The Next Best Book Club discussion

Other Novels To Discuss > Lolita fans -spoilers!

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Danica (new)

Danica | 8 comments I have seen this novel listed all over this website as classic and what not. I read it over the summer on my own accord. I thought that it was okay, but what makes this book classic?
I liked how it kind of brought out the "monster" in us all in a way. And I thought the story line was riveting (pretty unbelievable). But there were so many spots where the plot was hard to keep track of (so many run-on sentences I could hardly keep up) and characters I couldn't keep track of. And was there supposed to be some kind of moral or metaphor anything in the end?

message 2: by Sherry (new)

Sherry This book is definitely a must read for me. I'm interested(sorry,to tame of word,but it's all I could come up with)in what Nabokov does with this book and this character. As despicable and apalling as this character is,how does Nabokov manage to write a book about such a man and have it become a classic? I need to read and find out how he's managed this amazing feat.

I imagine it will have much to do with Nabokov's ingenius way with narrative and I'm looking forward to finding out!

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments No, you end up feeling sorry for Humbert. Because he is so odd and lonely.

Honestly, I liked the book. I thought it was funny in that dark humor way and a lesson in any other way. "If you have odd sexual preferences, hide them, because you can get screwed otherwise" kind of way.

I identified in the "otherwise" kind of way, but sympathiezed in the odd kind of way. TMI I'm sure, but I still consider Lolita a classic because people need to understand that there are other ways out there.

message 4: by Danica (new)

Danica | 8 comments I agree with you Abigail, but I can't see how that makes it a classic.
I felt a little sorry for Humbert, not much.

Maybe it was just me who thinks the writing was so hard to get into. You would have something real going on and then one of his fantasies in the same sentence. It was so hard to keep up with, because some of the real stuff could easily have just been a fantasy.

message 5: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (spedkristie) I listened to it on audio.....I loved the book. I only picked it up because of "Reading Lolita in Tehran"

Abigail (42stitches) | 360 comments Part of what make sit classic is the style I think. It is very different from anything else I've ever read.

Lol at Kristie: I picked up Reading Lolita because it came out shortly after (I think a year or 2) I had read Lolita. Then I had to go read a bunch of other classics I had obviously missed. Hehe, like I needed an excuse.
^^;

message 7: by Donitello (new)

Donitello I found Nabokov's writing to be ethereal -- along the lines of Annie Proulx's inspired word-craft. I think that's what makes it a classic. And the story, of course, was rivetingly horrendous. Confronting the monster within by getting inside a pedophile's head... it's not an opportunity that comes along every day, surely.

message 8: by 412 (new)

412 | 15 comments I'm about two-thirds into the book, and so far thought that this novel is only about the road trips our dear loli and pedobear (pardon the choice of words) took. I'm not that keen into the subtler aspects though.

Well, shall i see them for myself then? :D