The Humour Club discussion

General > Introduce Yourselves.

Comments (showing 201-250 of 1,987) (1987 new)    post a comment »

message 201: by Edward (new)

Edward Farber (edfarber) | 19 comments Melki wrote: "Welcome to the group, Ed. Congratulations on your book. You're right - it's never too late to start writing. It was interesting to see that you've rated your book a modest four stars instead of ..."

Diana wrote: "Edward wrote: "Hi, name is Ed and I guess I'm the newest newbie but probably the oldest in the group. Just turned 80 years young and have my first book out on Amazon Kindle.(It's never too late to ..."

Diana wrote: "Edward wrote: "Hi, name is Ed and I guess I'm the newest newbie but probably the oldest in the group. Just turned 80 years young and have my first book out on Amazon Kindle.(It's never too late to ..."

Thanks for the welcomes. Melki, I gave it a four hoping that someone will review it and give it a five!! Of course, there's a chance it would go in the opposite direction. No reviews yet.

message 202: by L.T. (new)

L.T. Fawkes (LTFawkes) | 18 comments Hi, Simon. A dollar fifty-six? How does someone decide to price his Kindle book at a dollar fifty-six? Oh, wait - that's the amount when translated from pounds, right?

Anyway, I guess I can spring for a dollar fifty-six. Now, where'd I leave my Kindle?

L. T.

message 203: by Bill (new)

Bill Cokas (bcokas) | 6 comments I'm Bill. Just joined the group and thought I'd introduce myself. Been writing for years, but only last week went "public" with a website: http://www.margawriterville.com/ and two ebooks:

http://www.amazon.com/Battle-Axe-eboo...

and

http://www.amazon.com/Ring-of-Fire-eb...

Looking for reviewers and looking forward to exchanging tips, etc.!

message 204: by Melki (new)

Melki | 3058 comments Mod
Hey Bill. Glad you joined us. Nice website! There are plenty of writers in this group that would be happy to exchange tips and recipes with you.

Here are the GRs links to Bill's books, if anyone wants to add them to their TBR lists:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/13...

message 205: by Ryn (last edited Mar 20, 2012 09:59AM) (new)

Ryn Hello to all. My name is Ryn. Sort of. (If you squint.) I also go by Kermit. I like eating, sleeping, and reading, and am very easily distracted by frogs and sloths.

I am a Canadian (again, only if you squint - as I appear quite Indian on the outside), so humor me when I say things like 'toque,' and 'eh.' I love BBC, Terry Pratchett, Blackadder, Douglas Adams, and Harry Potter, and am basically British twice over, on account of being Indo-Canadian.

However, I do admit I don't understand a word you lot say. On the plus side, you're fantastically funny, and Doctor Who is helping me with the lingo so I can blend in with the natives.

I'll try to keep active on here in a very normal, blended-in sort of way (i.e. I'll be the one with the pipe a deerstalker, talking excitedly about 'spanners,' 'sixth form,' and 'having a tin bath on the apples and pears'...)!

message 206: by Melki (new)

Hello Ryn! There are at least two other Canadians in this group - maybe they'll step up and say "Hello!", eh?

Can I stop squinting yet?

message 207: by Ryn (new)

Ryn Melki wrote: "Hello Ryn! There are at least two other Canadians in this group - maybe they'll step up and say "Hello!", eh?

Can I stop squinting yet?"

Yup! Deerstalker means I'm instantly recognizable - squinting is rendered obsolete.

message 208: by Melki (new)

Yeah...I was going to mention that the deerstalker thing probably isn't the best way to blend in.

message 209: by Bookworm (new)

Bookworm Smith | 684 comments *stepping up*

Hello eh? How's the weather up there...still wearin' a touque?

message 210: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Karlheim | 1 comments Hello all I am a college student and love to read :)

message 211: by Bob (new)

Bob Sinnott | 7 comments Hannah wrote: "Hello all I am a college student and love to read :)"

Hey, Hannah!

message 212: by Splinker (new)

Splinker (Goodreadssplinker) | 32 comments Bookworm wrote: "*stepping up*

Hello eh? How's the weather up there...still wearin' a touque?"

