The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Intros, Questions & Suggestions > norman mailer, i'm pregnant!

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

brian   just joined the group, so could be repeating a previous post, but...

as a fan of both rory gilmore and norman mailer - has he been discussed yet? he is, afterall, the most prominant author to guest star on the show...

i think i'm the only male in this club. yee-haw!

message 2: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) | 1996 comments Mod
Hey Brian - welcome to the coven. Just kidding! Glad to have you and it will be fun to have your unique perspective in our group.

As to Norman Mailer, we only briefly discussed him when talking about our perameters for selecting the book list.

We've only been around about a month, so are still working out the kinks. Be sure to jump in and vote for November's book selection - voting ends tonight!

Again, really glad to have you hangin' out with us! A little testosterone might do us some good...

message 3: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
Welcome Brian! Yeah I think you are the only male but you do have some damn good taste.

message 4: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Tiffany | 59 comments Welcome Brian! I just joined last week and I am already having such a ball. It is nice to see a male hanging around and I am looking forward to that perspective.

message 5: by Tiffany (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Tiffany Hi Brian,
Welcome to the group!

message 6: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Meghan Brian, you must answer the next question honestly. Your membership to this group depends on it:

are you a Luke or a Chris?

(I'm totally kidding. Welcome to the group!)

message 7: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Meghan Although, I guess since this is the RORY Gilmore book club I should have asked:

Are you a Dean, Jess, or Logan?

But that just felt a little high school.

message 8: by brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

brian   whew. quite the response... hello everyone. thanks for the warm reception.

to answer the question: i'd have to say i'm a 'jess'. he is the book geek, yeah? :-)

as far as mailer: i always found it curious that mailer's most important book was The Executioner's Song about... yeah: gary gilmour. figured they were going to make some kind of joke about the gilmour/gilmour thing, when he was on the show, but... i guess it was a bit too obvious.

okay, going to go see what's going on with this voting thing...

message 9: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) Yay for boys! And Meghan totally stole my question. LOL. Welcome Brian!

Also, your "interests" are, well, interesting. To say the least.

message 10: by whichwaydidshego?, the sage of sass (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego? (whichwaydidshego) | 1996 comments Mod
Yeah... I was cracking up when I read your interests. For some reason it reminded me of a bit of graffiti I once read...

Unite for anarchy.

None of my friends could understand why I couldn't stop laughing. Says something about my friends back then... and why I've no idea where they are today.

Anyway, you'll have to elaborate on your "interests" some time.

message 11: by Meghan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Meghan Michele - I wonder if they have a newsletter and group meetings? You have to appreciate organized anarchy though. It's just less messy. LOL

message 12: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Rebecca (beccam1001) | 6 comments Hi Brian, from a fellow newbie. I'm glad you selected that quote to title this discussion--it's from one of my favorite GG episodes.

Anyway, welcome.

message 13: by Bibliosaurus (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Bibliosaurus | 22 comments Hi Brian,
I wonder if are there any Lifetime movies about right-wing sodomy, something in the vein of, Ring Around the Flag: My Affair with Right-Wing Sodomy.

I'm pretty sure Dean is the book lover. Jess is Luke's nephew and the brooding troublemaker.

Happy reading!

message 14: by Sarah (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Sarah (songgirl7) No, no, Dean was the one Rory was always trying to get to read, Jess always had a paperback in his back pocket.

message 15: by Bibliosaurus (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Bibliosaurus | 22 comments oops! I stand corrected. I thought Dean gave Rory a book when they first started dating, I guess it was the reverse.