anthology challenge."

Not the version I have, Lisa Kay. Maybe Tracey got a bundle edition?

message 23: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Oh. Okay, thanks, CaroB.

message 24: by Michelle (last edited Nov 04, 2011 05:05PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments [image error]

GR SYNOPSIS:

Once upon a time…the Blood Sorcerer vanquished the kingdom of Elden. To save their children, the queen scattered them to safety and the king filled them with a need for vengeance. Only a magical timepiece connects the four royal heirs…and time is running out.

Nicolai the Vampire is renowned for his virility, but in a cruel twist of fate “The Dark Seducer” has become a sex slave in the kingdom of Delfina—stripped of his precious timepiece and his memory. All that remains is a primal need for freedom, revenge—and the only woman who can help him.

When the wanton vampire summons Jane Parker, she is helpless to obey. She's drawn to his dark sexuality and into his magical realm. But for this human, all is not a fairy tale. For saving Nicolai could mean losing the only man she's ever craved...

* This is book 1 in The Royal House of Shadows series, also Harlequin Nocturne # 119.

** Expect spoilers

message 25: by Michelle (last edited Nov 04, 2011 05:21PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I have this on my Nook, and there's a total of 20 chapters. It looks like there's 4 of us participating. How does 4 or 5 chapters per day sound?

Paricipants (so far):
Heather
Susan (susayq)
Tracey
Michelle

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments ✿Michelle✿ wrote: "I have this on my Nook, and there's a total of 20 chapters. It looks like there's 4 of us participating. How does 4 or 5 chapters per day sound?"

I'm good with either.

message 27: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments That's fine with me :)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments How about we go with 4, that way we finish on Friday?

Tracey Smith | 415 comments 4 works for me

Tracey Smith | 415 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Is this an anthology? I ask b/c I'm in an anthology challenge."

The cover of my book has the same cover as shown here and only says Lord of the Vampires as titled, however when I opened it I realized there were 4 stories in it, the first is 200 pages but the whole book is not more than 600 so the other stories can't be long.

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Good to know, Tracey. I have that same bundle on hold at my library, so I know what you are referring to.

message 32: by Lisa Kay, Moderator (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 20797 comments Thanks, Tracey!

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Heather wrote: "How about we go with 4, that way we finish on Friday?"

Works for me!

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I'm running late for a meeting at work, so I'll post our chapters/ discussion order when I get home. I don't mind going first, unless someone else wants to :)

message 35: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments that's fine with me!

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments I'm back, and I'm reading! I'll have my questions posted soon :)

message 37: by Michelle (last edited Nov 07, 2011 05:08PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments This will be a quick read for us!

Date	Chapters	PPQ

11/7	 1-5	 Michelle

11/8	 6-11	 Heather

11/9	 12-17	 Susan 

11/10	 17-20	 Tracey

PPQ = person posting questions (thanks CaroB!)

message 38: by Michelle (last edited Nov 07, 2011 05:19PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Michelle’s questions to chapters 1-5

1.Is this the first novel that you’ve read by Gena Showalter? If so, what do you think so far? If now, how does this compare to her other novels so far?

2.Jane works in “fringe science”, and already believes in creatures of the night. What went through you mind when you read that?

3.During the prologue, Nicolai is described as the “Dark Seducer”. Any thoughts on that?

4.If you were Jane, what do you think your reaction would be to receiving a package from an unknown source?

5.Jane is supposed to be Princess Odette (returned from the grave), what were thoughts when you realize this story was heading in this direction? How did she get from Oklahoma to Delfina?

6.When Jane realizes she’s not in Oklahoma anymore, she seems to take it pretty well, don’t you think?

7.Nicolai keeps thinking “Must taste female” and “Mine” a lot. Did you laugh out loud when reading that line?

8.Nicolai is a clearly a tortured hero. I know we’ve seen this in other PNR novels. How well do you think Gena Showalter writing is character? Are you impressed by him?

9.Am I confused? Nicolai is a vampire, who not only summoned Jane to another world, but is able to masker her appearance. Was he something “other” before being turned?

10.Did you feel the escape scene during chapter 5 came too soon or right on time?

11.So far, what are your thoughts on Jane as a heroine? Good? Bad? Or Indifferent?

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Michelle's answers to ch 15 ques:

1. It's not my first novel by Gena Showalter, and Nicolai reminds me of the hero in one of her Lords of the Underworld series.

