Tumblr Book Club discussion

In the Woods (Dublin Murder Squad, #1)
This topic is about In the Woods
October: In The Woods by Tana French

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Tammi (MrsOptimistic) | 32 comments Mod
So we're go for October! We'll start talking on the 30th. :)

Happy reading!

message 2: by Emily (new)

Emily | 4 comments Gah I hope they sell this at Target, all the actual bookstores near me shut down...

I got mine at the Target here. Hope you can find it.

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy (deanwinchesthair) I've owned my copy for ~3 years or more i think but haven't read it in just as long, so hey. I barely remember a thing about it, just know i thought it was spooky. Looking forward to it.

message 5: by Desi (new) - added it

Desi | 3 comments Just ran to the library and picked it up today, looking very promising and spooky!

message 6: by Tammi (last edited Oct 06, 2011 02:57PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

I just finished it, it really does draw you in.

I am seeing a trend with the endings of her books though.

Lily (DeafStargirl) Can someone explain something to me? I am confused.

I am in the first chapter, and there's a few paragraphs talking about the 3 little boys and what the police found and so on and such. Then suddenly BAM, there's a paragraph that starts with "when I was found I was wearing blue denim shorts..." HUH?!

Why did it suddenly go from third person to first person? What am I missing here?

The narrator is the one of the three that went missing, he was the only one found.

Lily (DeafStargirl) Soo... the 3 that the book started out talking about, is this a whole different set of 3 kids where only one was found and it's basically a repeat of what happened in HIS childhood or what?

Read. You'll find out. :P

message 11: by Lily (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lily (DeafStargirl) I just (FINALLY) finished reading it. It was OK. I am looking forward to what others have to say about it here. If anyone is interested I did write my full opinion about the book in my review for it, and I didn't put any spoilers (that I am aware of) in it. http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

How is everyone else coming along with it? :)

message 13: by Tammi (last edited Nov 04, 2011 06:54AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Oh hey. Ha!

Discussion! I guess.

This was the second book by French I had read so I had a feel for her writing style already. I like how her characters are very real, flaws and all.

Honestly, I expected more creepiness what with the shoes full of blood and all that from the story at the beginning and was disappointed by just an ordinary murder case that just happened to be in the same place. I liked the banter between Rob and Cassie, until he freaked out with her anyway. Honestly I preferred Cassie's character to Rob but that might have been intentional in how it was written.

The ending was incredibly disappointing. It might just be how she likes to end books since The Likeness ended heartbreakingly depressing too. And I'm surprised she didn't give ANY hints or conclusion to Rob/Adam's childhood mystery. After I finished I sat there thinking "What the hell happened?!" for about ten minutes.

Overall, it was an alright book to pass the time but not spectacular.

message 14: by Lily (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lily (DeafStargirl) I totally agree with your assessment, Tammi!

Joanna (shotofsalvation) | 4 comments I was pretty disappointed with this book. It started off quite good but the so called surprise or shocking result of who had murdered the girl wasn't shocking to me at all. It was obvious and even that wouldn't have been so bad if the author hadn't tried to make it a "twist ending".

I would have been alright without finding out about his missing friends if the murder case they were working was interesting. Unfortunately it wasn't and therefore the only redeeming factor of the book hinged on what had happened to his friends and we never got an answer.

I was also irritated with how blatantly the main character changed personalty wise throughout the book. A few changes due to stressors and whatnot would be realistic but turning him into a complete douche bag? Meh.

That all being said I did like her writing style, dialogue wise and her descriptions were nicely done, not over the top so as to take away from the story, what little of a story there was anyway.

message 16: by Lily (new) - rated it 2 stars

Lily (DeafStargirl) I agree, Joanna!

unread topics | mark unread