Literature & Film discussion

1 view
Bunuel's Literary Sources

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Kimley | 201 comments Mod
Thanks to a friend here on Goodreads, I've just learned about the sources for Diary of a Chambermaid (by Octave Mirbeau) and Belle de Jour (by Joseph Kessel). Both have recently been reissued in English.

What do any of you know about Bunuel's literary sources. I'm very curious to read these books and am wondering what any of you who have read them think.

message 2: by brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

brian   i think i mentioned it you in another thread, kimley, but when i was in college, they ran a bunuel retro at the Anthology. it was heaven. five days a week after class, i'd take the 6 train down there and catch another bunuel. amazing. two of 'em i saw were The Most Dangerous Game and Wuthering Heights. both come from great literary sources. and i seem to remember bunuel doing Robinson Crusoe but didn't see it back then and couldn't find it on IMDB. am i imagining this? anyone? tosh?

message 3: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Yeah, I remember you mentioning this before. Actually Bunuel almost seems too mainstream for Anthology!

And Brian, why the hell did you leave NYC??? The film programs in New York kick L.A.'s ass!

But back to Bunuel... I didn't know he did a version of Wutherhing Heights! I definitely need to see that.

Clearly another director with interesting literary sources!

I'm looking forward to what Tosh will have to add here. He'll definitely know whether or not you're hallucinating the Robinson Crusoe flick.

message 4: by brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

brian   tosh is gonna go all crazyman about carriere, bunuel's sometime screenwriter, and also a novelist. i'll let him tackle that...

as for me... i'm a longtime nyc and l.a. resident (as is marshall) and have to say... nyc film programming kinda kicks l.a.'s ass. l.a. definitely has some good shit, but nyc is consistantly more adventurous. film forum is great (they'll show retros in which they show every single movie by a particular director - i was there for the mizoguchi retro. fucking fantastic. they just don't do kinda stuff that out here) - and Anthology can't be matched. you'll see stuff there that just will not be screened here, mekas, snow, genet, warhol, connor, etc... (except at the occassional museum screening). in general, film programming sucks throughout the country, but i think nyc holds on a little stronger... but nyc vs. l.a. is such a boring cliche... sorry. just hadda stick up for kimley - our resident badass nyc bitch...

message 5: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Ooh, I knew my L.A. comment would cause someone to take umbrage...

Actually, Marshall, I grew up in L.A., lived there until I was 30, visit regularly and did pretty much get my "film education" there.

As Brian says, yeah, there's tons of stuff going on in L.A. but when I moved to NYC, I was in film nirvana. There's just so much more going on here. For hardcore film buffs this is the place to be. Not that it's perfect and I'm sure like everywhere it used to be better but it does kick L.A.'s ass in terms of scope.

I love when Tosh goes all crazyman! Can't wait!

message 6: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Stan Umbrage - ha! good one!

message 7: by Tosh (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Tosh | 68 comments Wutherhing Heights is fantastic. Book and film! Bunuel originally wanted to do this film right after his work with Dali - but couldn't get financial support.

Eventually he did the film in Mexico. And yes I believe Bunuel did do a version of Robinson Crusoe in Mexico. So this is in the 1950's.

message 8: by brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

brian   Simon in the Desert, yes, is fucking FANTASTIC.

i've always loved Illusion Travels by Streetcar - a quiet little subversive film about a bus company that goes out of business. the driver pines away, sad to say goodbye to his beloved companion of many years... he gets shitfaced in the middle of the night, breaks into the busyard, and takes the bus on a final midnight ride. this being bunuel, he picks up a gaggle of nuns, some butchers (they hang their meat on the windows) and some schoolkids.

viva la bunuel!!!

message 9: by Robert (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Robert | 111 comments Bunuel's version of "Wuthering Heights" is wonderfully over-the-top.
Louys' "The Woman and the Puppet", the inspiration for "That Obscure Object of Desire" is worth a look too.

message 10: by Tosh (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new)

Tosh | 68 comments Streetcar is a great film. Overall Bunuel's work in Mexico maybe my favortie period of his. Also I can highly recommend his memoir "My Last Sigh" Fantastic book.

message 11: by Eileen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new)

Eileen | 6 comments Speaking of Wuthering Heights, it will be playing November 2 at the LA County Museum of Art (as part of their Surrealist Film Festival):

http://www.lacma.org/programs/FilmSer...

What was that about L.A. film programs again?