Vampire Book Club discussion

Blood Rights (House of Comarré, #1)
This topic is about Blood Rights
Group Read > Group Read: BLOOD RIGHTS (Spoilers!)

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Chelsea (last edited Oct 26, 2011 05:12PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Chelsea (vampirebookclub) | 76 comments Mod
This thread is to talk about the October group read, Blood Rights by Kristen Painter. If you haven't read the book, be warned, this thread will talk about everything and spoilers are both allowed and encouraged.

Welcome to the Blood Rights group read chat! While it’s our first time chatting on Goodreads, we’ll keep a similar format. The main discussion points are below, but feel free to ask your own questions and respond to others. I’ll be in spurring things along all hour.

BLOOD RIGHTS DISCUSSION

1. The Comarré. What did you think of this special version of humans? Did you like the twist about their true role (lying in wait to protect humans)?

2. Chrysabelle needs needs Mal’s saliva to maintain her long life, strength, etc. This relationship between Comarré and patron makes for key plot points. Both these outsiders used the relationship differently.

Did you like their work-around of kissing? Do you think Mal will ever be willing to bite Chrysabelle?

3. Chrysabelle isn’t as demure as we’re led to believe. Did you like that she was revealed to be a skilled fighter and tough?

4. The sexual tension in this one is high, especially during the sparring scene between Mal and Chrysabelle. I compared it to Ethan Sullivan and Merit from the Chicagoland Vampires series in my review. Did you enjoy having the tension bubbling under the main plot, or would you have preferred straight urban fantasy? (I loved this. I’m of the mind Kristen Painter is going to make us work for it, but when those two finally connect, it’ll be explosive.)

5. Tatiana. Did you appreciate being given her point-of-view and being inside on the crazy? And did you see her relation to Mal coming? (I didn’t.)

Your turn. What did you love? What did you question? Will you keep reading the series?

Nicole (kyatty2007) | 2 comments I finished this one about a month or so ago. I enjoyed the fresh take on vampires. However, I felt there was a lack of world building in regards to who and what the comarre are. Like, why were they bred...all those secrets that were alluded to. I want the answers *G*. Am so hoping book 2 out in a couple weeks answers this!

I think we're going to get more and more into the Comarré world as the series progresses. There was a big reveal about their true goal at the end of BLOOD RIGHTS, so I expect Painter will delve into the truth of their origins in the next book. *fingers crossed*

message 4: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy A | 27 comments I really liked this book and I too felt like there was more I wanted to know. I felt like Kristen Painter did a good job of revealing little details at a time throughout the course of the book instead of one big info drop and I understand that you can't reveal everything in one book either otherwise the series might not be something readers want to continue on with. I look forward to finding out more secrets in the next books. I like that they are basically being consecutively released.

I also loved the way Painter wrote the tension between Mal and Chrysabelle and I'm interested to see where they pick things back up after the ending of Blood Rights.

Lacy (gapeachy) | 5 comments I really enjoyed this book. I always enjoy a read where the female lead isn't completely helpless. I was also pleasantly surprised to find that the next two books are coming out so quickly. Waiting for the next book in a series kills me!

Carol | 9 comments Was anyone as shocked as I was that the evil vampire was Mal's wife? Maybe I was being dense, because looking back, there were clues. But wow....I didn't see that coming.

Carol wrote: "Was anyone as shocked as I was that the evil vampire was Mal's wife? Maybe I was being dense, because looking back, there were clues. But wow....I didn't see that coming."

Nope. I was completely floored, too. Completely.

Lacy (gapeachy) | 5 comments I recommended this book to a friend of mine that always insists I tell her the plot before she starts reading. This time, I wouldn't tell her anything. I told her she would never guess who actually killed Chrysabelle's patron and she wouldn't be able to guess what the deal was with the evil vampire.

Valerie (curlytopnyc) | 1 comments I loved this book! I love that there is a woman who is strong and can protect herself. I was shocked to learn that the evil vampire was Mal's wife!