2. I was thinking that must be a pretty intersting and scary job to have, LOL!

3. I thought "there'll be probably be lots, and lots of sex in this very quick read."

4. My curiosity probably would've gotten the best of me, and I'd be in Delfina right now too, LOL!

5. I was thinking that Jane must be her look alike, or a distant relative. I was thinking more along the lines of time travel, not realm travel.

6. I was almost a little disappinted with her reaction. It was just too easy. But then, she's lost her family in a tragic accident, and maybe Jane is extremely open-minded and up for an adventure after so much sadness and isolation.

7. I mean seriously! Super duper alpha male!

8. He's definitely tortured. I like that he's dealing with this magically induced amnesia. That's definitely different for me. It adds "meat" to the story.

9. ????
10. For me, it depends of where the story goes from here.

11. I'm still trying to make my mind up about Jane.

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments Michelle’s questions to chapters 1-5

1.Is this the first novel that you’ve read by Gena Showalter? If so, what do you think so far? If now, how does this compare to her other novels so far?

I've only read Awaken Me Darkly and wasn't overly impressed by it. This one was a slow go at the beginning, but I got into it as of Chapter 3. I'm not a huge fan of her writing style (either for Awaken Me Darkly or here).

2.Jane works in “fringe science”, and already believes in creatures of the night. What went through you mind when you read that?
That this was pretty vague, but that I was glad we didn't have to go through the whole "discovery" episode, which is refreshing. lol I think it ties in more with another series Gena Showalter writes, so if I had read it, I might understand more.

3.During the prologue, Nicolai is described as the “Dark Seducer”. Any thoughts on that?
*sigh*Another horny, devilish vampire?? =)

4.If you were Jane, what do you think your reaction would be to receiving a package from an unknown source?
Curiosity like her and then a quick toss in the nearest fire if I saw blood all over my hands like she did. So kudos to her for picking up the thing again.

5.Jane is supposed to be Princess Odette (returned from the grave), what were thoughts when you realize this story was heading in this direction? How did she get from Oklahoma to Delfina?
I initially thought that this was going to be a story of her returning to her nature home, that she was banished to the human world. TOTALLY GOT THAT WRONG. lol
I'm really liking the twist on why she's there, not like something I've read before. I'm not sure how she crossed realms, other than the book being some kind of link between the worlds, but I could be totally wrong again.

6.When Jane realizes she’s not in Oklahoma anymore, she seems to take it pretty well, don’t you think?
No freak outs, but her rationalizing about the creatures she worked with in the past who described this new world/realm made her not running away screaming make more sense.

7.Nicolai keeps thinking “Must taste female” and “Mine” a lot. Did you laugh out loud when reading that line?
I remember thinking "Oooookkkkaaaaayyyyyy, calm the heck down you horny little devil."

8.Nicolai is a clearly a tortured hero. I know we’ve seen this in other PNR novels. How well do you think Gena Showalter writing is character? Are you impressed by him?
I feel as if the torture hero bit is an overplayed type much of the time lately, maybe I've just read too much of it. I like his character the more I read. His reaction to Jane's whipping was intense and all he did to himself to get free was even more intense. Was I the only one thinking why it took him so long to break his bones to try to free himself. Was it only because he was alone in the room?

9.Am I confused? Nicolai is a vampire, who not only summoned Jane to another world, but is able to masker her appearance. Was he something “other” before being turned?
Now, here I thought he was born a vampire (from my take of the prologue) so I think he has some powers above and beyond. This might be better explained in Gena Showalter's Lords of the Underworld series (I think this book is a spin-off of it???), but you are not alone in being confused!

10.Did you feel the escape scene during chapter 5 came too soon or right on time?
I was just happy that Jane's lashing stopped, and did you all get a little tingle at the same time Jane did when she heard the Roar? lol I say it came right on time!

11.So far, what are your thoughts on Jane as a heroine? Good? Bad? Or Indifferent?
I really like her thus far actually. Her rambling/blabbering makes her human, maybe a little irritating but I like that about her. She's tough, smart and realizes mistakes made. It'll be interesting to see where she goes from here.

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments @✿Michelle✿
#3 - LOL, me too! I'm thinking lots of smexiness against trees, walls, ground.... anything but the bed.

#8 - I like that about him too. There seems to be quite a few layers about him that makes him an interesting hero.

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Heather wrote: "@✿Michelle✿
#3 - LOL, me too! I'm thinking lots of smexiness against trees, walls, ground.... anything but the bed.

#8 - I like that about him too. There seems to be quite a few layers about h..."

Your response to #7 has me LMAO!!!!!!!

