Literature & Film discussion

1 view
Film/Book Suggestions

Comments Showing 1-50 of 85 (85 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Kimley | 201 comments Mod
This is the place to put your suggestions for monthly readings/screenings.

message 2: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Manny, that sounds good to me. As many of you know I'm on a Herzog kick.

Other ideas...

Anything Kubrick or Hitchcock especially since these have been much discussed lately and we all seem to enjoy them.

A lot of great "pulp" stuff seems to work well on film - Chandler, Hammett, Goodis, Woolrich, Highsmith (Purple Noon anyone?)

The Innocents/Turn of the Screw sounds great - I've read the book but haven't seen the film.

I love things like Macbeth/Kurosawa's Throne of Blood. Another culture's take on a classic is always interesting.

This is definitely a topic rich with options for discussion...

message 3: by brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

brian   herzog has always wanted to direct coetzee's Waiting for the Barbarians. i gave that book 5 stars. absolutely love it. it'd be perfect for herzog. too bad kinski ain't around to participate.

and yeah, Throne of Blood is my favorite filmed shakespeare. the final scene! mifune shot with 500 arrows! it's totally real! the guy was wearing sheets of armor under his suit! (a few of the arrows were pulled out with string and show in reverse) amazing. anybody wanna compare macbeth done by kurosawa welles and polanski?

purple noon rocks! delon at his sexiest. rene clement is underrated.

message 4: by Edan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Edan | 1 comments I don't think I should be in this group, as I don't watch movies...!

message 5: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

Edan, I just invited everyone in my friends list so please don't feel obligated. But you know we'd all love to have you here!

message 6: by brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:15PM) (new)

brian   yeah, edan, you can be the resident voice of dissent. woo-hoo!

message 7: by Tosh (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Tosh | 68 comments Also Eden you can comment on the books that these films were later made... So it won't be total film geek stuff. At least I hope not.

My original thought was that Hitchcock made great films out of really interesting novels or stories. The cliche is that the novel is not that good, and the director made the story better, etc. Well, in some cases that maybe true, but Hitchcock used really strong original material. I think in theory this particular group can really do some serious studies on the books that influenced or made the films.

I think there are plenty of film websites to argue what director is the best, but hopefully we will stay on subject regarding the books behind the film.

For instance anyone read the Orson Welles' Mr Arkadin novel that comes with the Critierion DVD set? It's interesting packaging to include the novel with the DVD. They did the same with "The Man Who Fell To Earth," which I haven't read yet.

message 8: by Tosh (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Tosh | 68 comments In the late 80's I started a film-club of sorts at Beyond Baroque Literary Arts Center in Venice, California. It ran for maybe five or six years, and it was very romantic notion to me.

I only showed films in 16mm, and we had no proper film booth or sound equipment - it was very rare films shown in a very punk rock set of mind.

The thing that was extremely important to me was to show films in a literary organization, because I always felt that there was a strong connection between the projected image and the text on the page. It's obvious Godard played with this notion through out his career.

What I wanted to do was to actually show the films in that context. Also I tried to get writers to make comments about the films, etc. Probably the most successful night in that theme is when I had Dennis Cooper give an introduction to a Robert Bresson screening. Bresson is a major influence for Dennis and his work.

Also I always felt that poetry is the big step brother to the cinema. Cocteau always thought of film as writing on (projected) light. And I often think of film in that fashion as well.

I think Kimley is going to propose a certain book with a certain film - and I am really excited about that. And in all seriousness I think this group can really discover the relationship between literature and film. From the silly surface stuff to the surreral underground that ties the text to the image, etc.

message 9: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:16PM) (new)

Tosh, thank you for so eloquently putting forth what I hope this group will be!

I was lucky enough to have attended many/most of Tosh's screenings at Beyond Baroque and it was a real treat. I discovered quite a lot of new films and writers. Not least of which is one of my obsessions - Feuillade and Fantomas.

message 10: by Tosh (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Tosh | 68 comments Great Suggestion Verly Girly (I am hoping that is your real name!), the books you mentioned above are really great, and they made fantastic films. Have you seen Visconti's version of "Postman Always Rings Twice?" It's great, but so is the Lana Turner version as well. The Bob Rafelson version (with Jack Nicholson) is ok, sort of a combination of the American early version and Visconti.

