Study Buddies discussion

Discuss Poison Study > Yelena's crime

Comments Showing 1-24 of 24 (24 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jane (new)

Jane (janeg) | 123 comments Mod
Yelena admits to murder in the first chapter. Do you think she was justified in killing Reyad, or do you believe that she should have explored other options? What other options were available to her?

message 2: by Lexie (new)

Lexie (poisonedrationality) | 172 comments I second everything Tracy said. I think that if Reyad hadn't gloated about choosing a new girl to play with, then Yelena wouldn't have been able to muster up the necessary anger and intent. His doing so fueled her fierce protective instincts.

message 3: by Damaris (new)

Damaris (dcarmonaraya) | 1 comments that's so true she even brings it up on how it would harm her friend may( I think don't remember the name)but she say it that's if it wasn't her it would have been other girls she felt that the was the best way to protect her self and others ..She didn't have nothing to live for, that world was the only thing she new. I think what's she went through was enough. If u read the other book u will see that see saves and understants the girl that are being abused.

message 4: by Raissa (new)

Raissa | 8 comments That's her name. Her two friends at the orphanage were may and carra.

But, yeah, I believe it was perfectly justified. If it happened here, It would be considered self defense. Only the strict laws of the Code put her in jail. She believed she had no soul, had no life outside of the orphanage, and that she would probably never amount to anything. All she had were her two friends, May and carra, who she thought as sister figures or even daughters. Of course she's going to want to protect the things she loves most. When Reyad said that he would continue onto her friends, he incited a fierce, mother bear sort of instinct, and that can be very deadly. But I believe that she didn't really think too deeply into it. I believe it was more instinctual. Sure she thought of it when she hid the knife in his bed, but that was just a procaution. I don't think she really wanted to kill him or really resigned herself to the fact the she was going to. He was ready to kill her and hurt her friends, so she jumped into action

message 5: by Alethea (last edited Nov 03, 2008 06:56PM) (new)

Alethea A (frootjoos) | 481 comments Mod
I think it was Roxy who was saying to me that she found it inconsistent that that is the reason why Yelena killed Reyad, because she didn't think that she spent very much of the book thinking about May and Carra. I think of it more as the feeling, the crime-of-passion moment when she kills him, and not an outside reflection on why she did it and who she did it for. I didn't think she needed to think about them much more than she did after the fact--it would have just been extra words for me, to describe something I already understood.

I don't think she had a lot of other options. She was pretty much brainwashed in Brazell's manor--you've got to figure everyone else is, too! Who are you supposed to ask for help? And it's no use running away, without traveling papers she'd have been arrested and sent back to him anyway. Her only other course would have been suicide, which is implied that at first she hides the knife not sure who she'll be using it on. But that's not our Yelena's way!

message 6: by Renee (new)

Renee (reneewildes) Given the hellish environment, it says a lot about Yelena's strength of character that she was able to ACT. A woman who had reached the end of her rope and did something about it. It may not have been deliberately premeditated, but somewhere she found the strength to break free into a moment of herself.

I love reading stories where characters find an inner strength they didn't know they had, who don't just whine about their circumstances but find an active way to change them. Even knowing the cost/consequences, they find the strength to say "NO MORE!"

message 7: by Gisela (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 180 comments I don't think Yelena killed Reyad simply to save her friends. She acted because she felt that no one else should go through what she did, she couldn't allow it.

message 8: by Jen (new)

Jen | 38 comments Reyad beat her and brutalized her and took away her humanity - stole it from her as she'd just reclaimed it in the acrobatics "medal" she'd won. He reduced her to cowering - and the nail in the coffin was certainly mentioning Carra and May - those children grew up as siblings - learning and doing together - they were the only family she had in whom she could still trust and believe - since her "father" and "older brother" (and Magkok) had destroyed her visions of them, etc. She had every right to take his life and now, she would not be found accountable - and that's something that the State had to figure out - there are extenuating circumstances and I doubt the Commander wanted to sanction abuse and rape.

message 9: by Gisela (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 180 comments I agree that the Commander wouldn't sanction abuse and rape, however I don't remember any mention of what the punishment for such abuse would be.

message 10: by Jen (new)

Jen | 38 comments True - I don't recall that there was any kind of rule discussed in the books about the Commander disallowing abuse and what punishment would be incurred.

