Pick-a-Shelf discussion

Pick-a-Shelf: Monthly -Archive > 2008-11 - Historical Fiction - What will you Read in November?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 52 (52 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tien (new)

Tien (tiensblurb) | 8709 comments Mod
I hope everyone has been enjoing their October-Mystery books.

Our Shelf for the month of November is Historical Fiction. Thanks to Mitzie, our Shelf Picker for November.

The link below will take you directly to the historical-fiction shelf:

http://www.goodreads.com/shelf/show?s...

Please share book/s you're planning to read from this shelf

message 2: by Tien (new)

I'm going to attempt to read:

Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke (page 2 of shelf)
One hundred years of solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (page 41 of shelf)

message 3: by Melissa (last edited Oct 14, 2008 03:57PM) (new)

Melissa (melitious) Awesome!!! I don't even need to look -- I'll be reading The Boleyn Inheritance -- but, I did look and it's right smack on page one of the shelf. Have already read The Other Boleyn Girl. And maybe I can finally get around to completing The Book Thief. I am also editing to add A Great and Terrible Beauty! Oh, I'm so excited! lol

Great pick, Mitzie!!

Oh, and Julianne, just on the first page, I can already see several books on your to-read list!

message 4: by Julianne (new)

Julianne | 42 comments I have a lot of books on this list I'd like to read, but I guess I better tone it down to make sure I can meet my quota. So, to start this is what I'll do:

The Constant Princess by Phillipa Gregory
A Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray
The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas

message 5: by Vicki (new)

Vicki My reading time is hard to come by right now. However, I borrowed The Other Boleyn Girl from my cousin and I need to get it back by Thanksgiving and I like to read the Book Thief also. I took it out of the library, but I am still reading my mystery. Yikes!

message 6: by Mita (new)

Mita (mitab) | 104 comments I'll pick The Book Thief because I already have it on my shelf, but if I have extra time between the exams (woe, student life!) I'll definitely pick up The Other Boleyn Girl cause I've heard such mixed reviews about it.

message 7: by Angela (new)

Angela I picked books already on my TBR shelf.

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
The Other Boleyn Girl
The Book Thief
The Sweet Far Thing
The Guernsey Literary & Potatoe Peel Pie Society
Sophie's Choice

I am not sure if I will get through all of these in November, but I am going to try!

message 8: by Jamie (last edited Nov 02, 2008 03:01PM) (new)

Jamie For November, I will be reading Emma and A Great and Terrible Beauty. I've been meaning to read Widow of the South and Thirteen Moons for a while, too, so this would be a good time to read them if I have enough time.

message 9: by Christina (new)

Christina (incandescence) | 14 comments Excellent choice! I don't even need to look at the list because there's a whole bunch on my shelves begging for me to read them... :( I'll be participating in NaNoWriMo though, so I know I'll most likely only get through one or two...

The Verdict:
Outlander - Diana Gabaldon
The Blood Countess - Andrei Condrescu

Can't wait!

message 10: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 25 comments I will be reading A GREAT AND TERRIBLE BEAUTY and I am going to read MEMORIORS OF GEISHA.

message 11: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (klonk) I'm going to give Memoirs of a Geisha a go. I've had it at home for so long and never took the time to read it, so it should be done!

message 12: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (spedkristie) I have read SOOOOOO many of these. In fact I just finished THE SWEET FAR THING and CHILD 44, but I am gonna try to read:

The Heretic's Daughter by Kathleen Kent

message 13: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) LOVED Memoirs of a Geisha. Some parts are a little slow, but overall, such a great book. I hope those who read it enjoy it.

message 14: by Lynlee4 (new)

Lynlee4 | 134 comments I have so many historical fiction, I'm not sure what I'm going to read but will commit to two books from Mt TBR

I also loved Memoirs of a Geisha - one of my all time favorites!

