Book Buying Addicts Anonymous discussion

picky book buyers

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ScottK (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

ScottK OK so I am the type of book buyer that once I find a PB book that I really want I will look at every single copy they have and get the most pristine looking one I can find, I am talking cover ,pages etc ...please tell me I am not the only one.

message 2: by Lori (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Lori (tnbbc) am i missing something? what is PB?
(dont mind me, i just finished working a long ass 12 hours, my brain is in sleep mode..body to soon follow!)

message 3: by Steve (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Steve I'll have to say that I only care about the words on the pages!

message 4: by Cairnraiser (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Cairnraiser | 26 comments When I'm in an actual bookstore (a rare occurrence today as I usually order online), I too will scan all available copies of a book - both PB and HC - to get the finest copy.

Also I get the shivers, when I see people who break the spine of a new PB by twisting the book back on itself.

message 5: by Caroline (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Caroline I'm always careful to pick out the best copy, mainly because if I'm going to be buying something new I want to break it in myself. I don't want a damaged copy because I like books that are going to last. Used books are the exception to this, but I generally will only get them if they're in good enough condition to last without falling apart.

More and more I find myself wanting my books to look good on the shelf while I'm not reading them, so I've been buying more hardcovers than paperbacks. I know it's a bit silly, but I do it just the same. I like having books that look like they've been read, but not books that look like they've been abused.

message 6: by Rachel (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Rachel i totally pick out the best copy. i do it for dvd's too, especially the ones with the slip cover. i don't think it's weird, but then again i'm pretty much OCD so...

message 7: by whichwaydidshego (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

whichwaydidshego Oh my gosh, Scott, I'm TOTALLY that way!! But for any book I buy. I dig through them all for, as you say, the most pristine copy! Obviously when buying used this isn't often possible, but when it's new I'm a scavenger.

In fact, I won a contest (I hadn't even realized I'd entered) and got to buy the first copy of the latest Harry Potter... and I insisted they go farther into the box because the top copies had travel wear!!!

message 8: by Kate (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Kate | 18 comments I do the dame thing. I have to buy a pristine copy. The first one on the shelf will never do. I think it is strange, but then again, I like my books to look nice.

message 9: by ScottK (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

ScottK ok I feel so much better knowing that I am not the only person who does this ...even if I am feeling thrifty and have a used book store near me ( which I do not at the present) I still look for the best of the used.

Plus I have sooooo many rules when borrowing my books, it tends to be a deterent for borrowing(which may subconsiously be my plan).
no dog earing pages
no eating
no taking it to the beach,etc etc etc.

My book pickyness has tended to make me the butt of many jokes among my friends. When I lived in Portland,Or I used to love to go to Powell's cuz I change in my books for store credit(they used to do cash too but not anymore I don't think). Even the guys at Powell's would laugh at me and ask if I had actually read the books. At times if they had read the book they would quiz me.

message 10: by Foxthyme (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:25PM) (new)

Foxthyme | 48 comments Long ago someone gave me heck for turning over a page to mark my spot. Then along the way other booklovers helped teach me respect for books. By the time I was an adult I handled books with loving care...well except for the badly placed food fingerprint as I turned a page while eating lunch. Still my fatal book flaw.

But I love to buy the best book possible at the bookstore. I'll go back a book or two on the shelf to find one that is the least handled and worn.

Of course, at the used bookstore, I'm looking for those special finds and will often go for a ragged book if that's what's there. Boy it can be hard to find some books!

Even so, I was practically heartbroken when I leant out my (originally used-bookstore) copy of Geek Love to someone who took it on vacation, beat the crap out of it, brought it back finally, and said, Blah. Only managed to get through the first couple pages.

Man. You don't put one of someones fave books, leant at that, through a meatgrinder and then put it down!