The Lovely Bones The Lovely Bones discussion

What would your heaven look like?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 87 (87 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Eva (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Eva In the book, every person had his own heaven. I think that would be really cool.
My heaven would definitly have computer and magazines. And chocolate, my cat and a lot of books to read

message 2: by Dixie Diamond (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:39PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Dixie Diamond I thought that the idea of a personalized Heaven in this book was very clever and interesting. As someone who is not religious and did not grow up with the usual "Biblical" concept of Heaven/the afterlife, I actually found this kind of reassuring and much more accessible than the wings/halo/eternal bliss/whatever version.

Mine would have a lot of open spaces, road trips, and nice scenery.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

My heaven would be air-conditioned box seats in Hell to watch the FUN happen.

message 4: by Martha (new)

Martha Michaels Isn't interesting that we can visualize hell so much better than heaven. Story is about conflict, a place where there is no conflict, what a bore. Of course, we don't really want to be at the center of a conflict ourselves, just to watch. That's fun.

Dixie Diamond We can? I can't. Well, I guess the closest I ever got was Sartre's "No Exit" (slash Wilde's, "Hell is other people at breakfast").

Gloria In my heaven, I will be a "rock star" since I am musically challenged in this world.

Holly Actually not sure that Sebold can take credit for the idea of a "personalized" heaven. The book was published in '99... but in '98 the film "what dreams may come" had the same idea - people had personalized heavens. In that film, not only do you get your dream heaven, you can even appear to others however you like.

In any case, it's a lovely idea. my dream heaven would have perfect barefoot temperatures, waterfalls, lots of verandas and daybeds with that cool white caribbean gauze blowing in the wind... animals and friends and great coffee and beaches and crystal clear coral reefs that I could swim in without scuba gear :-) this is fun I could go on all day. Maybe a place like Rivendell from Lord of the Rings.

message 8: by Buffheart (new) - added it

Buffheart Mine would be all my friends, family, and pets, a farm, books, the ability to speak fluent Japanese, country music, soccer, and some other things I can't think of right now.

Christin I loved the idea that even in Heaven, you don't just get whatever you want- you have to grow into it (like the duplex, or the dog.) My heaven would have a million novels, 100 bars and one dance club, and I'd govern the guest list. Like the novel, I'd get to watch everything my family & friends were up to until they joined me.

Bliss my heaven would have lots of blank paper, pens (red and black), a laptop, a printer. i'd eat lots of fresh juicy fruits every day and drink lots of water too. (the last is my "growing-into" part.)

Sally I don't really understand how they are always watching earth. Sometimes it is described as below them, but other times it seems to be some kind of movie projected, and yet others she seems to be right there with them. It's distracting me from really buying it. But I like that she is so specific with the kinds of buildings in her heaven. Mine would definitely be some kind of New Orleans/Portland city-scape in which I had a sweet apartment and unlimited fresh vegetables in my fridge.

message 12: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy In my personal heaven, I really wouldn't care what the surroundings were like, as long as I was able to be with my son. You see, my son died when he was born, so I never got to spend time with him, watch him grow up, and teach him all the things that most people take for granted. So in my heaven, I would be the age I was when he died, and we would get to pick up where we left off.... at the beginning of his life.

Gloria How sweet. And, I truly hope this will be your heaven.

Stephanie My heaven would simply be filled with all of my favorite things. Family, friends, pets, foods, experiences, places, colors...my personal perfection. I want it to smell like baking cinnamon rolls, and my hair would never be frizzy. All the silly worries that I have in this life will have never existed...

message 15: by Jenn (new) - added it

Jenn My heaven...hmm...see this is the thing my heaven won't just be filled with my favorite things, it'll fill me with happiness that when I left the earth I went to the right place, sort of a place of reassurance, love, happiness, complete success and fulfillment, basically all that exists that is good and right. I can imagine the ground being clouds as soft as whit cotton. There would be beaches that were peacefuk and never crowded. The sand would soft to the touch, it will practically feel like talc yet still maintained it's natural grainy texture. The waters would be a pale blue or aqua. Sort of entertwined with the color you see in the sky when it's a gorgeous day yet you could see the boundary of colors between the beach and the actually sky. The nature would be slpendid and green as you could have never imagined. Not a dark eerie green, a bright, cheerful green. Everything was well maintained and the lanscaping beautiful. The architecture whether houses, bookstores, basic architecture would be elegant, victorian-like, completely clean never dirty from the rain or growin mold it would be perfect. When it would rain the result after, would not be humidity but more of a refreshing feeling. At night the stars would seem and would actually be so much brighter. There would be endless numbers of book stores, places comfortable and peaceful enough for me to write my heart out. It would be a prefect balance of bright sunshine yet cool crisp breezes of air. There would bakeries galore and when you would pass by you can smell the warmth and inviting coziness of what ever was in the oven or what ever was laid out. There would be wonderful waterfalls. I would have my family my dog my art both from writing and drawing. I wouldn't feel a care in the world, and the things we consider pests today, such as bugs amphibians would be our friends and nowhere near pests. All would be right with heaven with me, my family, the people i love and my writing :)

message 16: by Meh (new)

Meh Wow. You've really thought about that one, Jenny. Hey, whatever works for you. I think in my Heaven I would just want the power to change my Heaven to whatever I wanted to. I wouldn't get bored with it, because I could change it to anything I wanted.

