College Students! discussion

Comments Showing 1-44 of 44 (44 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner) (perpetualpageturner) | 4407 comments Mod
i realized tonight while in the car with my best friend why I never talk politics with anyone..i mean..they always say that its one of those topics you should not talk about with people..and well.its true..haha never ever ever again will I bring up anything politics related. I mean..i'm all about a good friendly debate sometimes..but I think really..in my mind..its overrated..i don't want to deal with it..and this turned from friendly debate to ugly reallll quick.. I have my opinions..and I think I'd prefer to keep them to myself...I mean..it was really tense in our car ride home..and shes my BEST FRIEND. it's so easy to get fired up when talking about that stuff and you don't even realize it. haha..so that was my rant..I'm keeping my political opinions to myself! Oh so hard with the looming election hanging over our heads. I'm pretty much sick of politics.

anyone else with me??
have a similar experience when talking politics?

message 2: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 143 comments yeahh..i don't do politics either.
I'm far too opinionated.

message 3: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) Can't do it. Sometimes I try, but really I just don't have the energy.

We have our beliefs and values. And they're just as valid as others'.

Most people can't swallow that last tidbit though, so I don't like talking to them about things.

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (readerandwriter) I dont like politics either. They usually confuse me.

message 5: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) I hate politics but that's because I know too much about what is going on. Is there anyway they could both lose?

message 6: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

haha i wish!

message 7: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) I think we should be able to write REDO, seriously

message 8: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments It's funny, because I talk about politics all the time. Especially lately, what with the election and all. I don't put all of my opinions out there all the time, but I talk about it more generally. Like "what did you think about the debate last night?"...rather than "Why the hell would you vote for blah di blah?", so it doesn't get too heated. I try not to get into arguments about it, but people around me generally know my position on things.

message 9: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) I agree w/you Kels. Unless they're my friend and we already know the boundaries, I just keep it generalized.

I don't mind talking politics, but it all depends on with whom. For example, one of my good friends is a hard core repub (I'm a dem). When we talk politics it isn't yelling over eachother or belittling our beliefs, but more speaking our mind, explaining WHY we feel that way (which i think is the most important part), then listening to what the other person has to say.
We might not agree w/eachother, but I always learn something when I talk to her and don't feel the need to choke her afterwards :)
Talking politics w/a co-worker of mine, however... completely different story. He goes WAY off the deep end and argues w/you even if you agree w/him!!

message 10: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) I went to England and Ireland this Summer and found it really interesting to hear what the Brit youth thought of the States and their own country.

I like listening to politics sometimes, but my discussions are very very very few and far between.

message 11: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

I found the same thing when I went overseas to England, France, and Italy. It was interesting to hear their perceptions of different things going on in America like either in the paper or on the news.

message 12: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) I actually found the opposite. I had a really cool, calm conversation. They were really unhappy with their own government and felt like we were in the same boat politically.

message 13: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) Oh- and while they were aware of the stereotypes, they weren't defending them or anything. They were just like yeah- we know how people see Americans, but obv. it's not all like that.

message 14: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) The guy I'm referring to lived in Wells. He was treated as the "country" guy growing up so I think he had a pretty good notion of stereotypes.

message 15: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

i really just wish stereotypes didn't exist. I know I do it too..but really..why put people in a box? I guess it makes people feel better to be able to so easily categorize someone. I hate how its done in politics too. There are so many stereotypes surrounding each one of the candidates and the parties. It's so frustrating.

message 16: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) I chock it up to the limitations of language and human comprehension. Most people (I'd argue all) can't always think in terms without categorizing. It's a actually an incredibly "Western" thing to categorize. We just started taking it a bit too far.

In my Religion & Culture class today we watched an episode of 30 Days where a W. Virginia Christian male was sent to "Muslim Country" in Michigan. He had to spend 30 days learning all about Islam and their culture. I love that kind of thing. Shred stereotypes with open-minds and knowledge!

message 17: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

that sounds so interesting Kate! I loved my World Religions class..i just learned so much and learned how much I didn't know/some false knowledge I had.

I think i would agree on what you said about it being the limitations of language and human comprehension. we have categories for everything!

message 18: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) Blaaaaaah! I just stupidly got into a debate, even though I advise myself against it, and I completely regret it!!!