Hmmm....

:) Jen

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 175 comments *Sigh* It is hard to justify killing a person. Reyad was disgusting and needed punishment,yes, but death? However, I feel that it was the only way out for her. If she had just maimed Reyad and managed to escape, the chances of her finding true safety is unlikely. She would have been brought back and been tortured some more.

message 12: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 511 comments I think that she was a bit justified and that she couldn't have ever lived with herself if it hadn'tve happened. I think she would have been dead inside even if she wasn't facing death. So it's hard to justify it in a society like ours, but as a character, it seemed much needed.

message 13: by Gisela (new)

Gisela (chicadorlando) | 180 comments This might sound cold or cruel, but I think some people don't deserve to live and Reyad was one of them.

message 14: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 511 comments Takes balls to say that, but I agree.

message 15: by Meme (new)

Meme (mstylp) | 519 comments Gisela wrote: "This might sound cold or cruel, but I think some people don't deserve to live and Reyad was one of them."

I have to say I agree with you wholeheartedly

message 16: by Thu (new)

Thu | 136 comments Yeah, I agree with Gisela because Reyad was a horrible person. Yelena really didn't have other options and Reyad would have probably killed her in the long run.

message 17: by Meme (new)

Meme (mstylp) | 519 comments Thu wrote: "Yeah, I agree with Gisela because Reyad was a horrible person. Yelena really didn't have other options and Reyad would have probably killed her in the long run."

Yes then then went on to one of her kids, or sisters that would not have been good at all.

message 18: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 511 comments I think that would be harder on someone, knowing something happened because THEY did nothing about it to stop it from happening.

message 19: by Heather (new)

Heather | 23 comments I agree that Yelena probably didn't have any choice...but the reason she acted I think is a little different. As you know any animal when backed into a corner and is feeling threatened will attack. I think that is what happened. I think she hid the knife as protection not with the intent to kill, but to make it stop. The final act of being killed by Reyad and him moving to one of her friends was enough for her to act. As we know she had a very protective spirit about her especially when it came to others. The fact that she owned up to it and thought there wasn't another way to get out of it speaks loud of her character.

message 20: by Kristen (new)

Kristen Harvey | 511 comments That makes a lot of sense Heather, it was right of her to protect herself and even if it got out of hand like it did, she would have been justified in her actions.

message 21: by Meme (new)

Meme (mstylp) | 519 comments Kristen wrote: "That makes a lot of sense Heather, it was right of her to protect herself and even if it got out of hand like it did, she would have been justified in her actions. "

I have to say that I definitely agree with you, there is only so much one person can take before they snap. I'm not sure I would have lasted as long as she did to tell the truth.

message 22: by Heather (new)

Heather | 23 comments Honestly I don't know if I could either. As we know she has volumes of strength that I wish that I had!

message 23: by Meme (new)

Meme (mstylp) | 519 comments Tracy wrote: "Heather wrote: "Honestly I don't know if I could either. As we know she has volumes of strength that I wish that I had!"

You're stronger than you think. The Yelena inside you is just waiting to b..."

Very true Tracy you never know just how you are going to act in a situation when it comes up.

message 24: by Erga (new)

Erga (aquawoman23) | 6 comments I think Yelena didn't really care what would happen to her after she killed reyad because the act of murdering him gave her justice. She just didn't want any other girls getting hurt by him like she did. And also I am not sure about this but if she would state that it was an act merely from self defense she would still be in jail because it's a dictatorship country and she killed a general's son which she would not be forgiven for I am sure.