But yeah noir films and novels are great - and it would be fun to look into the literary sources, as well as seeing the films in that context.

Kimley, why don't you announce your book/film and see how it goes with the gang. I am personally all for it.

message 11: by brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

brian   ah... visconti's Ossessione is great. i prefer it to the lana turner or jack nicholson version.

visconti is a great fucking filmmaker and an interesting figure for this group: The Leopard is a great film version of a classic book. he also filmed Thomas Mann's Death in Venice...

we need to start a berlin alexanderplatz discussion over here. i've seen the film, but never read the book. anyone?

message 12: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Verly Girly, thanks for a great suggestion! I saw your post last night and was too tired to respond but I'm with Tosh and Brian in my love for these films and the bulk of noir fiction.

I think Visconti is there with Hitchcock and Kubrick in his impeccable ability to choose literary sources and successfully adapt them to the screen - Ossessione, the Leopard and the beautiful Death in Venice are all some of my faves!

I was just looking at Visconti's profile on imdb and I've never seen his Stranger. Brian, I know that's one of your favorite books and I'm guessing you've seen this film. How is it?

I think it would definitely be fun to read Cain's Postman and discuss all 3 versions of the film. I'm with Tosh & Brian here - Visconti's is my favorite then the Lana Turner, then the Jack.

So, yeah, let's do Postman for December's reading/screening!

And Brian (and any other Fassbinder fans), if you happen to make it to NYC in the next few months, they are showing a newly restored Berlin Alexanderplatz at P.S.1 - doing a parallel screening of all 14 episodes in 14 different screening rooms. Not quite sure how that will work but I've never seen it so I may have to go check it out.

message 13: by Tosh (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

Tosh | 68 comments They just re-released the novel berlin alexanderplatz. We got it in the bookstore yesterday. But man is the print in this edition tiny and badly designed. It's going to be hard on the eyes. I know, I sound old, but really the print in the book is very faint or light - and it's a big novel of sorts.

Postman Always Ring Twice - sounds good to me!

message 14: by brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:17PM) (new)

brian   aahhhh!!! kimley! you must go down to PS1 (i love that place) and see Berlin Alexanderplatz. it's such a great movie. i've always wanted to read the book, but it's kind of the reverse situation i have with lolita: i don't wanna ruin the beautiful cruel and tragic images fassbinder showed me with doblin's descriptions.

do you remember about eight years ago they showed every fassbinder movie at the MOMA? one of the great months of my life (second, perhaps, to when they did the same thing with bunuel at the anthology film archives about 10 years back) -- if you go see Alexanderplatz, we can both read the book and compare/contrast...

i've always wanted to film the longest, most bloated, most obscure art movie of all time. i'd call it Fanny and Alexanderplatz.
yes!

message 15: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Fanny and Alexanderplatz! Love that!

Robert, what's Candy? I don't know the book or film.

Who directed Slaughterhouse Five? I haven't seen that.

Tosh, as a graphic designer, nothing pisses me off more than bad typography! Though I wonder if it's just a bad print job - not enough black ink? I haven't seen the book yet.

message 16: by Tosh (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Tosh | 68 comments Terry Southern wrote the novel Candy with some other crazed writer - and I don't know the director of the film?

The book just came out yesterday. I think the print job is bad, but maybe it's my eyes!

message 17: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Oh, and Brian, I'd love to conquer the beast that is Berlin Alexanderplatz with you. Though perhaps after we've tamed War & Peace. And I completely understand that hesitation of going backwards from a beloved film to the literary source. I'm currently in the same situation with Clockwork Orange. Those retina burning visuals will be impossible to ignore while reading the book...

message 18: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Hey, I'm a big Gilmore Girls fan as well! Don't knock it until you've seen it. Some of the best literary, film and music pop cultural references ever on TV. And Norman Mailer was on the show - yes, Norman Mailer! as well as Sparks, Sonic Youth and a whole host of people you'd never think you'd see on a TV show.

