What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

POSSIBLY SOLVED > Stardust Motel?

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meiso (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Meiso | 4 comments Very vague recollection of the story, but it's driving me crazy.

Young adult book from somewhere in the mid 80s to mid 90s.

Involves a boy and a girl who are friends.

They play a computer game and somehow (the boy only?) gets sucked into the game.

The boy must fight some (alien-like?) creature in the game to escape.

For some reason, who knows why, the phrase "stardust motel" or just "stardust" comes to mind when I think about this book.

Searched for variants of that as the title, but no success.

Appreciate the help.

message 2: by Debbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Shadow of the Minotaur by Alan Gibbons?

message 3: by Meiso (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Meiso | 4 comments I appreciate the help but this was most likely published in the mid to late eighties, possibly a bit earlier, or the early nineties; I read it when I was in grade school.

message 4: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Alexandra | 40 comments This sounds similar to the movie "The Last Starfighter", I checked and there was a book version, The Last Starfighter, based on the movie.

In the movie the boy is a video game wiz, turns out the video game was a set up - a test to recruit starfighters. Aliens take the boy to fight in a space battle. The boy lives in a trailer park, I think there's something significant about the name/sign of the trailer park. Boy has a girlfriend.

Edit: I just looked at the description for the movie on Amazon, and I think this is it. The trailer park is called "Starlite Starbrite", movie came out in 1984.

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Starfighte...

message 5: by Meiso (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Meiso | 4 comments Sounds promising. The boy living in a trailer park doesn't sound very familiar though. I'll see if I can find it at the library and let you know. Thanks for the help!

message 6: by Alexandra (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Alexandra | 40 comments Welcome :)

message 7: by Claire Michie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Claire Michie | 22 comments This also sounds like Ender's Game, but there's no trailer park...maybe?

message 8: by Crystal (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:53PM) (new)

Crystal (crystalline) | 6 comments "Killobyte" by Piers Anthony?

Published early 90s--1992 or 1993, I think.

Check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Killobyte-Piers...

message 9: by Amara (last edited Dec 16, 2008 11:32PM) (new)

Amara | 2 comments Yes! I too have been looking for this book for a number of years now! I read it in a (class read) in 5th or 6th grade I'm now 30 yrs of age so it was right there in the late 80's early 90's and yes all I can remember is that the name was like (Stardust motel) It most definatly had (Stardust in the title) but for some reason I want to say the title is(The Stardust Motel)- and had something to do with a young boy and girl fighting aliens?? can't recall much more than that but remembered all through the years that this is a one of a kind book! I absoultly enjoyed it! So you are on the right track with that name? but if we both remember it to be that name why can't we find it????
Sorry I can't be of much help cause I too have been doing searches for this very same book, It's frusterating! If you do find the book let me know? your book buddy Amara FYI -- I just spoke to my sister who too read this book in school and she is going to call her grade school teacher tomorrow who she still speaks too and ask her if she can remember this book.- so if I hear any good news I will post it ASAP!

message 10: by Josie (new)

Josie (maid_marian) | 101 comments 'Space Demons' by Gillian Rubinstein fits the first description, except for the Stardust bit...so it may not be it...anyway, thought I'd suggest it!

message 11: by KAR (new)

KAR | 3 comments This actually has some elements of Into the Dream by William Sleator.

"Paul has a recurring nightmare, about a small boy in awful danger. When he learns that his classmate Francine has it, too, the two of them join forces to solve the mystery and save the boy--before their bad dream becomes a terrifying reality."

The "mystery" is that they were both staying at the Stardust Motel when there was a UFO sighting. A pregnant woman and her pregnant dog were there as well and their babies were left with telepathic abilities. The government is out to find the telepathic child (and a telepathic puppy), as are the two kids who are receiving the dream. The government agents follow the kids and rescue the child (and puppy), then end up being chased to a fair where they get stuck of a Ferris wheel.

