Paranormal Romance & Urban Fantasy discussion

General Discussion > Book swap

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Dana: I have a post somewhere on here about swapping. TBR pile swapping or straight swapping.

some sites I like (ranked best to least according to books rec'ed the fastest)

paperbackswap.com
bookmooch.com
swaptree.com
frugalreader.com
switchplanet.com

Alot of times memebers post outside of groups for hard to get books, so thier buddies get first dibs. Or just send them a PM. So its good to have a few buddies on your list. Check out the forums, search your favorite genres to see what games or fun swaps they might be doing.

Otherwise most swap sites are a book for point swap. You can earn points by sending swaps or buying credits. PBS lets you trade credits between thier other sites (CD's and DVD's swaps). Personal swaps are good to do as well. Just ask if someone wants to do one. How this helps.
=),
Kenjii

message 2: by Annette (new)

Annette | 23 comments I buy from the use book store and swap/trade with my mom and sister - and a few friends. But generally I read too fast for it to benefit me.
I've also learned the keepers only go to a choosen few because some books don't come back in the same condition.
I've just know this is my play money and I ah well I BUDGET for it.
Annette

message 3: by new_user (new)

new_user | 1389 comments Dana, here's the link to Kenjii's swap topic, if you're interested.

http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/6...

message 4: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Rose (amandarose) | 10 comments i personally think bookmooch sucks. I gave away sooo many books and got back maybe 3 i wanted. they never have any books that I want. just throwing that out there lol sorry.

message 5: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

Pamela (foxglovewitch) | 614 comments Mod
I'm getting to the point where I'm frustrated with Bookmooch. I've got about 11 points, but 9 times out of ten, when I get a notification that a wishlist book is available, I can't mooch it. It's reserved for someone else. Good grief, if it's reserved, don't TELL me that it's available! Argh.

message 6: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Rose (amandarose) | 10 comments haha exactly!!!! now i have 5 points left and i feel like i gave away such great books and have nothing in return... once i use these points i will never use bookmooch again!!!!

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I'd rather do it this way. Gather friends. Tell them (messages email whatever) when you have a book to swap and use swap sites as a middle man. That way you can print tracking and postage to keep from losing books and having to run to the PO. I know its frustrating using the "lesser" sites. Maybe send a complaint to the site owners and they can improve. I have gotten many more swaps thru email/messages from friends>swap sites method than just the swap site alone. I even made a group! And its paying off. Sorry yall are having such probs.
=),
Kenjii

message 8: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Rose (amandarose) | 10 comments YEAH ME TOO!! i just dont know many people that read. oh that's soo terrible for me to say.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic I put together a swap group of my own for that sole purpose.
a/ so that my friends could all go to one place if they are really interested in swapping and swap.
b/ put together a list of all the swap sites i know and let people choose where they'd like to swap.

Its working so far. I got a WL book in like a day!
=)
Kenjii

my swap group:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheSizz...

Unapologetic_Bookaholic PS If your my BM and want to send your ID my way my ID is Daalmonette

message 11: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

I'm thegypsypoet on BM, if anyone wants to friend. :)

message 12: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 2 comments I'm using the paperbackswap website, but I have to say that I haven't found too many books on there to swap. I have a bunch that I haven't listed just for the sole purpose of not wanting to give my books away. I have a TON of books that I either haven't read yet or am planning on re-reading. If anyone wants to swap with me and then we can return the books to each other, I am willing to look to see if I have any books that anyone is interested in!

Unapologetic_Bookaholic http://groups.yahoo.com/group/TheSizz...

At my group you set the kind of swap you want. We use swap sites like PBS as well. We do romance, erotica, PNR, non-romance swaps you name it!

I added the option of doing trade swaps and RR swaps so that you can get your books back. Its all there. Check it out=-)

message 14: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 9 comments i just joined the bookmooch site (username motoredxheart), i'm hesitant considering the comments here but i've never seen a swap site and thought i might give it a go. sounds like a genius idea.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic www.paperbackswap.com is one of the better sites, for me anyway. u list ONLY what you plan to swap that day, week, month or u'll get flooded with requests.

i'll buddy u there if u decide to join. I also run a yahoo swap group with a list of other group.

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

I am a greedy person... I hate to give up my books. So sites like this don't really work for me because I hate to swap... I would rather pay someone for a used book than trade one of mine.

Unapologetic_Bookaholic Samantha: I don't mind trading b/c for every trade I get another book I REALLY want. Plus, there aren't many keepers for me. On ce I record that I have read it. I don't mind passing it =)

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Jan 06, 2009 11:19PM) (new)

PaperBackSwap has alot of members, large inventory, and an efficient, user friendly website. If you want high demand books, they will probably be wish listed and you will have to wait on availability.

I will post a warning, PBS has a few rules (they HATE off-site trading & and are rabid regarding 1 book = 1 credit) the membership includes a very active group of Rules Nazis who will chew on your ass like playground bullies if they think you might be breaking their precious rules.

Someone recently recommended FrugalReader...anyone have any information?

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Lesley, how's the Bookmooch experience? So long as you mind the rules, PaperBackSwap really is excellent. I looked at another swap site one time, but the selection was muy disappointing.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Yikes, advising new members to avoid the disucssion threads at PBS. Unlike goodreads, they have no mods so the mean people can get really nasty *reeling from the vitriol & sheer bitchiness*

message 21: by Pamela, Moderatrix (new)

My bookmooch experience has gone down sharply ever since they implemented this feature that lets you reserve books, either for a specific person or people you've listed as a friend. Out of twenty wishlist notifications I've gotten, one has been actually available to me.

I'm thinking about donating my points to a charity and getting off of that site. If I can't get any books, what's the point?

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Fangirl, I can see how the new feature could be frustrating. I've noticed a slowdown of high demand books being offered at PBS, the Wish Lists are moving slower than previous. Don't know if people are buying less because of the economy, or swapping elsewhere for more value.

message 23: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer | 2 comments I use Bookins, and have been very happy so far. I have often gone on there to find a book when the first in a series hasn't been available from Amazon, or to save money. You pay $4.49 per book, but you pay nothing when you send a book out to someone else. You just print off pre-addressed postage from the computer. You can do a search for books that are available right now, or reserve them to be mailed out when they are available. Of course, they won't always have exactly what you want, and that's why it's always good to use more than one site. Consider trying them out. The more users, the more books available! Here's the link if you're interested: Bookins

message 24: by Ann aka Iftcan (new)

Ann aka Iftcan (iftcan) | 2659 comments Mod
I too use PBS. So far, i haven't gotten too many that I personally want. But I have a daughter and grandkids that keep stealing my credits there. :o)

I'm Ghostdancer there (aka A. G. Boggs) If anyone from this group wants to friend me, be sure to say that you are from this group. Unless I know who you are, I won't agree to the friending.