Hi Hannah. They still reading books in college?

message 213: by L.T. (new)

L.T. Fawkes (LTFawkes) | 18 comments Hi, new kids. Nice website,Bill. Clever title.

L. T.

message 214: by Ryn (new)

Ryn Bookworm wrote: "*stepping up*

Hello eh? How's the weather up there...still wearin' a touque?"

It's warm now, eh? Like, -3C and movin' up. My toque's at home! Got my Timmy's and a timbit and rootin' for the Oilers! (Was the Oilers thing a bit much?)

message 215: by Bookworm (new)

Bookworm Smith | 684 comments Yes, the Oiler thing was a bit much...perhaps if they were in the playoff race?

message 216: by Melki (new)

Sigh...you crazy Canadians...

Welcome, Hannah.

message 217: by Edward (new)

Edward Farber (edfarber) | 19 comments As a newcomer my self, happy to welcome Bob,Ryn,Bill and Hannah. To L.T.-haven't been called a kid in 70 years.

message 218: by Edward (new)

Edward Farber (edfarber) | 19 comments Forgot to welcome Paul. Welcome.

message 219: by Colin (new)

Colin Andrews (goodreadscombonnygreen) | 3 comments Hi, I'm Colin Andrews, from Devon. I'm a retired teacher an active Morris dancer, and new fiction author. My first novel, A Matter of Degree, has been described as 'Last of The Summer's Wine for 1970s students'

message 220: by Hazel (last edited Mar 22, 2012 12:28PM) (new)

Hazel | 309 comments Are you the fool or the master? I'm only basing this question on the hat,it usually signifies one of those two.

Oh yeah, hi and welcome :)

message 221: by Melki (new)

Welcome to the group, Colin. I believe you are our first Morris dancer. I'm assuming that Hazel's question about your being a fool has something to do with the folk dance, and she's not just being rude.

Here is a link to Colin's book:

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12...

message 222: by Colin (new)

Colin Andrews (goodreadscombonnygreen) | 3 comments Hazel wrote: "Are you the fool or the master? I'm only basing this question on the hat,it usually signifies one of those two.

Oh yeah, hi and welcome :)"

The master I suppose - I teach the dances. You should see my other hats!

message 223: by Ryn (new)

Ryn Bookworm wrote: "Yes, the Oiler thing was a bit much...perhaps if they were in the playoff race?"

What I know about hockey wouldn't fill a thimble. Belonging to a Mrs. Beaver (didja catch that Canadian reference there?).

I first heard about Morris dancers from Terry Pratchett. I don't think his introduction was all that effusive, but I have wanted to see one (them? it?) since then! YOUTUBE!

message 224: by Simon (new)

Simon Lipson | 19 comments L.T. wrote: "Hi, Simon. A dollar fifty-six? How does someone decide to price his Kindle book at a dollar fifty-six? Oh, wait - that's the amount when translated from pounds, right?

Anyway, I guess I can spring..."

Yep. A bargain in any currency (sorry, can't snap out of selling mode at the moment). If you get round to reading it, I hope it was worth the expense!

message 225: by Colin (new)

Colin Andrews (goodreadscombonnygreen) | 3 comments Ryn wrote: "Bookworm wrote: "Yes, the Oiler thing was a bit much...perhaps if they were in the playoff race?"

What I know about hockey wouldn't fill a thimble. Belonging to a Mrs. Beaver (didja catch that Can..."

I hadn't read any Terry Pratchett until I was doing some research on Morris Dancing in fiction. Not much I could find apart from TP, Stephen Booth, Ngaio March, Alan Blood & now myself. Love the Discworld books.
For more on Morris Dancing go to www.morrisfed.org.uk

message 226: by Gihan (new)

Gihan alhawary (gihanalhawary) | 6 comments Hi, my name is Gihan. I'm from Egypt. I'm a college student with a passion for fashion. I study English Literature. I love the classics and i enjoys great books and good music. I intend to graduate and begin fashion courses and at the same time write a novel. I do love humour but i'm not sure if i'm funny so, i hope i could develope that here. =D

message 227: by Melki (new)

Welcome to the group, Gihan, and best of luck to you in your endeavors. I wish I had your ambition and energy.

message 228: by Edward (new)

Edward Farber (edfarber) | 19 comments Hi, all. How does one go about getting their new book reviewed?Looking Back with a Smile

message 229: by Paul (new)

Paul Dale (Paul_Dale) | 12 comments Hi Gihan and Edward.

