The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Meghan I didn't know where to post this, but I was wondering if we could discuss (or determine) what the guidelines are for the books we choose. I think Shannon you were going off the official WB Rory Gilmore Book Club list. But I also remember us discussing reading books or authors that were mentioned on the show. I don't know where we stood on movies that were based on books that were also referenced on the show.

Anyway, the reason I asked was the books that I put up for voting were based solely on the official WB list (which I've read a lot of them already). I had forgotten about our other discussions.

I am kind of hoping that we could maybe establish somewhere a list of books we would like to see be read. The list can be revisable, but an initial list might prove helpful.

message 2: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) You mean in addition to the club book shelf?

message 3: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
The books I put up were not just the ones from the WB list. I used a list from http://www.listsofbests.com/list/18323. I think this includes books from WB list, books mentioned on the show and books from authors mentioned on the show. Is a certain someone looking for a project............... ;)

message 4: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego | 1996 comments Mod
Meghan, if you scroll down on the club's main page, there is a link to our bookshelf of 160 books compiled by Shannon from the afore mentioned locations. Were you wanting something more than this? Or are you suggesting something different?

message 5: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Meghan Sorry ladies (and I guess gents now)! Total brain fart. I knew about the shelf but didn't view all. I thought they were all just "books" (that you had to put the cursor over to find out the titles) and not a list. I am a list freak. Anyway, thanks for the help. Got it.

Also, Shannon thanks for the link! I also use the listofbest site (it's great), but I think I used a different Rory Gilmore site. So this is much more complete!

message 6: by Deborah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Deborah | 6 comments I was just wondering the same thing..where the original list of books came. Thanks for answering my question!

message 7: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Grrrr. It's always the one time I don't copy it that my post is lost by goodreads!!

I updated the book list to include the rest from the original WB list. I also created an Excel spreadsheet of all the titles. So if anyone prefers to peruse all the books on one page when nominating, etc., let me know. I would be happy to email it to you.

message 8: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Great idea Michele! Thanks!!

message 9: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) There are more? Time to update my "to read" list...

message 10: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Arctic said:

The Hobbit isn't on the list. Should it be?

message 11: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

Alison said:

If it was referenced on the show, I don't see why we can't add it. :)

message 12: by whichwaydidshego, the sage of sass (new)

My only thought is that Shannon had originally set it up for the official Rory Gilmore book list. Why don't we ask her first?

message 13: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (goosers34) so what is the actual list rory is working on when logan runs into her at the yale cafeteria?

message 14: by Alison, the guru of grace (new)

Alison | 1282 comments Mod
I think it would be kind of fun...as we're re-watching the shows...if a book is mentioned, we could propose it to the group to add it to the list. As long as we can reference the show. We could also start a movie list of movies mentioned. Just ideas. I don't want to disrupt any order.

message 15: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

If it is mentioned on the show and you can reference the episode - I say add it. I also like the idea of compiling a movie list! That show has great taste.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Thanks, Shannon. Should we add the books ourselves and make a post about why we added it, or request for a moderator to add it?

message 17: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

I'm going to add a new post under this section for new book list adds. Then add a post to what you want to add and why and one of the moderators will put it up. Thanks!!