Oly Reads discussion

Book Talk > Television ripped from books

Comments Showing 1-19 of 19 (19 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Agathafrye | 751 comments Mod
I was watching this new, kind of crappy show called "Journeyman" the other night, and it struck me how much it was ripped off from "The Time Traveler's Wife" by Audrey Niffenegger. This in turn got me to wondering just how often TV rips off books for subject matter. What other shows remind you of books you've read?

message 2: by Jackie "the Librarian" (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Jackie "the Librarian" | 259 comments Mod
I don't know about television, but I'm always worried when I see they are making a movie out of a book I liked. I think "what are they going to screw up this time?" And usually, they do screw it up. Unless it's a Jane Austen book, for some reason! Or Dickens, and I don't even like Dickens.

A few examples of horrible movies from good books:
Because of Winn-Dixie
Ella Enchanted
101 Dalmations (the live-action one, because the animated one ROCKS!)
Dune
Nancy Drew
Eragon

message 3: by Agathafrye (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

I was wondering about Eragon. I had a feeling it was going to be bad. I heard that the movie they just put out based on "The Dark is Rising" was actually pretty good. How did you feel about the Lord of the Rings movies?

PS- Hi, Jackie!

message 4: by Agathafrye (new)

I've been getting into Masterpiece Theatre lately. Anyone a fan? I just watched Jane Eyre, and now I'm watching Jane Austen's Persuasion. I lament that I didn't get into these great shows earlier in my life, but I intend to make up for lost time now.

message 5: by Judy (new)

Judy (jpitchford) | 40 comments I'm slightly ashamed to admit this - especially since I am a librarian - but I have totally avoided EVER reading Jane Austen. But I have a really good reason... as a young child, I watched a movie version of Jane Eyre and it scared the living crap out of me. Like, I had nightmares. I have no idea what it was that struck my terror cord, but at the tender age of 45, I still can't bring myself to read ANYTHING by her. Now that ya'll think I am in desperate need of counseling...

As for Masterpiece Theater, love most of their productions!

A decent show "ripped" from a book series is 'Blood Ties' on Lifetime. It's based on books by Tanya Huff. Detective meets Vampire - they join forces and solve crimes. The characters on the show are true to the books, IMHO. Not sure if the show will last since the ratings have been only so-so.

Judy

message 6: by Agathafrye (last edited Feb 25, 2009 02:34AM) (new)

Judy, you might want to try watching the Masterpiece Theatre versions of Austen's stuff- it just started last night with Persuasion, and it's going to carry on for another few weeks I believe. Don't feel bad- I don't think I had ever read Jane Eyre (unless I read it when I was young and forgot, which is a possibility) until I saw the MT version of it recently. Blood Ties sound interesting- I'm upping my cable package this week so that I can watch the final season of the Wire without waiting for it to come out on DVD, so maybe I'll check it out. I have noticed a lot of new vampire shows coming out lately. I think it's because of Stephenie Meyers New Moon series.

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 19 comments I am so sad I don't have TV. The Aberdeen library put together this little Jane Austen display with a flyer advertising the J.A-athon on Masterpiece Theatre. It totally whet my appetite for some adaptations, but alas. No TV.
As for the Dark is Rising movie, I thought it was pretty bunk. It looked really cool, but they cut so much out of the story that it kindof didn't make any sense. They never described who the old one were or what they were doing. And the boy in the snow globe was just too much. Big disappointment. Golden Compass was a bit better. Speaking of Stephanie Meyer, they're making a movie of Twilight, of course.

message 8: by Agathafrye (new)

Don't be sad- it's such a time waster. You can come over whenever you want, Jenny, and I'll Tivo the thing you want to watch. I'm going to start having "The Wire" parties on Sunday nights to justify my paying extra for HBO. I didn't like "The Dark is Rising" book all that much, so I haven't been on fire to go see the movie. I would like to see "The Golden Compass" one of these days. Cleo is amped up for the "Twilight" movie. She'll be waiting in line at the theater for that one, along with 5,000 other adolescent girls (and Jenny).

message 9: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristis) | 48 comments Me Love Jane Eyre! But man, those Bronte's had issues...

message 10: by Agathafrye (new)

Do tell! I had no idea. So, it sounds like Jane Eyre is loosely based on Charlotte Bronte's life?

message 11: by Kristi (new)

Kristi (kristis) | 48 comments Poor, Sensitive, Romantic souls. I don't think any of them lived past their thirties. Emily and Anne dying of TB, and Charlotte in childbirth at age 39. Branwell (brother) also died of TB and apparently had a taste for the opium. Some literary critics believe that Heathcliff (Wuthering Heights) shares a few of the characteristics of Branwell.

Charlotte did spend some time as a governess and I'm sure that shaped in part the character of Jane.

message 12: by Agathafrye (new)

Very interesting. Thanks for teaching me something new, Kristi!

message 13: by A.J. (new)

A.J. (ajash) | 32 comments I just finished watching The Dresden Files on DVD. Interesting series, too bad SciFi canned it after one season. I haven't read the books, though. Has anyone read them, and if so, how do they compare with the television version? Just curious...

And I'm currently TiVo-ing the Austen series. I lurve me some Austen! I'm probably gonna save them all and spend a whole weekend overindulging on the neverending English accents and angst. Wheeeee!

message 14: by Agathafrye (new)

Sounds like the kinds of books King would know about. I'm sure he'll poke his head in here eventually and let you know. I'm a little miffed because my recording of "Persuasion" was preempted by a half hour to tape "Family Guy" for Cleo. Which she somehow has set up to tape every five minutes, because that's how often "Family Guy" is on these days. Grrr.

message 15: by Meridee (new)

Meridee | 12 comments I love Dexter on television but can only see it on DVD (shout out to Netflix)so I am currently enjoying the novel-Darkly Dreaming Dexter by Jeff Lindsay.

message 16: by Judy (new)

Judy (jpitchford) | 40 comments I just finished Darkly Dreaming Dexter and really liked it. I'm ready to try more Dexter books abd am anxiously awaiting the first disc from Netflix. Isn't the new Season of Dexter coming to "regular" TV this season?

message 17: by Agathafrye (new)

I'm excited about Dexter, too. I've got it in my Nexflix queue. I really like Michael C. Hall, the actor that plays him.

message 18: by Agathafrye (new)

Also- while Family Guy has its moments, the fact that it's on constantly when my teenage daughter is around makes it ultimately irritating to me.

message 19: by A.J. (new)

A.J. (ajash) | 32 comments Just watched Persuasion-good but I think they took some liberties. I have it on Tivo if you want to see the whole thing, Agathafrye!

I wish I could watch Dexter. I've tried; the premise creeps me out too much. But I feel like my status as a cool person is in doubt because I can't bring myself to root for a mass murderer. Just me? 'K. Never mind.

Family Guy? Eh. Can be funny. Can be obnoxious.