Edward, there are a few groups that have ARR sections. Take a look at groups that match your genre, spend some time there and check out the author specific areas.

message 230: by Melki (new)

I'm happy to review anything that's offered for free.
But you need to have the patience of a saint waiting for me to get around to reading it.

message 231: by Gihan (new)

Gihan alhawary (gihanalhawary) | 6 comments Melki wrote: "Welcome to the group, Gihan, and best of luck to you in your endeavors. I wish I had your ambition and energy."

everyone has an ambition, Melki. What's yours? maybe i could encourage you....

message 232: by Melki (new)

Whew! I don't know if anyone's ever asked me that.
I'll be thinkin' on that one for a while.

message 233: by Jeb (last edited Apr 01, 2012 06:23PM) (new)

Jeb Harrison (jebh) | 36 comments Melki wrote: "I think it's obvious that it's LESS than 30 hours since you've had alcohol, Bob.

Drinking age in US is 21. Larp is Live Action Role Playing (I'll let Hazel fill us in on the details.) and Fri..."

When did the drinking age in the US switch from being determined by the feds vs. the states? Why just the other day when I was 18 it was legal to drink in NY but not in VT which is right next door. When I went to college in Colorado - why it must have been just the other day - it was legal for 18 year olds to drink 3.2 beer but not regular beer. When did these laws change? Was it just the other day?

message 234: by Melki (new)

It was LITERALLY just the other day.

For as long as I can remember, Pennsylvania's drinking age was 21, but every surrounding state's was 18, so highways were clogged with inebriated teens headed home after buying booze in Maryland.

According to Wiki:
The National Minimum Drinking Age Act was passed on July 17, 1984 by the United States Congress as a mechanism whereby all states would become thereafter required to legislate the age of 21 years as a minimum age for purchasing and publicly possessing alcoholic beverages.

See - just the other day!

message 235: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Carrington | 6 comments Hi everyone,

My name is Marcia, and I currently have one humorous short story on Smashwords which I released just recently, and hope to upload some more in the future.

I like to read a bit of everything from all genres, and also love reviewing books, film history and soap operas, food and shopping.

This is a great idea for a group, and hope to speak with other members soon!

message 236: by Melki (new)

Hi Marcia. Glad you decided to join us.
I am also a big fan of food.

message 237: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Carrington | 6 comments Melki wrote: "Hi Marcia. Glad you decided to join us.
I am also a big fan of food."

Hi Melki,

Thank you for the welcome. Yes, food is a big love, especially chocolate and cakes/tortes, I admit! What are your favorites?

message 238: by Melki (new)

Cake, absolutely cake!
Probably an easier to answer question would be what foods DON'T I like.

message 239: by Gihan (new)

Gihan alhawary (gihanalhawary) | 6 comments Marcia wrote: "Hi everyone,

My name is Marcia, and I currently have one humorous short story on Smashwords which I released just recently, and hope to upload some more in the future.

I like to read a bit of eve..."

nice to meet you Marcia, we have a lot in common, that's nice!!

message 240: by Marcia (new)

Marcia Carrington | 6 comments Gihan wrote: "Marcia wrote: "Hi everyone,

I like t..."

Pleased to meet you Gihan!

message 241: by Michael (last edited Apr 05, 2012 05:10PM) (new)

Michael Clemens (mpclemens) Hi all. I'm Mike, I live in the San Francisco area, and had my impressionable young mind warped by the likes of Douglas Adams and Piers Anthony, and later in life discovered the joys of reading Wodehouse and Pratchett. I'm taking baby steps in writing my own, and no matter what I try for, I usually wind up slipping into humor. I need to just give in to the Dark Side and accept it, don't I?

Anyhow, it's a pleasure to be here.

message 242: by Renee (new)

Renee King - Hooks (LadyGG) | 1 comments To all the newbies I haven't welcomed to the Funny Farm, well - welcome to the Funny Farm! Great place with great people. All are welcome & few fed to the basement zombies ; >

message 243: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (RDouglass) | 1905 comments Mod
The funny farms seems like a reasonable place for me.