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

I find historical fiction a bit hit or miss but one of my desert island books is a HF book so we'll see - for November I'm going to read The 19th Wife

message 16: by Andrew (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:45AM) (new)

Andrew (sir_reads_a_lot) I'm going for (These are my possibilities) The Girl in the Pearl Earring, The Book Thief, Water For Elephants, Gone With the Wind, The Kite Runner, The Poisonwood Bible, To Kill a Mockingbird.

message 17: by Lynlee4 (new)

Lynlee4 | 134 comments Wow Andrew! Great list! I've read (and loved) all but Gone With the Wind and Poisonwood Bible. Look forward to hearing what you think!

message 18: by Illyria (new)

Illyria | 5 comments I have Ken Follet's 'The Pillars of The Earth' and Steven Pressfield's 'Gates of Fire' waiting to be read at home. I think I'll start with those. Great selection!

message 19: by Lanica (new)

Lanica | 14 comments I'm not sure I'll get to read anything in November since I'm doing NaNoWriMo, but I have To Kill a Mockingbird on my never-ending to-be-read pile and think this may finally get it bumped to the top of the list.

message 20: by Andrew (new)

Andrew (sir_reads_a_lot) Lanica, I'm doing NaNoWriMo as well! So like you, I don't know how many I will read, or how much, so it should be intresting.

message 21: by Luann (new)

Luann (azbookgal) | 1006 comments Hi! I'm new to the group. Just found you about 10 minutes ago when I posted my review for To Kill a Mockingbird and saw a post there from the "Pick-a-Shelf" group. The name was interesting, so I clicked and here I am. I love the concept! I thought I would pick four for November from my TBR list - one for each week:

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith
These Is My Words by Nancy E. Turner
Rebel Angels by Libba Bray
Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut

message 22: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (stephanie-somanybooks) Hi All, I'm relatively new to this group. November will be the first full month I've had to participate. Being an ambitious newcomer, I am listing four from the historical-fiction shelf:

The Poisonwood Bible - Barbara Kingsolver
Pirates - Celia Rees
The Secret History of the Pink Carnation - Lauren Willig
Indiscretion - Jude Morgan

Wish me luck!

P.S. Pillars of the Earth is one of my all-time favorites. I read it when it first came out while working the night shift at my first "real" job (I've been there over 18 years now!). I think it only took me a week to finish. Loved it!

message 23: by Marsha (new)

Marsha I'm going to read Rebel Angels by Libba Bray. I've had it on order at the library for a while so it should come in soon.

message 24: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Oh I absolutely loved Libba Bray's books. I hope you enjoy it, Marsha!

message 25: by Kristina (new)

Kristina | 4 comments I'm definitely going to readA Tree Grows in Brooklyn

I also may read The Poisonwood Bible or Cold Mountain

Oh another one I might read is Incantation

message 26: by Melody (new)

Melody | 12 comments I've just started The Book Thief and am only 30 pages in and enjoying it so far.

message 27: by Lynai (new)

Lynai | 0 comments the shelf is enormous!
i will read Cold Mountain.
and if i have extra time, i might also read The Book Thief and Memoirs of a Geisha. :)

message 28: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (melitious) I'm actually really enjoying The Boleyn Inheritance, so far. I like how it is written differently than The Other Boleyn Girl.

message 29: by Kristie (last edited Nov 03, 2008 09:49AM) (new)

Kristie (spedkristie) I'm hoping my book comes soon to the library (there were a couple of holds on it....if not I will choose something else)

but I will add "JANE EYRE" because I am currently reading it.....

Is there anyway to search for a specific book within the designated shelf.....I have a book I think should be historical fiction...but I don't have time to go through all 165 pages of books!

message 30: by Tien (new)

>Kristie Faye

If you are looking at the book info page, look on the right hand side and it'll show you some of the shelves the book is on - there's even a 'more' option if the book is on lots of different shelves. hopefully the book you're after has already been shelved on historial fiction ;)

I hope that makes sense to somebody, otherwise, Kristie, let me know what book it is and I'll see if I can find you a link to show you what I mean :)

message 31: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (spedkristie) thanks, I got it. I hereby add "THE TRUE STORY OF HANSEL AND GRETEL" to my list of reads for November.

message 32: by Tien (new)

Ah, I'm scrapping my earlier plan and will instead by reading:

March by Geraldine Brooks and The Night Watch by Sarah Waters

I may also pick up Jane Eyre (we'll see...)

message 33: by Sarah (last edited Nov 05, 2008 06:07PM) (new)

Sarah | 4 comments ok this is bad but i'm actually not going to read one because i'm already reading too many so i will start reading with this group next month i think. but i have read a few that are on the list anyway. Gone with the wind, Scarlet, To kill a mockingbird . However, The Constant Princess looks really interesting so i might read that.

