Artsy-Fartsy discussion

Art and Artists > Music, Art, and Writing

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dee (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) Like most artists, music is a part of my creative process. Not just when I am creating art, but also when I write.

I usually put all my Loreena McKennitt CD's on a "random play," and fall under her mystical spell.

What is your favorite music that gets your creative juices flowing?

Dee Marie

message 2: by Kizzy (new)

Kizzy (kizzyanel) | 15 comments Mod
It depends on what I'm working on I've listened to everything from Loreena McKennitt to Nora Jones, David Bowie, Shakira, and things like the Underworld soundtrack and Evenesence.

I've heard, but can't provide any sources that there is a theory that some people can see music as colors, where each note or sound will correspond to a different color.

For me I think I think I respond to music so strongly when I paint because I've been dancing for so long and the music actually facilitates my work. Sometimes it can even change the way I approach a painting: changing the length and heaviness of my brush strokes. Probably because I'm trying to dance and paint at the same time lol.

message 3: by Dee (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) Oh, dancing has always been my first love too. I took my first ballet, tap, and jazz lessons when I was just four-years-old. My mom and aunt loved to shop. They enrolled me in dance classes so they could spend leisurely hours shopping without my whining that I was too tired and wanted to go home.

I too love dancing with words to music...we are kindred spirits!

As to music influencing a storyline, while writing a complicated battle scene for Sons of Avalon: Merlin's Prophecy, I angst over the writing of that chapter for several weeks. That is until I finally found my inspiration in the first CD by Fall Out Boy. The band's driving beat drove the action to the battle scenes.

Like you, I have also changed the mood of an art piece form the tone of the music I was listening to at the time.

Oh, and be careful about dancing and painting at the same time...remember what your mom told you about running with scissors...the same applies to paintbrushes...you could poke your eye out! ;]

Dee Marie

message 4: by Karey (new)

Karey (kareyshane) Hello Dancing Dahluns, you've got another kindred spirit! Woo woo! (To quote Dee).

I've gotta run, but while writing Secret Speakers I listened almost exclusively to Consider the Lillies, by the Tabernacle Choir of all things. It puts me in such a peaceful, trance-like state that it almost feels as though the words were given to me and all I needed to do was put my hands on the keyboard to discover what was going to happen next.

(That is, after all the research and planning took place...)

Then, for the fun, creative stuff, I LOVE Michael...oh what's his name? I can't believe it. I've got to go run and look...Ha! It's not even Michael. It's Steve Winwood's High Life album. I danced around the house for an entire three or four songs a few weeks ago, then popped it in my Subaru so I could drive through the car wash with the music blasting, heart still thumping from dancing.

message 5: by Dee (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) You are too funny Karey.

I too have specific CDs that I refer to as "going to my happy place" music.

My current "happy place" music is Maroon 5's latest album. This is the second summer in a row that it is constantly blaring as I ride around town, in my silver Mustang. Much to the cringe of the locals and the delight of the college students, when I pull to a stoplight with my windows down.

I cannot imagine a creative world without music!

Oh, as a side note, I am confident that I can speak for the group, as we wish you the very best with your eye surgery tomorrow. Please come back to us as soon as possible. W we shall all miss you terribly until you return.

Dee Marie

message 6: by Karey (new)

Karey (kareyshane) Thanks Dee, and all in absentia. It's a strangely wonderful experience to know that there are so many who I've never met personally but whom I've come to appreciate so much, who are wishing me well on something so important to me.

message 7: by Karey (new)

Karey (kareyshane) P.S. I'll definitely be playing some more Steve Winwood when I'm "Back in the 'Eye' Life Again!"

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) My newest music to write to...the soundtrack to "Twilight". I will be curious as to how the music influences the storyline to the second book in my "Sons of Avalon" series.

message 9: by G.R. (new)

G.R. (grcollia) Surprisingly (well, I was surprised anyway), whilst writing Utamaro Revealed, I listened to the music to '4400' over and over. That, and the theme to 'Oblivion', the PS3 game. Neither of which are even remotely Japanese. They are rather dramatic though, and there's a lot of theatrical drama in the book.

Whilst writing The Wonderful Demise of Benjamin Arnold Guppy, I listened to Ryuichi Sakamoto... in particular his 1996 CD. And every now and then Pavarotti got a look in. I don't see the connection there at all... the book makes me laugh and 1996 makes me cry. Although, I suppose the one might have balanced the other to enable me to go on writing.

When I paint I play Bowie (especially 'Wild is the Wind'), The Cure, opera, Beethoven, Chopin, and Ryuichi Sakamoto. And I sing along :o)

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) OH, I love Bowie :]

message 11: by Kizzy (new)

I was wondering how the Twilight soundtrack went. I was reluctant to see the movies or read the book, but ended up at the movies, now I've seen it twice and am looking to go get the books on my day off. The soundtrack seemed like it might be worth a gander. I'm glad to hear you endorse it Dee, it makes me hopeful that the purchase will be a good one.

Now Bowie is one of my all time favorite music artists. It all started with a little movie called Labyrinth and my Dad's obsession with Ziggy Stardust in his teens.

message 12: by Dee (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) I LOVE the Twilight Soundtrack...I play it around the clock, to the point that my earbuds have become an umbilical cord to my creativity.

I am so possessed with the soundtrack, that I also downloaded it from iTunes (it is the only place that I could find that included the bonus track of Rob Pattinson’s “Let Me Sign.”)

And…yes there is more…I purchased an additional CD to keep in my Mustang :]

So, yessssssssss I do endorse the Twilight soundtrack!

message 13: by Kizzy (new)

LOL good to hear!

message 14: by Dee (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) :]

message 15: by Kizzy (new)

I finally got that Twilight Soundtrack. It is everything I hoped it would be, but it's too short!

Dee wrote: "I LOVE the Twilight Soundtrack...I play it around the clock, to the point that my earbuds have become an umbilical cord to my creativity.

I am so possessed with the soundtrack, that I also downl..."

message 16: by Dee (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) Hey Kizzy,
You have to go to iTunes and get the bonus tracks :]

message 17: by Kizzy (new)

hmmm... maybe I'll do that

message 18: by Dee (new)

Dee Marie (dee_marie) If only for Rob's song...Let Me Sign...

Oh and Bella's Lullaby...I am listening to it as I type :]