Gardener's Group discussion

OGSG Archives > Garden Journal

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Does anyone keep a garden journal and if so how do you use it?

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I've tried to keep up with it, I've got one, but I tend to take LOTS of pics and write in my regular journal about my garden (and blog about it too!) more so than in my specific gardening journal.

message 3: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments I do lots of pictures too, but keep them in a separate binder with garden plans and designs, the info stakes that come with plants, invoices from past plant orders and pictures I rip out of magazines. It's kind of my garden dream book plus helps me to remember what I've done and what I'd like to do. I have a large yard, small budget and do all the work myself so I'm always brainstorming about what I might be able to do. I love "Garden Gate" magazine and have gotten many helpful tips and ideas from its pages. A favorite winter pastime is to sit down with all the back issues--old ideas sometimes look new. Right now I'm looking over gardening books and deciding which one I will ask Santa for this Christmas.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I love doing the same! I have a whole stash of old gardening mags!

"The Garden in Winter" is on my wish list this year! Such beautiful pics!

message 5: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments I'll have to check out that book--sounds interesting. I try to leave a few things in the flower beds to make them somewhat interesting in winter, but they usually end up buried in snow anyway and are a bigger mess to clean up in the spring.
Tomorrow is "cut back the flower beds" day and then it will be "clean out the garden day" after that. We are having a string of days in the high 50s which is my idea of perfect for this kind of work and I'm actually looking forward to it.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Aaaahhhh SNOW! I remember snow! Sigh! We haven't had any here since '06!:(

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I have a great one that I don't think I touched this past season, lol! Ah well, there's always this year!

message 8: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments I've kept garden journals for many years and get a kick out of going back and reading about some of my big plans that never happened or some of my more spectacular failures. One thing about gardening, it keeps me humble.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) I found a catalog at the Philly Flower Show earlier this month with a garden journal that includes clear inserts for your seed packets! I always keep my seed packets after planting and they're all just sitting in a box, rubber banded by year. (It's on my list of wants for this year)

message 10: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Ooh--that journal sounds good. Mine are just utilitarian 3 ring binders with notebook paper and sheet protectors.

message 11: by Bluedaizy (new)

Bluedaizy | 10 comments that's a great idea! I have 3 ring binders going to waste. I'm going to put them to work for me!

message 12: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments My binders are leftovers from a past position at work doing a job I came to despise so it gives me great pleasure to use them for something I enjoy so much. I was just looking at the one I did last year and checking on what I actually did plant last fall and where exactly did I plant it. Sometimes I forget and my little name markers fade under the snow. It also helps me to identify what doesn't make it. Hopefully there won't be too many of those!

message 13: by Bluedaizy (new)

Bluedaizy | 10 comments Yes, I planted some other things last fall and I think I'm going to have to find the catalogs in order to find out what I actually planted. Putting all that info in a binder would be a lot smarter! :)

message 14: by Nic (new)

Nic Hi all - apologies for not being very active in this group since I joined, I do enjoy reading all your posts in this group though as they come into my inbox!

I just couldn't resist adding a little shameless plug for my website to this topic, it's my project that I work on when I'm not out gardening :)

Anyway - the website is http://myfolia.com and it's a garden journaling and tracking site that anybody can join. See the Tour page ( http://myfolia.com/tour ) for some of the features I've built so far. The feature I'm most proud of making is growing timelines - so you can check out my growing timeline to see what I'm up to in the garden right now: http://myfolia.com/gardener/nic/timeline

I'm developing new features for it all the time, based on the feedback and ideas I get from everyone. I'd love to hear what you think of it and if you have any suggestions for new features!

If you do end up joining, add me as a buddy!
http://myfolia.com/gardener/nic

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) This is great Nic! I'm not at our computer now but will gladly take a look later on today. I hope you'll continue to post comments here when you have the time! The more, the merrier!

message 16: by Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (last edited Apr 16, 2009 07:07PM) (new)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Nic, your site is AMAZING! It's the Ravelry for Gardeners! When I have a little time (after I'm done editing with a manuscript between now and the 24th), I'm signing up!

message 17: by Nic (new)

Nic Hehe, thanks! Glad you like it!

Whenever you do sign up, don't forget to add me as a buddy - I'll be glad to show you 'round :)

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) Great! I will. (Sigh, another site for me to get addicted to, lol!)

message 19: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Hi Nic--I'm going to check out your site too, sounds interesting.

message 20: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Nic--joined your website today. Some very interesting features. I know I will use the journal and would love to add some pics, but for some reason I have never been able to download pictures from my digital camera. Maybe someone on the site can help me figure it out. I'm looking forward to see what others in my area are planting and planning. I'm going to try the timeline too--it's pretty impressive. I'll never give up my paper journal completely, but I think this is going to be a lot of fun as well. Sure glad you hopped in with your plug for your site.

message 21: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I will have to check out Nic's site too! It looks interesting.

I had kept a shoebox for my gardening info stakes and seed packets, but then visited my aunt and saw her pretty garden journal. Mine has never looked like hers (she didn't work outside the home), but I do keep one, and try during the winter to update what I neglect to write down during the busy summer months. I also have a whole book of plants I have tried that didn't make it, and try to figure out why they didn't make it. And I have another book of wish plants. I am a bit of a collector, although I am trying to rein that in since I can't afford it now, and can't do as much physically since I have severe arthritis in my knees. The surgeon doesn't even want me to garden or do any yard work, but I can't live like that. Except for the back yard where the dogs go, my yard is all flower beds with just paths of grass. I have a severely sloping hell strip, so I have terraced that with stones and planted perennials on that. It accents the original cement hitching post with the original owner's name and date- Dr. Gardener 1900! What a hoot!

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) That's fascinating & funny about the post!

I can't live like that either. I can't not garden!

message 23: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Miriam--your yard and garden sounds terrific. I can't imagine not gardening. I grew up on a farm where it was a way of life and even though I've lived in town for 40 years I still love to get my hands in the soil. I'm never satisfied with how things look and constantly add and move stuff. I retired this year and have spent more time gardening than ever. So far the body has held up fairly well with the exception of arthritis in my thumbs. I think it's really wonderful you have something so historic in your yard.

message 24: by Miriam (new)

Miriam I forgot to mention, this year I have been taking photos of my yard almost weekly, to watch the progression. I will edit them this winter, and problably put them on my facebook page.

Bloomin’Chick (Jo) aka The Eclectic Spoonie (bloominchick) That's a great idea Miriam. I take photo's of my garden (way too many photo's!) every year. I love being able to look back on them.

message 26: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments I do photos too and find they give me a huge lift when I look at them around the end of March when I'm beginning to think I will never see sun, green grass or flowers again.

message 27: by Miriam (new)

Miriam Cheryl, I bet they do! I was laughing at your post... I feel that way most of the winter! I will try to figure out how to get photos on this website, but for now, I have to get dressed, have an interview for the assistant library director position just two blocks from my house!

message 28: by Cheryl S. (new)

Cheryl S. | 3501 comments Good luck with your interview!