Chick Lit discussion

Jodi Picoult books?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) I see SO many people reading Jodi Picoult's books these days! The bus on the way to work, the cafeteria at lunch...I even saw someone reading one while walking the other day! My mom loves them, which has made me a bit leary, since she tends to like books that I find kind of boring (and she finds my books "too risque"...). But since so many people like them, I think I must be missing out. Is anyone here a big fan? Can you recommend a good one for me to try (because it looks like there are quite a few)?

message 2: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) I started with My Sister's Keeper and I've been hooked with the others I've read. Since it was my first, I like to recommend it as others' first as well.

I also enjoyed The Pact, Nineteen Minutes, and Second Glance. I just picked up a few more of her books at Goodwill and plan to read them pretty soon.

In my opinion, her books always seem to tackle a big issue (ethical, medical, family, etc.). She does a great job pulling you in the story and having you fall in love with the characters as well. Usually, there's a nice big twist to throw everything off and tissues are not a bad idea to have handy. For me, when I start one of her books I know it's going to be at least a day before I'm good to do anything else. Once I start, I just can't seem to stop.

message 3: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) Meant for that to read "can't seem to stop reading" (not crying which was the subject of the previous sentence).

message 4: by Ashley (new)

Ashley  (angelashly) | 30 comments I agree with Ikiwiki her books always tackle emotional issues and make you love the characters and get invested in what happens.

I have loved the ones that I have read.

The Pact, Nineteen Minutes, and My Sister's Keeper. With The Pact being the best.

I also own The Tenth Circle and Picture Perfect but have not read it.

Ashley (bookworm84) (bookworm84) I have read most of her books. My favourites are My Sisters Keeper, The Pact and Keeping Faith. There is a Jodi Picoult group I belong too that you should look into joining. It's called the Jodi Picoult Books Reading Group.

message 6: by Jen B (new)

Jen B (jennybee618) Thanks to both of you. Looks like I have some reading to do! :) I love the typical fluffy, chick lit fare, but after a few Shopaholic-type books I'm always looking for something deeper and a little different, so it seems like Jodi's books might fit the bill.

Not like I ever need an excuse to pay a visit to the bookstore, but now I've got one! ;)

message 7: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) Agreed, Nikki. I need a break between Picoult books and they are perfect for curling up in a warm, cozy spot and just settling in for a good read. Her books are definitely a rollercoaster of emotions for me.

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melissa6705) | 6 comments I have only read My Sisters Keeper and I loved it, I plan on reading "The Pact" and "House Rules" so far I have only heard good things about them.

message 9: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I read Handle with Care and really enjoyed it.