Armchair Sailors discussion

Ships > HMS Warrior

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Debbie Moorhouse Powered by steam and sail, with an iron hull, HMS Warrior was the pride of the Victorian fleet.

Read more about her here:

http://www.hmswarrior.org/

See my photos here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/buffysqui...

message 2: by Glenn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Glenn C. | 23 comments Wish you could have taken some shots inside!
Great pics tho! It sounds like they made poor provisions for 'coaling' the ship...passing panniers of coal thru ports for two days sheesh!
When were the first paddle-wheel / sail ships constructed? I remember reading 'The Sea Wolf' and there was mention of such a ship that was a whaler, but I really only recall such a combination mentioned during the Civil War -aka- The War of Northern Aggression as we call it heah down South :)

message 3: by Melissa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Melissa (melissaharl) | 21 comments Yes, I remember visiting this ship in Portsmouth the same day I made my pilgrimage to the Victory. The Warrior seemed so very, very long. I remember thinking how high the ship's side walls (WHAT'S THE TERM?) rose from her deck.

message 4: by Debbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Debbie Moorhouse It was very dark below decks, and I only had my Canon Ixus with the teeny flash back then, so there wasn't much chance of photos coming out. The gun deck is laid out very fine, though.

If/when we go back, I'll try and get some pictures of the interior. I have a better camera now :). Although the flash is still paltry, I can change the ISO setting (giving the effect of a faster film) for shooting in low light.

I think the part of the ship's sides that rises above the deck is the bulwarks. Pronounced in my part of the world somewhat like "bullocks" :).

message 5: by Debbie (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Debbie Moorhouse There seems to have been a steam vessel called the Kent built in the 1790's, but I can't find any information on whether she (it?) had paddle wheels and / or sails.

message 6: by Melissa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Melissa (melissaharl) | 21 comments Now I've consulted that wonderful handbook by Patrick O'Brian, Men of War: Life in Nelson's Navy, in search of the name of the side walls rising alongside the upper deck. My memory from reading books (I truly am an armchair sailor) brings up references to the rail on top, the hammocks stowed there, the gangways leading fore and aft along the edges, and so on, but not the part in question.

Hull is the general term, of course, and I know bulwark for at least the moveable internal walls ...

Anyway, this elegant little book has a cross-section of the Victory on pp. 20-21, and models of frigates on pp. 23-25, with lots of labels for the lubberly, though naught for this.