Carol | 9 comments 1. The twist that the Comarre's true roll was to protect humans is what made this book original. I am curious as to how this will progress now that vampires aren't going to be kept in secrecy.

2. Loved Chrys and Mal's work around for saliva. I don't think he will bite her willingly until his curse is lifted. He may not be able to stop himself, though. It is his nature.

3. I like my UF heroines to be able to defend themselves, so yes, I was happy to learn she wasn't this privledged pet with no skillz :-)

4. The tension was great and I am so happy there wasn't a love at first sight thing going on and they just immediately had sex. The progression in their relationship is what I am most looking forward to.

5. Tatiana is nuts. The relation between her and Mal shocked me. She is evil. However, she is also in grief over her child and irrationally blames Mal for her death, even though Mal made the right choice. Obviously the loss of her baby is still very fresh as a few times she wound mention her human pregnancy in her inner dialogue. Which is totally why I should have foreseen that Mal was her husband! But, I didn't....

Carol wrote: "...Obviously the loss of her baby is still very fresh as a few times she wound mention her human pregnancy in her inner dialogue. Which is totally why I should have foreseen that Mal was her husband! But, I didn't.... "

I didn't see it coming at all either. Just kept thinking she was batshit crazy, and kind of loving that.

Carol | 9 comments I was also very sad to see Fi "die". I really hope that isn't permanent.

Carol wrote: "I was also very sad to see Fi "die". I really hope that isn't permanent."

Fi was a great character, and her interaction gave Mal more depth. I'm curious to see what Painter may do there.

message 14: by Lacy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lacy (gapeachy) | 5 comments Carol wrote: "I was also very sad to see Fi "die". I really hope that isn't permanent."

I agree. I hope she's not truely dead. I didn't see that coming either. What was it about this book that blinded all of us as to what was going to happen? I can usually see these things ahead of time.

Carol | 9 comments I hope she comes back. I mean, she was really already dead, though maybe Chrysabelle's blood did bring her back to life. Mal was really devastated by her death. She has been such a constant presence for him, and she probably really helped him fight insanity with all the voices.

@Lacy - I'm usually one who can predict the plot, too, but not here. I think it's proof that Kristen Painter is sneaky.

message 17: by Lacy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lacy (gapeachy) | 5 comments Chelsea [Vampire Book Club] wrote: "@Lacy - I'm usually one who can predict the plot, too, but not here. I think it's proof that Kristen Painter is sneaky."

That worries me a little bit. I'm afraid she's going to be ruthless, like Richelle Mead.

Haha. Richelle isn't REALLY cruel until the third book (Every. Freaking. Time.). But, yes, I have that same gut feeling that Kristen isn't going to pull punches either.

Amanda (racer_reader) | 1 comments The Comarré- I thought they were really interesting. I would like to see more of their history in the next two books.
Cannot wait to see more Mal and Chrysabelle! I think the situation these two are put in is very interesting. Poor Mal...
I liked that Chrysabelle is a fighter and I like her grudging acceptance of how much her life has changed. She isn't afriad of challenges but still tries to be respectful of the Comarre lifestyle.
I guessed that Tatiana was his wife but only after there were several references to her child in her human life. Loved that she is WAY crazy, will be interested to see what she tries next.

I really am excited to read the next two, very glad they are monthly releases instead of six month. I think Painted has built a very interesting world that we still have alot to learn about!

message 20: by Mimi (new) - rated it 4 stars

Mimi (dnidprncss) | 1 comments I won't lie, by about the last third of the book I had figured out that Tatiana was connected to Mal based on the clues. I still liked reading the reveal, and I love the idea of the comarre. I like the way that they have the characters' lives all intertwining. I would NEVER have guessed about the killer though, that one caught me by surprise I'm pleased to say. I'm reading the second book now and like it so far, no spoilers though ;)

message 21: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy A | 27 comments I just started reading the second book Flesh and Blood. I'm not even that far in and already I love being back in this world again.

I know, I sank back in as soon as I started Flesh and Blood, too, Amy!

Carol | 9 comments We need a Flesh and Blood spoiler thread :-)