Marshall, a Visconti month would be fun indeed though I'm not sure everyone would be up to reading all those books in one month. I've read them all already so I could probably fake it without rereading though it's been awhile.

Everyone, what do the rest of you think?

We can also just start a Visconti topic. I definitely don't want the monthly screenings to dictate conversation here. I just wanted them to be a starting point and keep the group active.

message 19: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

One more Gilmore Girls aside and then I'll shut up - Rory falls in love with a boy who steals her copy of Howl, marks it up and gives it back to her! Why didn't I meet boys like that in high school???

message 20: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

I suspect Brian is very much enjoying being the only boy over there. He's pulling the straight guy who takes Home Economics maneuver. A smart move that I've always thought was very under used.

message 21: by brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

brian   A. there was an instant, when i joined and posted on the Gilmore Girls book club, where i almost unchecked the update/feed box. i knew i'd catch some shit from you guys. but nope. i have nothing to hide. I AM A GILMORE GIRLS FAN! and damn proud of it. lemme explain: beyond what kimley pointed out (that, yes, in its prime it was an incredibly clever show with wild pop culture references and guest spots by yo la tengo, thurston moore, SPARKS!!!, norman mailer, etc), a simple show like that about a simpler life can somewhat tame the squirrels that are forever running around inside my head. alcohol, drugs, books, sex, and meditation cannot slow me down, ease my brain, or soothe my soul the way... (gulp)... the Gilmore Girls can. yeah. i'm serious.

B. i'm, of course, down for any and all visconti readings/screenings/discussions... for those unfamiliar with his particular brand of genius, you MUST watch ROCCO AND HIS BROTHERS (along with The Leopard, coppola's biggest influence - too big at times - on The Godfather) and LA TERRA TREMA (the greatest marxist film ever made!).

C. Noir month or the Cain book or whatever... is great. in fact, let's have a vote sometime soon so we can actually read something for this club... is it Clockwork Orange? Postman?

D. "Howl in your pocket" is some seriously goddamn genius shit, robert.

E. Sparks on your favorites, Tracy? you are a goddess.

message 22: by brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

brian   straight guy in Home Ec. -- love it!

message 23: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Brian, I've already gone ahead and played dictator and have chosen Clockwork Orange for November's Reading (of course we can start now since October is nearly over) and Postman for December's reading.

Never even occurred to me to take a vote - hmmm, what does that say about me??? But certainly if there's enough dissent, I'm more than happy to change it.

My experience in group situations is a lot of the time everyone voices an opinion but nobody makes an actual decision so I've just bullied my way to being the decision-maker...

But everyone, please pipe in and let me know how you'd like these monthly things to go forward.

Also, I've posted the "currently-reading" and "to-read" books at the bottom of our group home page.

message 24: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

And Brian, you're not the only guy who likes Gilmore Girls. My dad - a sportswriter, specifically boxing - loves the show as well.

message 25: by brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

brian   yes! i assumed robert meant an intervention for me as it was too 'girlish' or some other such nonsense. woo-hoo!

DO NOT see the last season. the creator and show runner left and it is pretty horrific.

and join the rory gilmore book club.

message 26: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:18PM) (new)

Marshall, my dad's name is Joe Rein. Knowing your literary tastes, I think you'd really like his stuff - very old school, Raymond Chandler-esque (in my opinion). I'll send you some more info via personal message since clearly in my expert moderation skills I've managed to completely divert this thread from any relevance whatsoever to our topic at hand.

But I am enjoying seeing people admit to their Gilmore Girls clandestine watching... I've been trying to get Tosh to watch it for years and not even my telling him that Sparks (his favorite band) was on could get him to do so. Perhaps now he'll reconsider though he's so anti-TV that I doubt it.