There aren't any computers or aliens in the book, but the Stardust Motel is certainly there and there are UFO and chase aspects to it.

message 12: by Amara (new)

Amara | 2 comments thanks for the suggestion, but I think that it's not the book that I'm still hunting for? but I will keep on trying!

message 13: by Valerie (new)

Valerie (veegood) | 142 comments The first book I thought of from the original post was "Only You Can Save Mankind" by Terry Pratchett.
The kids are all playing a computer game, one of the boys finds out that the aliens they are fighting in the game are actually real, all they want to do is go home, so he goes into the game somehow and leads them to safety. There is a girl who is also playing the game.
The only Stardust association I can come up with for this book is that Terry Pratchett has worked with Neil Gaimen who wrote the graphic novel Stardust which was turned into a movie of the same name, so maybe I'm completely on the wrong track?

message 14: by Diana (new)

Diana Welsch | 527 comments It's not Interstellar Pig by William Sleator, is it?

message 15: by Brenda (new)

Brenda | 146 comments What about Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg.?

message 16: by April Ann (last edited Feb 04, 2009 09:59AM) (new)

April Ann (Bloomer) | 516 comments Hotel Stardust by Susan Barrie Hotel Stardust (Harlequin Romance, # 831) by Susan Barrie

Or: Stardust Hotel by Paul B. Janeczko ? These are poems.

message 17: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (Bloomer) | 516 comments I found New World by Gillan Cross from 1995.
Summary: Fourteen-year-olds Miriam and Stuart agree to test a new computer game in utmost secrecy but find that it is more than they bargained for.

message 18: by April Ann (new)

April Ann (Bloomer) | 516 comments Here's 331 titles at Barnes and Noble's out of print section with the word "Stardust" in them.

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/used...

message 19: by Paddy (new)

Paddy | 1 comments This is creepy- I have the exact same memory and have been searching for Stardust Motel for years!

The plot of Into the Dream sounds like it fits- I remember the psychic dog- but the cover most definitely does not ring a bell. I could swear I remember the cover, and it said Stardust Motel.

This shared imagined memory is beginning to resemble a book plot in itself... Maybe we've all been visited by aliens?

message 20: by rivka (new)

rivka | 303 comments Paddy wrote: "I could swear I remember the cover, and it said Stardust Motel."

Pretty sure there was an edition of Into the Dream with this cover. (And this particular book has shown up in this group several times. It is a tad spooky!)

message 21: by Amber (new)

Amber | 1 comments I too, have the same recollection of reading this book back in the 6th or 7th grade. I want to read it again, but my seaches for keyword "stardust motel" come up dry, except for this blog. so i figured i would finally post, and let you know that i share your frustration. i have been looking for this book for years with no luck!!!! :(

message 22: by Kevyn (new)

Kevyn There have been several editions of this book and if you look closely at the Puffin 2000 edition, at least, that cover does have an image of the "Starlight Hotel" (or "Motel"?) neon sign.

http://www.goodreads.com/work/edition...

http://www.goodreads.com/book/photo/5...

message 23: by Mike (new)

Mike | 1 comments Into the Dream...OMG, I've been trying to find out the name of that book for years...I had the edition with the ferris wheel and the moon on the cover. I think it may actually be at my mom's house still but the cover ripped off while reading it one of the countless times I did.

message 24: by Jena (new)

Jena | 40 comments Mike, I know! I think I read that book three times when I was a tween and could never, even then, remember the title, just the cover with the Ferris wheel.

message 25: by Joy (new)

Joy | 1 comments KAR hit it on the head. Well that was the one I was thinking about. I sporadically think about that book but could never remember the name. And after seeing Inception I had to find out! Couldn't imagine finding a forum where that book is mentioned. Unfortunately its not what the question poster was looking for. But at least it helped a few of us reconnect to it.

message 26: by melissa (new)

melissa (majeska38) | 1 comments Did anyone ever find this book? I remember reading this in grade school

message 27: by Kellie (new)

Kellie | 1 comments Not sure if anyone has found the book or if this has been posted already. I found this thread looking for this book -----------> http://books.google.com/books/about/S...

message 28: by Chad (new)

Chad | 1 comments This is it! I had the same recollection of reading this book in the mid eighties as a child but could not remember the name. It had a picture of the Starlight Motel on the cover.

Kevyn wrote: "There have been several editions of this book and if you look closely at the Puffin 2000 edition, at least, that cover does have an image of the "Starlight Hotel" (or "Motel"?) neon sign.

http://w..."

message 29: by Robert (new)

Robert Davis (robert_davis) Into the Dream by William Sleator !!!

This has been driving me mad for years! I read this in the 6th grade in 1982 and have been unable to find it since. Thank you all so much for helping me find it again. My recollection is foggy, but I remember the boy & girl visiting the 'Starlight Motel' in Lake Tahoe. Does that sound right?

message 30: by Kris (new)

Kris | 16306 comments Mod
Meiso, are you still looking for this book or did you find it?

message 31: by Deane (new)

Deane Morris | 1 comments Yep!!! It's Into the Dream!!! YAY! Thanks!

message 32: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 26858 comments Mod
So we don't get confused, Meiso is the OP.