Gloria Ah, the smell of cinnamon rolls, maybe made without all the calories. Oh, yes, heaven indeed.

message 18: by Eva (new)

Eva My only request now is that in my Heaven i will be with my grandmother and my grandgrandather whom i always wanted to meet.

Becky My heaven would include all of my family, a big table of delicious food, lots of books, an eternal ability to increase in knowledge, a big comfy bed, and the weather would be 75 degrees with a soft breeze.

Rachel I've always thought that each persons heaven was personalized. And yes that idea was in the book What Dreams May Come and I loved what he did with that, that was really beautiful. I can't even imagine what my heaven will be, but I know it'll be wonderful and peaceful. I think I can wait to find out!

Karen Wilson Horses-Horses-Horses with all the people I have cared about through my life.

Jennifer Dear Readers,
Through out most of the story Suzie is telling the story as she is watching it from heaven. She at one point describes how she saw it and also the people she noticed. Suzie noticed all the other girls who had been killed by Mr.Harvey. She also noticed that most people in heaven had their own version of "heaven".
My version of heaven would be wonderful, including all my favorite things. It would be full oh happiness with no hate anywhere. I could imagine the floor to be perfectly shiny, clean white. The surroundings would be a beautiful bright green color with a lot of flowers like roses, daisies, and sunflowers. I imagine there to be a lot of colorful butterflies flying. I also imagine a lot of puppies like Chihuahuas, Maltese's, and Pug's. It would be filled with wonderful people. :)

Sincerely,
Jennifer

message 23: by Keri (new) - rated it 2 stars

Keri Eva wrote: "In the book, every person had his own heaven. I think that would be really cool.
My heaven would definitly have computer and magazines. And chocolate, my cat and a lot of books to read "

Eva, love your discription of heaven! My would be very simular.

Brigit My Heaven would look like.. well umm have endless bookshelves of books.. unending supply of coffee with flavored creamers.. comfy chairs with pillows everywhere... good reading light and quiet soothing sounds.. Oh and a free Amazon account to order any other book as I needed them..for my kindle as well.. lol!! Yes

Carolyn I have had this recurring dream and believe/hope it is glimpse of my personal Heaven. I was a music major and nothing brought me closer to people than playing in orchestra/band. In my Heaven, I am in my chair on stage preparing for a concert. All sorts of people from my life join me: friends, ex-boyfriends, family, teachers, and of course my husband are there. We are all so happy to see each other. There is no resentment, no regrets between any of us. And my "children" (cats, dogs, bunnies) are running around and playing together in the theater.

Scott Smithson Holly wrote: "Actually not sure that Sebold can take credit for the idea of a "personalized" heaven. The book was published in '99... but in '98 the film "what dreams may come" had the same idea - people had per..."

The idea of a personalized heaven is 100% not original. The originality of this book is to show that people who live in ordinary suburbs surrounded by ordinary things can have tumultuous, extraordinary lives.

Bookworm My heaven would be filled with books,chocolate,I would be able to go online with all of my goodread friends to see what they are reading in their heaven. Peace and quiet.

message 28: by Yona (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yona It's always summer, but there are winter constellations in the sky. Tall grases (the kinds that come in weird colors, like purple and red) fireflies. Always warm, never too cold.

message 29: by Yona (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yona Scott wrote: "Holly wrote: "Actually not sure that Sebold can take credit for the idea of a "personalized" heaven. The book was published in '99... but in '98 the film "what dreams may come" had the same idea - ..."

There are no truly original ideas in literature, because all of literature is a conversation with an idea someone else wrote about. There are only new twists on old ideas, or new additions to old ideas.

message 30: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori my heaven would have all the things i care about. a home by a lake. with my family joining me.{ when it was their time} lots of dogs,and books. no one to pass judgement or gossip.people more kind to each other. etc.

lovedbyOrangemond My heaven would look like every little detail of my memory and dreams brought inlarged of my world, it would be like a new universe with just the wonderful people i know and want to be with, it would be a place that i would never want to leave and there I shall wait for the others

Annemarie Donahue My heaven would look like my backyard on a summer day (and it would be all one long day going into evening so we can watch movies projected on the back of my house and bbq). And there's a barnes and nobels with a cafe.

message 33: by Eddie (new)

Eddie thanks to them making that book anyone who has read it will get whatever they want. think about its not like you will get to heaven and be dissapointed because it wasnt what you expected im sure there will be personal heavens if that is truly what you want than you will get it.

Rachel My heaven would have all those that i've loved-especially my sister who died too soon and my sweet dog. for some reason i also picture alot of puffy white clouds!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree with a lot of others comments- for me, the idea of a personalized heaven is quite nice.