Southernbelle0326 | 20 comments Okay, this sounds like fun. I used to be able to read several books at one time, but, I got so confused b/c it would be a while before I picked up the other books and I would be totally lost in trying to recall what happened in the book. So, after I read this book I am reading now, considering my book intervention as well, I think its safe for me to pick Gone With the Wind and Scarlett or The Historian because I own these books. I have read a few on this list and I am very excited b/c a lot of those books are on my to-read list. I am a slow reader so I will see where I am on this in a couple of days. I just have to put down my cross-stitching and read!!!!!!

message 35: by Emily (new)

Emily (bookaholicemily) i am going to read:
How to be popular By Meg Cabot
This Lullaby By Sarah Dessen
Re-Read:
All-American Girl By Meg Cabot
Lock and Key By Sarah Dessen
Dairy Queen By Catherine Gilbert Murdock

message 36: by Jenny (last edited Nov 08, 2008 06:39AM) (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) Wow lots of these are on my 'to-read' list. I'm going to choose:

The Other Boleyn Girl
just because it's been on my bookshelf for ages

and

To Kill a Mockingbird, I haven't read this since GCSE's and it needs to be done!!

Going to attempt to read a third as the library had it :)

Snow Flower and the Secret Fan

message 37: by Atishay (new)

Atishay | 4 comments Jenny, To kill a mocking bird is unbelievably amazing. Go for it !
I completed my last few pages of "The Medici Secret" last week, a typical fast read. I already have two books with me- "Rebecca" and "The Thirteenth Tale" .

message 38: by Perkin (new)

Perkin | 8 comments There were so many great books. The list of the books marked 'to read' on my shelf has just grown considerably. I'll only commit myself to reading a couple this month. I was just about to read "Cry, the beloved country" anyway and I'd like to re-read "Wide Saragossa sea". For those reading Jane Eyre, if you end up loving it as much as I do you might like this book. It takes one of the characters from Jane Eyre and gives you a vastly different perspective.

message 39: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) Can I just read one? I would like to read The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova. I have it for a couple of book of the month groups also. It would be more convenient for me.

message 40: by Tien (new)

>Operandi, there is no requirement of how many you have to read. It's all up to you, we're just setting certain genre for the month to open the field for the rest of us so if you find you're struggling with one then don't worry too much :)

message 41: by Misfit (last edited Nov 09, 2008 08:01AM) (new)

Misfit Well, it's too bad that only November reads of historical fiction count, or Laura and I would be way ahead of the pack :)

I second the recommendation of Penman's Devils Brood a fabulous finish to her story of England's Civil War and the reign of Henry II and Eleanor. Historical fiction is my favorite genre and it's an excellent way to entertain and learn a bit about history at the same time.

Question re book choices. Do I have to look to see if the historical fiction books I'm currently reading are on that shelf? It's kind of a big shelf and I'd rather be reading than seeing if what I'm reading is on it.

message 42: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Misfit - You can check to see if a certain book is on the shelf by looking at the book's Goodreads page and checking which shelves it's listed on (on the right side of the page).

message 43: by Misfit (new)

Misfit Thank you Jamie!

message 44: by Kate (new)

Kate (kathrynlouwca) | 75 comments I am going to try to read The Luxe by Anna Godbersen. Aside from that I am just going to try to read a book to prepare me for the 12 books of Christmas (I am reading the last two books of His Dark Material for the challenge, so I need to read the first one this month).

message 45: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) I have read 2 already.

The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
Thousand Splendid Suns - Khaled Hosseini.

message 46: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) I'll try and squeeze one in this month! ... maybe The Historian

message 47: by Fiona (Titch) (new)

Fiona (Titch) Hunt (titch) Suzie, I read mine some time this year. Wonder if that is ok.

message 48: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) Blimey Suzie The Historian is a big one to squeeze in :)

message 49: by Terri (new)

Terri (terrisa-uk) lol Jenny, I know! I have one more 'must read' book this month, Two Caravans for a book group, but hopefully that will arrive on Monday and shouldn't take me too long .... can I finish The Historian in a week?! Hmmm, we'll see!

message 50: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (notestothemoon) I got through it quite quick even though I really didn't like it :(

« previous 1