The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Have you ever been so lost in a book that...

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

JG (Introverted Reader) Have you ever been so lost in a book that you do something that makes no sense in real life but makes perfect sense in context with the book you're reading? I'm not explaining this very well, so let me give you the quote from The Thirteenth Tale that made me curious.

"I never read without making sure I am in a secure position. I have been like this ever since the age of seven when, sitting on a high wall and reading The Water Babies, I was so seduced by the descriptions of underwater life that I unconsciously relaxed my muscles. Instead of being held buoyant by the water that so vividly surrounded me in my mind, I plummeted to the ground and knocked myself out. I can still feel the scar under my fringe now. Reading can be dangerous."

message 2: by JG (Introverted Reader) (last edited Oct 24, 2008 11:16AM) (new)

JG (Introverted Reader) I can't think of anything too weird. While reading Twilight, I did thank my husband for bringing me lasagna because that's what Bella was eating, but I was really being handed a bowl of popcorn.

Also, I read a lot in my downtime at work. I don't remember what I was reading, but it was something set in the wintertime. I looked up and was surprised to see a bicycle cop come into the ER wearing a polo shirt and shorts. "Wow, he must be really cold," I thought. A minute later I realized it was a hot night in May.

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments Wow. I don't think I have ever done that. I can be so absorbed I'll forget to eat and never go to bed. Wizard and Glass comes to mind. I got home from school, sat down to read and was surprised when about 8 hours later it was dark and, well 8 hours later. I had missed dinner time and had to go to school in the morning, but I wasn't tired so I just kept reading...

Petra: all work & no play makes you poor.On hiatus (petra-x) In school I was once reading whilst walking and I walked into a lamp post and hit my nose bad enough to make it bleed. I felt really stupid.

message 5: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 314 comments Petra-

OMGosh! Reading is dangerous!

message 6: by Maria (new)

Maria (minks05) | 481 comments i've used words that are unique to a story, such as words from Harry Potter.

i've also commented on something, while thinking about what i'd read, mistaking the story and the events/people in it for real life. this really throws my husband, and he looks at me like i'm super goofy when i do this. fortunately, it isn't often!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

I have never done that with a book but I have done some strange things.

message 8: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10124 comments Mod
Emilee,,,, do tell.....

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments Lol, I used to read audio books at work. And I would laugh or cry and everyone would think I was nuts! Usually I would laugh. luckily. So it was easy to explain. But when I cried. Lucky no one noticed. Cause I would bawl and try to keep working. Couldn't stop me. Never worked well, either way.
^^;

message 10: by Liz M (new)

Liz M Petra, you're not the only one:

"I'm equally sure, however, that I won't walk into a lamp-post while reading {The Line of Beauty}, like I did with Presumed Innocent all those years ago; you don't walk into lamp-posts when you're reading literary novels, do you?"

-Nick Hornby, The Polysyllabic Spree

message 11: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Abigail, you made me wonder for myself now... yesterday Iw as reading Along came Dylan on the airplane and it constantly made me laugh...I wonder if someone noticed...

message 12: by Angelica (new)

Angelica (angelica221) I like the horror genre. A kid had recommended the Cirque du Freak series to me. I was reading the first one. My husband had to run an errand in the store and I opted to stay in the car so I could continue reading the book. He locked the doors and was gone for awhile. When he came back, I was so engrossed, that when he unlocked the car door, I jumped so high that I hit my head on the car roof.

It kind of happened with Dracula too. But instead my husband walked into the room, asked me a question and once again I jumped inches off my seat. Luckily I was in a house, not a car that time. I love books that get me so engrossed like that! They are rare for me.

message 13: by rebecca j (new)

rebecca j (technophobe) | 6029 comments I can empathize with the spooky books giving the creeps! I try not to read anything too scary on the weekends when I'm home alone, because then I hear every little sound in the house, and have actually ended up sleeping with the lights on before.
I do tend to get so engrossed that I'm unaware of other things. This was especially annoying for my Mom when I was young, because she would ask me to watch something on the stove, and I'd forget! We had many evenings with the smell of burnt beans in the air, and I even boiled dry some eggs, and they exploded all over the kitchen.
I also tend to carry words from the books into my everyday language, and people just look at me like I'm weird. If I read an English novel and then use one of their terms that we don't use, for example.

message 14: by Mary (new)

Mary Allison & I must be kindred spirits. I use post its and tab dialog or descriptions I like. It helps to keep the characters and setting in place, and gives me ideas for my own writing.
Mary

JG (Introverted Reader) I've done a lot of these same things, now that I think about it! I was permanently relieved from cooking duty the first time my husband caught me reading while idly stirring whatever was burning on the stove. Not that I mind. I've never enjoyed cooking.

I frequently laugh out loud when I'm reading. A few times I've laughed until I cried. Luckily I've always been at home or alone in the office when that's happened.

I do like scary stories, but if it gets too scary, I get creeped out. I've never had to sleep with the lights on, but I'll be in the shower, frequently peeking out from behind the shower curtain to make sure that nothing or no one is sneaking in under the noise of the water running.

I can't believe I'm admitting that.

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments It isn't a dream as I wasn't asleep, I'd just closed my eyes and was still conscious. But... I had no control.

Fiona, I totally understand what you're saying. I do that too if I'm really engrossed in whatever I am reading and then attempt to go to sleep.

message 17: by rebecca j (new)

rebecca j (technophobe) | 6029 comments Fiona, I don't do that with books, but I have auditory flashbacks in my head when I'm trying to go to sleep after a day working in the toddler classroom. Whichever child was making the most repetitive noise, I would "hear" it when I closed my eyes. Made it very hard to get to sleep!

message 18: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Last week i wasn't reading but while walking in edinburgh my boyfriend kept saying to stop thinking about my books(he bought me three books that day for my birthday friday). I watched him with a look of 'how did you know'. It went on for several times ad I don't understand hoe he could know I was thinking about them. How they would be, what would happen, ...

message 19: by Marsha (new)

Marsha I have the time travel experience as well... books give me my most frequent "flow" experience.

I know I'm enjoying a book when hours pass before I come back to the world.

I also tend to become emotionally in tune with the book I am reading if it has grabbed me. I love a book that can make me feel something.