Seasonal Reads discussion

Halloween/Fall

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nicole (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Nicole | 5 comments Mod
Do you have any favorite books that you like to read around Halloween, and/or during the Fall season?

message 2: by Chris (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Chris M. | 1 comments Pretty much anything by Poe. Cask of Amantillado scared me to death as a kid and it's still pretty scary. I find that as I age, I also find more in the poems that creep me out.

message 3: by Bibliosaurus (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:22PM) (new)

Bibliosaurus | 3 comments I just finished reading The Shining. I have seen the movie so I didn't think it would be nearly as creepy and unnerving as it was.
Definitely a great read for a dark and stormy night!

message 4: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:22PM) (new)

Tiffany | 4 comments I am reading The Shining right now. I am about 1/4 of the way through it. I am also reading Cujo (do we see the Stephen King/Halloween connection?) and Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde.

message 5: by Nicole (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:23PM) (new)

Nicole | 5 comments Mod
great suggestions!

message 6: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

Tiffany | 4 comments My students are about to read the poem The ErlKing today and it is very spooky. You can easily find a copy on the internet. A creepy little must read.

message 7: by Bibliosaurus (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:26PM) (new)

Bibliosaurus | 3 comments Tiffany-
You are right it is quite spooky. I read that it has been set to music several times. It would be interesting to hear how the music conveys the supernatural aspects of the poem.

message 8: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:26PM) (new)

Tiffany | 4 comments It is quite eerie. We listened to the German version and the Englisg version. My classes agreed that the German version was much creepier. In fact, we listened to it first and I didn't tell my students what it was about, I just played it for them. They had to them write a short paragraph of what they thought was happening. No surprise that none of the guesses expressed happy thoughts. You can hear a small clip on iTunes if you want to hear it.

message 9: by Bibliosaurus (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:27PM) (new)

Bibliosaurus | 3 comments Thanks! I'll be sure to check it out.

message 10: by Crazy Uncle Ryan (last edited Oct 16, 2008 10:24AM) (new)

Crazy Uncle Ryan (crazyuncleryan) | 4 comments OK, so I know it’s been almost a year since anyone has posted on this discussion but hey, Halloween time is back again. So, my recommendations. If you want to understand more about the origins of Halloween I would recommend Halloween: From Pagan Ritual to Party Night. Another book I just read the other day was The Halloween Tree. That was just a fun little story about some boys on Halloween night. On Listopia there is a list of "Best Halloween Books." That has some good ideas too. Happy Halloween!

message 11: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 4 comments I just read The Mist by Stephen King. It was actually a short story, but they released it as a stand alone book when the movie came out. Creepy, but I really need scarier for a Halloween read!

message 12: by Diane (new)

Diane  (dianedj) I'm reading the Secret Life of Bees and think I should toss it aside and read something horrific for Halloween!

message 13: by Nicole (last edited Oct 28, 2008 11:27AM) (new)

Nicole | 5 comments Mod
I just started The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Stories. This isn't necessarily scary but it has a certain Halloween feel to it. I should really read a Stephen King though.

message 14: by Robbie (new)

Robbie Bashore I just read Frankenstein and Dracula. I highly recommend Dracula. Frankenstein...not so much.

message 15: by Crazy Uncle Ryan (new)

Crazy Uncle Ryan (crazyuncleryan) | 4 comments HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYBODY!!!

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi everyone!

I just wanted to post this to say I've started a new Halloween group at Goodreads.com. It's a halloween/hoor book-centric group obviously but I want to expand it to discuss all aspects of Halloween including holiday RECIPES!!!

The group: http://www.goodreads.com/group/show/2...

My personal page: http://www.goodreads.com/user/show/17...

Hope to see you all there.

message 17: by M. (last edited Jul 29, 2012 07:07PM) (new)

M. Haas (catulathecat) | 1 comments For adults who like suspense/ southern Gothic "A Good and Happy Child" by Justin Evans is really good. I also have to go with
Catula: The Misadventures of Dracula's Cat

message 18: by Samantha (new)

Samantha (thehappyhousewive) I don't know if this group does group reads or not, but was wondering if anyone would be interested in joining me for the month of October to read The Woman in Black by Susan Hill.

message 19: by Kathy (new)

Kathy (kjspookie) | 1 comments Samantha could me in! Sounds like a good book!

Samantha wrote: "I don't know if this group does group reads or not, but was wondering if anyone would be interested in joining me for the month of October to read The Woman in Black by Susan Hill."

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Ard (lisaa) | 1 comments Hi,
I'm planning a series of blog posts featuring Halloween book reviews. Do you have any recommendations for children's books (picture, middle grade, young adult)? I'll check out some of the titles listed in this chain.

This is all to highlight Halloween books including my new middle-grade novel (ages 9-12) Saving Halloween by Lisa Ard . It won a 2012 Kay Snow Award and there is a goodreads giveaway open through 9/20. If you would be so kind to check it out, I'd appreciate it! Adding it to your to-read list or reviewing helps spread the word. Thank you!

message 21: by Beth (new)

Beth | 1 comments Hello all, I'm new to the group. I am in the middle of "What Hides Within" by Jason Parent and it is pretty twisted/creepy. I just thought I'd share that little tidbit with others looking to get into the Halloween mood!

message 22: by JenMarie (new)

JenMarie (jenmarie2000) | 1 comments Bibliosaurus wrote: "I just finished reading The Shining. I have seen the movie so I didn't think it would be nearly as creepy and unnerving as it was.
Definitely a great read for a dark and stormy night!
"
Have you started reading Doctor Sleep? It is supposedly where 'The Shining' left off.

message 23: by Christy (new)

Christy (booksrule11) | 1 comments The Haunting of Hill House, by Shirley Jackson. And truth be told, any of her works would be sufficient.

message 24: by Ali (new)

Ali Mohr (twistedgypsy) | 1 comments House of the Seven Gables is one of my favorites to read while the leaves turn.

message 25: by Cathy (new)

Cathy Spencer (cm_spencer) | 1 comments Town Haunts (An Anna Nolan Mystery, #2) by Cathy Spencer Town Haunts
For those who find horror stories to gruesome, check out "Town Haunts," my mystery with a dash of romance.

message 26: by Dawn (new)

Dawn (dawnoftimebc) | 1 comments I always try to read seasonal horror/thriller books. This month so far I've read The Haunting of Hill House, Death makes a holiday: a Cultural history of Halloween, Speaks the Nightbird, and a Night in Lonesome October. I have just started Hallowe'en Party by Agatha Christie. I have made a shelf on my profile of all the Halloween themed books I could find listed on goodreads and amazon searches. (very strick on this particular shelf, they have to be specifically about Halloween or take place on Halloween, i.e. no Frankenstein or Dracula) Feel free to peruse them ;)