My heaven would be chalk full of endless amounts of possibilities. I would think a far off city with throngs of cafes and small shops would be amazing; Especially a farmers market!

I would have a small apartment with a wonderful balcony view of a cathedral that would sound off church bells in the evening.

I would use the time I have in my personalized paradise to take time to get to know my grandmother better. She passed away when I was eight, and she's missed a lot of my life. What I wouldn't give to spend a nice day with her at a coffee shop!

message 36: by Lori (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lori Jenna wrote: "I agree with a lot of others comments- for me, the idea of a personalized heaven is quite nice.

My heaven would be chalk full of endless amounts of possibilities. I would think a far off city wit..."

a nice comment you made about getting to know relatives in heaven. I would like to spend time with my grandma as well. and have her back to how she was before dementia happened to her.

Denise The inside of a dream.

Tracy Elizabeth Mine would look like this,
clouds would be the sidealk, not a scrap of dirt anywhere, no noise at all, we'd be best friends with God, and married. We'd be able to drive stuff from cloud to cloud. Everything is white or blue, or a bright pink, unicorns are everywhere and on the far end of it would be something very evil that way we have some twist to it. YOu can marry at whatever age you please, and parents won't be as strict since we'd behave. No one wuld phyiscally fight & we'd be able to imagine what we're wearing and make it appear. We'd have money by tending to the clouds. It'll be very fairytale ish

message 39: by Jana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jana I think my heaven would be beautiful,perfect and quiet with very nice people. you would think where you wnt to be and then you would instantly be there, so there would be no use for public transport. you wouldn't have to do the things you do in every day life, no food no sleep. Practicall y everything would be optional. Dreams would come true and you would be able to influence peoples lives on earth, even though you wouldn't beable to be with them.

message 40: by Jana (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jana I do picture heaven abouve earth, and me looking down, bot not in the clowds

Becky My Heaven is filled with animals, especially our lost pets.

Black Queen My heaven would have mostly everyhing on earth except the bad people wouldn't be in my heaven.

message 43: by Toni (new) - rated it 4 stars

Toni Vezinat Amy wrote: "In my personal heaven, I really wouldn't care what the surroundings were like, as long as I was able to be with my son. You see, my son died when he was born, so I never got to spend time with him..."

Amy...your post brought tears to my eyes..i wholeheartedly believe that your heaven is exactly how you described it. He's waiting for you, too...

message 44: by Jana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jana I'm sorry, I just find it really hard to comprehend that so many people, whom would otherwise be perfectly reasonable and intelligent, actually believe that there is a heaven. I honestly don't mean to offend anyone and I'm sorry if I did, but what's the problem with science?

message 45: by Mia (last edited Apr 11, 2012 05:59PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Mia Jana wrote: "I'm sorry, I just find it really hard to comprehend that so many people, whom would otherwise be perfectly reasonable and intelligent, actually believe that there is a heaven. I honestly don't mean..."

I personally believe in reincarnation, but I don't disparage people who believe in heaven, or a form of heaven. After all, science hasn't validated either the existence or nonexistence of "heaven." We know that our bodies decompose, but we're not entirely sure what happens to our consciousness (if anything).

I may be completely wrong about my belief in reincarnation, but then again, I could be right. Who knows? :)

I'd rather reincarnate than enter heaven, but if I had to choose I think I'd pick a heaven where I could drive anywhere I want to. I love traveling, especially road trips.

message 46: by Tina (new) - rated it 5 stars

Tina In my personal heaven there would be adventure playgrounds for adults as well as children, so I can climb, slide, swing and play whenever I felt like it. I would also do a lot of gardening and hope that what I planted in heaven appeared on Earth as I do. I would also like to sit back, read as much as I can and taste all the foods available without the worry of ever gaining weight, obviously I'll be able to look like whatever I wanted and I would be surrounded by pets and family who has died too or yet to be born!

Kendyl A field, a really big field with lots of wildflowers and a very dense forest to play in. I imagine it to be very beautiful and with lots of space to run around and be happy in. Just as long as there's lots of flowers, birds, and butterflies. I really like butterflies.

message 48: by Licha (new) - rated it 1 star

Licha For some reason, I always picture myself returning to childhood when I'm in heaven. It's a sweet thought.

message 49: by [deleted user] (new)

My heaven would have my laptop, amazing books, glazed donuts, Cheezits, Goldfish, and music :) there would be music playing wherever you go and there would be these machines and you press a button and you get yummy food :)

Ariadne Hmm I always believed myself people had their own versions of heaven/afterlife. I'd have it broken up into three parts: 1) a villa on the beach (somewhere tropical with a nice breeze every once in awhile), 2) a cabin in the woods during the fall watching the leaves turn golden orange, and 3) another villa on the mountin tops during winter and watching the snow fall down. I would have all my favorite books in all three places so I could pick up where I left off when I go to another part. I would also have control who can visits me/stays in my heaven with me and who won't be allowed. I would have my own private collection of DVDs both ones I have seen (and love) and the one's I want to see. I might forget something but for the most part this is what my dream heaven would be like.

« previous 1