Harry Potter Contest discussion

TEMPTED...

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:14AM) (new)

Rebecca | 5 comments Hmmm.... this concept intrigues me! I have read a grand total of about 50 pages of Harry Potter in my life, and I was very content in knowing that my grand total would probably never reach 51. BUT, I cannot resist a challenge. Especially not a reading challenge. ESPECIALLY not a children's lit reading challenge.

Guess what Sarah? I think it's on!

I say THINK because my participation hinders on my ability to get the books from the library, because I don't have $80 million to drop on 20,000 Harry Potter books.

I will inform you of my potential progress in the near future.
~Rebecca

message 2: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:15AM) (new)

Rebecca | 5 comments Guess what, it IS on. I got the first two books from the library and polished off book one yesterday and today. I was surprised to discover it was NOTHING like the "harry potter" I started reading a few years ago. I think I'd been reading a fake knock-off version. I posted about it on the Sorcerer's Stone discussion page. I hope I can find in an old closet somewhere, because it would be funny to have.

Books: 1 down 5 to go.
Pages: 309/3,411 (YIKES!)

So this means I have to average about 90 pages a night, to make it by July 13th. That would be daunting on its own, but doable. However, I expect to become VERY busy in about a week, and if I want to be done by then I'd have to read about 340 pages a night. That's not going to happen. So, I'm gonna keep churning through and just see what happens.

How is everybody else doing?

message 3: by Kristie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:16AM) (new)

Kristie (kristie621) Rebecca mentioned this group to me after reading a posting of mine that I'm in the midst of rereading the series. My plan was just to reread them before Book 7 arrives July 21, but I can try to finish them a little earlier. I started reading Sorcerer's Stone on May 26th, though, so do I need to be done by July 11? ;)

I'm currently on page 75 of the trade paper edition of Prisoner of Azkaban.

message 4: by Kristie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:17AM) (new)

Kristie (kristie621) I'll be thrilled if I can finish them all by the 11th, 13th, or 21st...especially since I have to take a short break as soon as I receive my copy of Siren Song (2nd in a children's/young adult trilogy by Anne Ursu), hopefully with the next few days.

Mostly I'm along for the ride, but I'll definitely treat myself to some good ice cream if I can finish in time!

message 5: by Rebecca (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:28AM) (new)

Rebecca | 5 comments oh my goodness, kids! I have yet to start book 4, I don't think I'm going to make it! EEK!

Books: 3/6
Pages: 1,109/3,411

Yea... so that leaves about 2,000 pages with 10 days to go. I would be happy if I could finish them in time for book 7 to come out, but that would still be around 130 pages a night... which sounds a bit burdensome.

I'm just afraid it will be hard to avoid spoilers once the last book comes out. I made the mistake of reading the back cover of Mugglenet.Com's What Will Happen in Harry Potter 7 Who Lives Who Dies Who Falls in Love and How Will the Adventure Finally End : (

message 6: by Kristie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:28AM) (new)

Kristie (kristie621) I'm glad I'm about 200 pages into Phoenix (trade paper edition), because I just saw a TV ad that shows the movie as opening on the 11th, not the 13th. Yikes! I have tentative plans to see it on the 22nd with a couple of friends (it'll be too crazy to see it here opening weekend), but now I might see if we can move it up.

message 7: by Ashlet (new)

Ashlet | 2 comments i have yet read 4 parts only.omg! i'm not able to find the 5th part in the lib.!

message 8: by Aleksandra (new)

Aleksandra Morel I just started reading this with my son. Both of us are on book 1. :))) Am I behind or what?