And yes, how cool is it that we have all these new faces here! For those new to the group, please don't be shy. Many of us have been friends for a while here on Goodreads but the great thing about these groups is getting some new blood/opinions/debates. Bring it on everyone!

message 27: by Robert (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Robert | 111 comments "Candy" is actually a pretty amusing novel and while the movie is an out-and-out mess, the last time I watched it, it was a little funnier than I remembered. Southern's son wrote a very interesting book called "The Candy Men" about the writing of the novel and its subsequent clashes with censorship.

message 28: by Melissa (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

Melissa Carroll | 2 comments Hi - my name is Melissa. I really like movie/book adaptations. Has anyone seen Mother Night, based on the Vonnegut book? Or read the Stephen King short story that was the basis for the recent film 1408?

message 29: by brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

brian   Blow Out is depalma, not carpenter. and it is waaaay better than antonioni's overwrought heavy-handed lumbering movie (with, yes, a few pretty terrific rather un-antonioni-esque scenes)... as an honorary frenchmen, tosh, you really should be more of a depalma fan... you do know that, don't you?

and schlondorff's Tin Drum is kind of a bore, but the lead kid is such a maniac (kind of an adolescent Klaus Kinski) that the movie is made fun. particularly the cabana scene... wow!

message 30: by brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

brian   yeah... i gotta agree with you robert. the mime tennis game in Blow Up is definitely the greatest parody of the 50's & 60's european art film...

oh wait. i don't think that was parody...

depalma rocks because he matches technical wizardry with a particularly cruel sense of humor. there's always a twinkle in his eye. something antonioni could've used...

message 31: by brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:19PM) (new)

brian   if i had to characterize depalma as a director of any kind of genre, it'd be the black comedy. definitely. yeah, he absolutely has a sense of humor. it's cruel and straight-faced, but, if you dig it... he's the funniest director since Buster Keaton. body double is hysterical. dressed to kill, hi mom!, greetings, PHANTOM OF THE PARADISE!!!, femme fatale, snake eyes (!!!), etc... yes, absolutely. to me, he's every bit as campy and funny as john waters.

and, yes, he is a bit earnest with regards to his new movie Redacted, but i kinda get it. depalma started as a seriously anti-establishment godard-loving child-of-the-60's revolutionary fuck-you filmmaker (see Hi Mom! it is pure 60's genius, with the greatest satire - ever- of white liberal guilt and racism. the Baby Be Black! sequence is pure goddamned genius. amazing) -- he'll do his hitchcockian comedy-thrillers, but, every now and then, (a la Casualties of War and Redacted) will try and say something important. now... i loathe the 'important' film -- i believe paul haggis is the anti-christ; or perhaps, the anti-god(ard) -- and believe depalma's at his best when he stays away from that sort of thing, but i kinda get his earnestness with Redacted, y'know? i feel the rage as well. although, i must admit, i expect the movie to be pretty damn bad.

watch Dressed to Kill as a pastiche, as a parody, as a black comedy... fuck it. just watch it to enjoy and laugh. it's amazing. one can feel the fun he's having, the twinkle in the eye, the sick laughter... when the powerdrill pulls from the wall in Body Double. shit, all the set pieces in that movie are depalma at his best. or dennis franz in blow out or dressed to kill? how can you not laugh? hooker with a heart of gold? michael caine in drag? trashy and sick and hysterical and genius. i can literally sense depalma behind the camera beaming, snickering, pulling the strings like a demented Twilight-Zone marionette-master... (whew. sorry, i can get carried away when wrriting about him)

as far as genius... i kinda think he is. Calle du Cinema did a poll of the greatest filmmakers of the 1990's... depalma won. they go absolutely apeshit over the guy... i stick by the french on this one. certainment!

message 32: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Melissa, welcome to the group!

Like Marshall, I saw Mother Night but don't really remember it all that well. I haven't read any Vonnegut - this site has made me painfully aware of my literary shortcomings...

I know there are several Vonnegut fans here though. Anyone know of any good film adaptations of his work? Robert, you mentioned Slaughterhouse Five.