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments I just get envisioning this rabid vampire behind bars saying "mine" and thrusting, repeatedly. It was a little disturbing and very funny. To me anyway. lol

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Heather wrote: "I just get envisioning this rabid vampire behind bars saying "mine" and thrusting, repeatedly. It was a little disturbing and very funny. To me anyway. lol"

I know it!!!!! That whole "mine" and the roaring and growing is sooooooo PNR alpha male, and I just can't get enough of it, hehehehehe!

Tracey Smith | 415 comments Michelle’s questions to chapters 1-5

This is my first Gena Showalter book. In a lot of the fantasy/paranormals I've read recently there is usually an era of mystery where you have to figure out who/what the characters are and gradually discover their back story. I was a little surprised with how blatant the plot was with the once upon a time beginning. She spells it out for you right from the start so you know exactly who he is and what's happening without having to figure it out. Not sure if I like that approach. I don't like to be completely confused but I do like to feel like I'm figuring it out. So far it's been very obvious. However the Alice in Wonderland references are interesting and I'm curious to see how many parallels this story will draw.

Seems any easy way to throw her into this fairy tale without all the confusion, panic, etc that would go along with someone who had to discover and come to terms with the supernatural while experiencing it. So far she's taken everything in stride like waking up in an alternate magical realm is perfectly normal.

Sexy intro. Definitely sets a certain expectation for his character that I think he's lived up to so far. Like getting her to straddle him while he answers her questions.

I would have opened the book out of sheer curiosity and definitely would have kept reading if I discovered a parallel to dreams I'd been having.

Definitely a plot twist I hadn't expected so early on if at all. Reminded me a several movies I've seen but have never read a book written this way. Again I am intrigued by the Alice in Wonderland theme. Found it intersting that they actually called the queen the Queen of Hearts.

A little too well in my opinion. I would be freaking out! I think the author gave her this "fringe scientist" back story so that she could skip over having to deal with a freaked out heroine and jump right into the core plot of Nicolai needing her help to escape. I was almost annoyed with her for not being more compassionate towards him and leaving him chained up to calmly question him. Then straddle and grind him while questioning him? That part wasn't flowing well for me. It just didn't feel like something that anybody would really do.

I like the possessiveness of "mine" especially since he's admitted that he didn't summon her specifically, showed some disappointment that she was human, and his original plan is to abandon her as soon as he's free. The "must taste female" seems more a vampire reaction, the "mine" seems more of a male reaction and the first sign that he might not just leave her the first chance he gets.

I find his character more believable than Jane's so far. I like the way she is writing him.

I don't think so. He seemed amused by the fact that she called him a magical vampire, from that I inferred that all vampires probably have some power and he thinks it's funny that she doesn't realize it. His parents obviously had power also as explained in the prologue. And since he has parents I think he may be a "born this way" vampire rather than turned.

I'm glad they escaped. I'm interested to see how their relationship develops now. They were very limited in where they could go while still imprisoned. Escaping opened up more possibilities for where this story could go and peaked my interest more than it probably would be at this point if they were still in the initial set up at the castle.

Unrealistic? She just doesn't feel real to me yet.haven't really connected with her character but I'm keeping an open mind.

Tracey Smith | 415 comments @ Heather #5. I thought the same thing that she was one of those that got cast out and forgot her identity and was returning "home". However I think that would make her his sister, so kinda glad that's not the case. Lol. But definitely had the same guess at first.

@ Michelle I think time travel may still play into this story where she writes in that journal and sends it to herself somehow (the character herself has actually contemplated that, again with the spelling it out for us). But I also had a suspicion when she first woke up that she may have just traveled back in time. I did expect her to look like Odette and was surprised at Odette's actual description reminded me of Cinderella's ugly stepsisters. Lol

message 47: by Michelle (last edited Nov 08, 2011 03:06AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Michelle Gilmore | 3220 comments Tracey wrote: "@ Heather #5. I thought the same thing that she was one of those that got cast out and forgot her identity and was returning "home". However I think that would make her his sister, so kinda glad th..."

Good point Tracey about Jane writing the book and sending it to herself. I think we're in for an interesting plot twist, and probably a sex scene or two in some odd place like Heather said, LOL!

message 48: by Susan (susayq ~), Moderator (new) - rated it 2 stars

Susan (susayq ~) (susayq) | 6062 comments I'm a little behind right this minute *hangs head* I promise I'll be caught up by this afternoon though and have my questions answered :)

Heather (messybar) | 1307 comments No worries, Susan. They will be here whenever you get caught up! I still need to finish today's reading and come up with questions myself.

Tracey Smith | 415 comments Plan on doing today's reading on my lunch break :). Glad they are short chapters

« previous 1 3
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.