What even compels us to spout our ideals to those who have no intention of listening? I would like to understand that to better prevent it.

message 19: by Janet (new)

Janet I hate politics. I am a huge hot head and will voice my opinion. It's hard because my boyfriend and I are pretty opposite when it comes to politics, so we can never talk about it! Our friend though, on Facebook, one of his interests is fighting about politics. I think that's pretty low and he is a jerk about it too! That's why I can't stand all of it. Haha.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

good thing i am independent

message 21: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

i'm registered as independent as well..i'd prefer not to affiliate myself with either party.

message 22: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
I sometimes think that if there weren't parties, then people would actually have to know what they stand for and what the candidate stands for. As it is now, a lot of people vote for the party not the person.

message 23: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

i agree Tami..it's so sad. I'd prefer not to be bound by any political agendas by the parties but rather be informed and vote accordingly to what I believe and who could represent that the best. we should do away with the parties! haha

message 24: by Emma (new)

Emma It's so nice to find a discussion about politics that doesn't devolve into partisan bashing.

message 25: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

yeah that's definitely one thing I want to avoid. Politics can make people nasty!

message 26: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) I voted! Yay. Took me almost three hours...but I did it. Whoo!

message 27: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments I can't wait to vote on Tuesday, and I can't wait to sit by the TV all night biting my nails. Actually, I probably would rather avoid the waiting part, but I can't wait to see who wins! I've been so into this election, and I've been hugely supporting my candidate since February of last year, so it's been a very long time, and now it's finally coming to an end, thank God.

message 28: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

i'm going to vote on Tuesday..i'll probably walk there because its so close to my house because who knows how parking will be.

message 29: by April (new)

April | 39 comments I am excited about voting on Tuesday as well. Gonna make a homemade pot of chili and gather around the tv for a def all nighter!!! I have such an adrenaline rush during these kinds of things...

message 30: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

haha i really get that way too!

message 31: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

yayyy i just voted!! it was great..there was this whole line at the place that i vote at..it was like district 3 and 4 were there..and my sister and i are in district 4..and there was NO line..i literally was in and out in a few minutes.

message 32: by Heather (new)

Heather (andshewontsleep) | 278 comments haha jamie, that's the exact same thing that happened to me. everyone gave me dirty looks because i got to skip the line.

message 33: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

haha yeah..people were like that towards us to! I just smiled and said excuse me as i went ahead of them. haha.

message 34: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) Tonight is going to be cuhhh-razy!

message 35: by Janet (new)

Janet EVERYONE GO VOTE!!! HOORAY!!!

message 36: by Spencer (new)

Spencer (spencerafreeman) i voted early on friday, but im still super amped over seeing who will win (i hope who i voted for wins... knock on wood) !!!

message 37: by kate (new)

kate (katelucia) I was really incredibly moved by both speeches tonight. McCain's made me cry- I'm such a baby.

message 38: by sara frances (new)

sara frances (sara_frances) thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster it's over!

:D

message 39: by Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner), The Founding Bookworm (new)

haha kate..i did too!! i get super sentimental and emotional easily.

message 40: by Emma (new)

Emma I cried during Obama's speech though both men did amazing jobs. Thanks to everyone who voted!

message 41: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
That is what was most important to me of this whole election. People actually voted. More than there have been in a long time. That is a great thing. Hopefully that trend will continue.

message 42: by Kelsey (new)

Kelsey (xtoloveistolivex) | 534 comments I'm way too emotional too. I definitely did my fair share of crying last night. I'm a huge Obama supporter, but I thought that McCain did a great job with his speech and was very gracious and respectful. I appreciated that.

message 43: by Janet (new)

Janet I voted and drove all the way to Denver from Greeley which is like 75 miles away to do it! Woo hoo!!

message 44: by [deleted user] (last edited Feb 15, 2009 04:32AM) (new)

I study politics, so I talk about it a fair bit to some of my friends. I think politics is really interesting, but I have had some fairly heated discussions over it. Even though I couldn't vote coz I'm not American, i am glad that Obama won, fair play to ye for voting for him.

Best of all.....NO MORE BUSH!!!!!!!!!!!!!