I'm Rebecca and I love Wodehouse, Douglas Adams, Charlotte MacLeod and Hank the Cowdog.

Which may explain the book I wrote. Because no matter how hard I try to write Serious Fiction my sense of humor/humour gets in the way and I crack wise.

Most people seem to be being very modest about their books, but I'll save you all some effort by giving you the title. Look for The Ninja Librarian. BTW, no badgers there, but there is a skunk. . .

message 244: by Michael (new)

Michael Clemens (mpclemens) Rebecca wrote: "Because no matter how hard I try to write Serious Fiction my sense of humor/humour gets in the way and I crack wise.

This. 100% this. One of my abortive attempts at a Scary Moody Novel wound up with a physical education teacher that was OCD about his gymnasium floor and a nun/school administrator seriously doubting her faith and general mental health...

I've given up fighting it. The rewrites I need to do on my finished drafts are going to get humor injections. If I don't do that, my brain will pop.

message 245: by Melki (new)

That reminds me - Renee? Have you fed them lately?

Welcome to the group, Michael from San Francisco and Rebecca from Skunk Corners!
It's a pleasure having you here.

message 246: by Brian (new)

Brian Talgo | 17 comments Rebecca wrote: "The funny farms seems like a reasonable place for me.

I'm Rebecca and I love Wodehouse, Douglas Adams, Charlotte MacLeod and Hank the Cowdog.

Which may explain the book I wrote. Because no matte..."

Story of my writing life …
I can (and will) turn the most serious drama into absurd humor. It is my lot in life.

message 247: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca Douglass (RDouglass) | 1905 comments Mod
Brian--most of the time, I think that ability to find humor in everything is a good thing. It gets me into trouble sometimes when leading meetings and dealing with people who are humor-challenged.

message 248: by [deleted user] (last edited Apr 13, 2012 01:01PM) (new)

Hi all. I've been a Goodreads member for, ooh, days now, and so far I've acquired one excellent friend (hi, James, if you're reading this) and spent several hours hiding behind my keyboard adding my books to my profile (which was fun - brings out the geek in me, which is never far below the surface). I thought it was time I came out of the shadows so you could all see me (cue sinister music...?)

I'm Chris, and I'm pushing 60, which probably makes me one of the older members of this group (bring on the grandad jokes, I don't mind a bit, just let me get my right specs on or I won't be able to read them). I'm a carer, househusband, writer, reader and internet geek, pretty much in that order. I mostly read fantasy and humour, and the authors who really do it for me are Tolkien and Pratchett (but there are plenty of others as well). I hope to play my part in this group, but if I suddenly fall silent it'll either be because I've had a brilliant idea for my current novel or (more likely) because there's a worrying burning smell from the kitchen.

If anyone's interested, my first comic fantasy novel 'Wizard's Brew' will be on free promotion on Kindle tomorrow (Friday 13th - good choice, Chris) and Saturday. I don't expect people to read it soon - add it to your no doubt already very long to-read lists - but if you don't read it eventually, I shall track you all down one by one and turn you into goo. Having now frightened you with the Goo Dreads (the hidden meaning of Goodreads), I shall sign off.

P.S. If you don't like that terrible pun, blame Bookworm (see #260 below). See what you made me do, Bookworm. The jokes in my book are better. Mostly.

Chris

message 249: by Melki (new)

Welcome to the group, Chris. I'm not far behind you agewise, and I had to laugh about the "right specs" remark. I stubbornly refuse to get bifocals, and am constantly switching between reading and distance glasses.

I'll be adding your book to my Kindle tomorrow. Thanks for the freebie. One of these days, I'll read and review it.

Wizard's Brew by Chris Naylor

message 250: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks, Melki. I tried varifocals, but they were the cheap kind, and I found that everything to my right and left looked a completely different shape.

Looking forward to interacting with the group.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Towing Jehovah (other topics)
Major BS: A Top Secret Mission (other topics)
More Ketchup Than Salsa - Confessions of a Tenerife Barman (other topics)
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (other topics)
Working for Heat (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jonathan Coe (other topics)
Douglas Adams (other topics)
Toby Frost (other topics)
George MacDonald Fraser (other topics)
Steve Redwood (other topics)
More...