Chicks On Lit discussion

Good Book for Plane Trip...

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristen120378) I'm flying to Richmond, VA in a few weeks and I need a recommendation for a book on the plane. I have a long layover both ways and would like to have something to really sink my teeth into. Paperback, small, light...

Any suggestions?

message 2: by Holli (last edited Oct 24, 2008 10:30AM) (new)

Holli I think The Myth of You and Me would be good for that..........you need a nice long one huh? :)

I read For The May Queen on my California trip recently and really enjoyed it. Its by one of our members Kate Evans......

message 3: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristen120378) Cool, thanks Holli, I'll look both of those up. I won't be able to read when I'm there, visiting a friend in Williamsburg, but I need something to keep me occupied in the airports.

See you tomorrow!

message 4: by April (new)

April (contusions96) Definitely choose something small and light. I would also recommend something that's an easy read. I find it difficult to read something that requires a lot of thought while traveling. Planes and airports are so loud and busy.

message 5: by Robyn (new)

Robyn (roxy_nj) | 354 comments Holli, was The Myth of You & Me good? Its on my list and I am real interested in the story.

message 6: by Andrea (new)

Andrea (andreag) | 74 comments Just one book? I can't get on airplane without 3 or 4. I have a pathological fear of being stuck in an airport at 6 pm on a Sunday evening (just after tha last newstand closes) with nothing to read. I bought an extra large travel purse - just for it's book carrying capacity.

I like a good mystery for a plane ride, absorbing, distracting, not too emotionally charged (no tear jerkers), and something that's easy to get back to if you put it down for a couple of days.

message 7: by Holli (new)

Holli It was REALLY good Roxy...I loved it :) Laura (from CoL) mailed it to me. A brand new copy just for me!! Sweet huh?

message 8: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (cyndil62) | 1774 comments A light, easy read that I enjoyed is Savannah Blues by Mary Kay Andrews. It's a kinda mystery but the heroine in the book named 'Weezie' is so funny! I think you would enjoy it.

message 9: by Emily (new)

Emily (ejfalke) | 576 comments (Andrea, I am SO with you! I took three on my last trip, and got through two and a half before I got home...)

I would recommend Einstein's Dreams by Alan Lightman. It's fantastic. It took me about three hours to read - perfect for a plane trip.

message 10: by Brigitte (new)

Brigitte Roxy,
I know you asked Holli, but I also really enjoyed The Myth of You and Me and would highly recommend it.

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments Yeah, The Myth of You & Me really was good. Spoke to me, yes it did! But I couldn't finish her first book. I hope she writes a third.

message 12: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments We are just whacko book readers here at GR. It's like Linus - we have security BOOKS! The hell with blankets!!

message 13: by Lynlee4 (last edited Oct 25, 2008 02:50PM) (new)

Lynlee4 | 99 comments You hit the nail on the head, Laura!! Not the first time I've been called whacko.

Kristen - After looking at your bookshelves, I think you might also like The Little Lady Agency. It's not a brain-buster or tear-jerker but a nice, fun, chick-lit read. If you're a quick reader, bring the sequel: Little Lady, Big Apple, it's a good one too.

Have a great trip!

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) | 1445 comments That looks good Lynlee! Is The Little Lady Agency and the Prince different from the first title you mentioned? It's weird, but my library only seems to have "...and the Prince" and the Big Apple one.

message 15: by Kristen (new)

Kristen (kristen120378) Thank you all for the great recommendations. I put the Lady series on my list and when I go to Half Price books next weekend I'll get a few (there are 4 now I think!).

It's great to be able to get all kinds of opinions on books!

message 16: by Kathy (new)

Kathy  (readr4ever) | 111 comments Andrea, I have the same pathological fear. I bring a carry-on bag mainly for my books. I like mysteries, too, for plane rides.