Classic Horror Lovers discussion

Off Topic Folder > On line or device Readers

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by David (new)

David Elkin | 124 comments I have found some great suggestions and recommendations. I have the Color Nook and use at least 4 PC on-line readers as well. Calibre is the best, IMHO. I wonder how many other members read on-line or on a device. Oh yeah, I have reader on my smart phone but it is too difficult (size) to read.

I have found a number of recommended books on line for free or less than $5. How about everybody else?

As for the authors, do you like or dislike ebooks?

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 1343 comments Mod
Hi David. I'm going to move this to the off topic section.

I have a Kindle, and I prefer reading ebooks on it to reading online. I love my Kindle so much because of the avenues of reading it has opened for me, with the enormous wealth of classic/older books out there that are free or very cheap.

message 3: by David (new)

David Elkin | 124 comments I think the new Kindle's will help spark a boom in reading the classics. For online reading, my choice remains Calibre, though I have Kindle, Nook and Kobo aps as well.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 1343 comments Mod
My sister has an IPad, and she uses most of the apps. She doesn't like the Nook or the I-Books apps very much. She really likes Kobo and Kindle, and she uses Caliber for conversion of files.

message 5: by Char (new)

Char I'm a Kindler! I actually downloaded Calibre as a way to track/organize my books but couldn't figure out how to use it, so deleted it!
I am so non-techie : )

Scott, I can't deal with that tiny reading screen. I couldn't read books on a phone for that reason. I bought the Kindle DX just because it's more like an actual sized book.

message 7: by Naima (new)

Naima Haviland (naimahaviland) | 19 comments I love kindle, as a reader AND a writer. I read the regular kindle because its e-ink technology mimics print & is easier on the eyes. I'm currently reading the free classics Varney the Vampure and Catherine Gaskell's North and South. As a writer, I like how easy it is to format for kindle and I like Amazon's tools for self-publishing and marketing.

message 8: by Steve (new)

Steve Chaput (stevec50) RainyB wrote: "Love my Nook and all the classics I can download for free!

I work in a public library and many libraries are now offering e-books to borrow on your Nook, Kindle and other readers. As long as yo..."

I have a Nook (one of the classic B&W ones) and I love it. The public library where I work hopes to begin once again offering e-books to the public. Like you, RainyB, I have really taken advantage of the free classic and 'Free Friday' offers.

message 9: by Ron (new)

Ron | 24 comments I bought my wife a Fire some time back, then broke down and bought myself a Touch a month back. I found too many 'megapacks' from public domain authors with things I just could not find in print. I bought one set of every story Lovecraft worked on (including collaborations) save two...I think it cost a total of 2.99$. I'd been trying to find some of those stories for years. I would have paid that much for 'The Diary of Alonzo Typer' alone. Same thing with Ambrose Bierce, Clark Ashton Smith, Robert E. Howard, etc. For the same price as the Lovecraft set I got 200+ (whatever that means) Bierce and equally staggering numbers of other writers. I've yet to take it to the library and try out the lending system there yet, though. I'm temporarily unable to drive (nothing legal...a little bad health...getting over it). Looking forward to trying that out. My wife would have no problem taking me if I asked her, but...I'm enough of a pain in the butt already.

message 10: by J (new)

J (blkdoggy) Love my Kindle, find it so convenient. I now download books from the library so I don't have to go there physically anymore (find that to be a great time saver).
Also go online through Amazon and smash words finding either freebies or books for 0.99 cents or $2.99 . I do have to control myself though I currently have about 30 something books to read and counting. Only issue I have with Kindle ( I have the old BW one) is reading in the eves or low light. In the eve I use my Ipad, it's from work but I downloaded the App and use it in the eves.

Ron, I am not able to drive right now either. Does your library has an online checkout program? I know my library allows us to check out ebooks online.

message 12: by Ron (new)

Ron | 24 comments Well, the thing is that I just moved, and didn't know about checking them out online. I still have my card from the old library. I'll look into it, thanks!

No problem. Hope that works out for you!

message 14: by Ron (new)

Ron | 24 comments Heh!!!!! Lady Danielle! I just accidentally clicked your profile and saw you are from Round Rock. At this moment, I happen to be wearing an Express T-shirt. (From back when they were a decent All-American National League Franchise, of course.) My wife and I used to live in San Marcos.

Haha. Small world indeed!