I'm also not familiar with the Stephen King you mentioned but I know we have some King fans here as well - Manny, are you lurking here somewhere?

Now that we're getting a pretty diverse group here, I'll take Brian's advice and set up a system to vote for the monthly readings/screenings. So, everyone, keep your suggestions coming in and I'll take those and make a list for people to vote from for January and so on.

And again, everyone, feel free to start a topic on whatever you want to chat about!

message 33: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Brian, man I wish I could write like you! Love your passion. But I'm with Marshall in having missed the humor in DePalma. I've never been a big fan. Maybe I need to revisit some of these films with your words of wisdom in my ears and that twinkle in my eye...

message 34: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

I love The Dove! When my dad first saw it, during the first several minutes he actually thought that he had the uncanny natural ability to understand Swedish...

That film is hysterical!

message 35: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Bambi meets Godzilla? No, haven't seen or heard of it! Sounds beastly - in only the best way.

Marshall, good suggestion with Oscar & Lucinda. I'll put that on the voting list for January. It's good to mix things up! I've seen the film but haven't read the book though I've definitely considered reading him so yet more to add to my "to read" queue...

message 36: by brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

brian   i second Oscar and Lucinda if only to stare at cate blanchett for two hours. she is a goddess. i'm madly in love.

message 37: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

I'm looking forward to seeing Blanchett in that new Todd Haynes Bob Dylan bio pic!

message 38: by Alison (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Alison That brings to mind Heart of Darkness/Apocolypse Now (done to death??) I'm a big fan of (the previously mentioned) "noir month"--The Maltese Falcon, The Thin Man, The Big Sleep. (Just watched Double Indemnity two nights ago--interested to see it mentioned). I love all of those movies, but have never read any of the books.

Just got ACO at the library. Bring on the controversy!!!

message 39: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Verly Girly, the Visconti version of Postman is actually called Ossessione (or Obsession). I just checked and happily they do have it on Netflix. Just search for Visconti or Ossessione. They have it listed under the Italian title. An amazing film!

And great idea for work inspired by other works rather than straight adaptation. I think more often than not the looser the inspiration the better the adaptation tends to be.

Alison, glad you're into the noir! There's definitely a lot of material there that we can all have some fun with! I love all that stuff!

Robert, I'm a huge fan of Woman in the Dunes - both the book and the film.

What's The Loved One? Like Marshall, good black comedy is probably my favorite genre so more info please.

message 40: by Tosh (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Tosh | 68 comments Verly Girly! I think you may wrote me a message on this site. I can't access it. If you (or anyone) wants to write to me - do so at tosh@tamtambooks.com.

Blow Up? It has the Yardbirds. End of story. Of course it's a masterpiece! David Hemmngs as David Bailey - fanastic. Jane Birkin is in it! And Gillian Hill as well. Who by the way is super fantastic. I have her album, and she was in Blow Up as well as in Clockwork Orange.
I am really excited about the Clockwork Orange as the first book. I am going to explore the book as well as the film. I may read a passage and try to find it on the film. I am going to be really geeky and go ga-ga over clockwork orange.

There is only one thing that is wrong with Clockwork Orange. There is no Yardbirds in the film!

message 41: by brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

brian   robert - do you like The Collector? wyler is fantastic and stamp is, bluntly stated, a god in a man's body... but i've tried to make it through the movie twice and was seriously bored. am i missing something?

message 42: by Robert (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:20PM) (new)

Robert | 111 comments It would be fun to tackle "Berlin Alexanderplatz" - I have the book, but haven't read it and I'm pretty excited about seeing the film again.

A few random choices for future selections:

The Lost Honor of Katherina Blum
Contempt
Ripley's Game ("The American Friend")
The Marquise of O
Tristram Shandy
Shoot the Piano Player
Two English Girls
Rashomon

And just so you don't think I'm getting to arty
Clive Barker's "Night Breed" (based on his novel "Cabal") is a rare example of a writer not only adapting his own work, but actually directing it.

