What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

From E to You
This topic is about From E to You
SOLVED: Children's/YA > SOLVED. England, Teen, Emails, think they have same parent, mum same name, boy named Guy [s]

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rachel Brand I read this book when I was about eleven or twelve, but don't have a clue what it's called.

It was written in emails, between a girl and a boy from England. The girl's dad decided it would be good for her to have a penpal, so she starts emailing this boy who her dad knows. His name is Guy, and she makes fun of his name in the first email - that's how the novel starts.

The girl lies about her age, and is probably only about fourteen, whereas he is sixteen. At some point in the email he checks her school website and comments on it, saying "Wow, they really haven't changed the pictures in a while? They've got one of you labelled being fourteen!" or something to that affect. He eventually finds out that she lied to him and gets annoyed at her for it.

The novel turns into a mystery, as the two become convinced that they have the same mother, as their mothers have the same name...? I can't remember how the theory worked, just that they thought they might be half-sisters and half-brothers. They're not, though, they discover this at the end of the book.

There was a story told in it, by one of their dads, about how their parents all lived together at college, and something to do with pancake day and them all cooking pancakes.

I really can't remember much else, other than that I think the cover was purple and green.

It's quite new, I probably read it in the early 2000s or late 1990s.

If anyone can help me out it would be nice =] I've been wondering what this book was for YEARS. I know it's kind of obscure, as it's a very English book, and might not appeal to people outside of Britian. But anyway, hope someone knows what it is!

message 2: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rachel Brand Nevermind, the title came to me when I was in the shower this morning!

If anyone is interested, it's "From E To You" by Linda Newberry and Chris d'Lacey.