And for future discussion: there are three films coming out shortly based on books that I've very interest in -

"No Country For Old Men" -
"Persepolis" and
"The Golden Compass"

message 43: by Tosh (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new)

Tosh | 68 comments Contempt would be interesting. It is probably Godard's most straight true to the book film. And it would be fascinating to re-view American Friend (Ripley's Game).

message 44: by Bronwyn (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new)

Bronwyn | 4 comments The Human Stain
The Shining
Lolita

I think these would be fun. I've already read Lolita but I think it would fun to do because of the two different film versions.

message 45: by Eileen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new)

Eileen | 6 comments Loved One was a great book made into a really entertaining film, probably because the filmmakers decided they weren't married to their source material.

I'd be interested in Nathaniel West adaptations, but I suspect the movies are not very good. Has anyone seen the 1950s Montgomery Clift version of Miss Lonelyhearts? I've read the book but not seen the film. I love Clift, so I'm curious.

I'm a fan of Graham Greene. I thought that End of the Affair was a great book made into a pretty good movie. The filmmakers made a huge change in the relationship of the two primary men that upped the drama factor at the end. It worked. It wasn't necessary in the book, but helped the movie. It would be great to get someone else's perspective on that.

In the meantime, Clockwork Orange is a great first choice. I won't be reading along because I'm swamped in my school program, but I'm sure the ensuing discussion will refresh my memory of both book and film.

message 46: by Jonathan (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new)

Jonathan | 8 comments "Mother Night" is an excellent film, although I watched it several years after I had read the novel. Alan Arkin and Nick Nolte turn in great performances.

Yes, I did read "1408" though I have not seen the film. Based on the previews, the film added a lot of back story. (It would have to. The King story wouldn't have provided nearly enough material for a feature-length film.)

message 47: by Robert (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new)

Robert | 111 comments I saw "The Day of the Locust" a long time ago and recall it as being lurid and grotesque. I've never seen the Montgomery Clift film, but have read that it has almost no similarity to the book. There was also an adaptation of "Miss Lonelyhearts" produced for PBS - I think it was in the early 80s.

message 48: by brian (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new)

brian   one of my all time favorite movies is SUDDENLY LAST SUMMER. a truly grotesque and demented movie co-written by Gore Vidal based on a Tennessee Williams play. incest, male hustling, cannabalism, insane asylums, montgomery clift performing drunk through nearly the entire movie (!!!), katherine hepburn being lowered into her garden of death on a throne... yeah, it's one of the most fantastically deranged movies i've ever seen. i love it. interesting topic could how much vidal added (and how much he was forced to remove to comply with censorship codes) to the original one act play...

message 49: by Eileen (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:21PM) (new)

Eileen | 6 comments The film of Suddenly Last Summer is a great guilty pleasure of mine. They were saddled with a restrictive code but somehow managed to convey every lurid detail. Actually, some of the details seem more lurid because they are left to your imagination. What a strange time that must have been, when it was more acceptable to talk about cannibalism than homosexuality, and when one could successfully be made into a code for the other.

message 50: by Kimley (last edited Aug 25, 2016 01:22PM) (new)

I've been swamped with work today... but it's great to see all these fantastic suggestions!

Some of the things that really appealed to me -
Contempt
Lolita (obviously, notice the icon I have for the group - one of my all time favorite books/writers and films)
Ripley's Game/American Friend - I'm a huge Highsmith and Wim Wenders fan
Rashomon - just added the book to my "to read" list
Anything Graham Greene definitely! Third Man would be good.
I'm a big Nathanael West fan but haven't seen any of the films mentioned.
And, yeah, Berlin Alexanderplatz would be great but I'm guessing that only Robert, Brian, me and maybe Tosh would be up for that. Anyone else?

I don't know anything about Suddenly Last Summer but Monty Clift, Katherine Hepburn, cannabalism, homosexuality - uh, yeah, I think that's a must see just for the sheer craziness of all that!

So, keep the suggestions coming and I'll put together a list of everything suggested for us all to vote on in December for January's reading/screening.

« previous 1