The Next Best Book Club discussion

Newbies Corner > Greetings from Britain

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi, I'm slowly adding things to my goodreads list and am also finding some great threads on this group.

I don't believe there are enough minutes in the day for reading. It all seems to be taken up with chores such-as working and sleeping but if I can grab a few minutes with a book I will do.

Hope to have some interesting chats on here but as I am still looking around I thought my first thread should be nice and easy. I've added a thread for a discussion of favourite bookmarks, please feel free to add to it.

Bye for now

John

P.S. Hope it's not too obvious but what exactly is a TBR list?

message 2: by Jackie (new)

Jackie (thenightowl) Welcome John!

TBR= To Be Read List

You will find that your TBR list will grow and grow once you've joined.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome to the group John!

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Jackie, thanks for that. I knew it would be something obvious. lol

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi Fiona, although I'm in Bradford now I used to live in Hampshire a few years ago. Good to hear from you.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Emilee, thanks for the welcome.

Petra X is emotionally in a 14.5 year old state (petra-x) Hi John, welcome to the group. I've only just joined but already I'm addicted. I live in the Caribbean but I'm originally from the South Wales Valleys.

message 8: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (tnbbc) | 10095 comments Mod
Welcome John.... I am surrounded in life by Johns. My fahter, my brother, my hubby...
Great name!

message 9: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 382 comments Hi, John! *waves* Don't worry about asking about acronyms (spelling?). There are a lot of them and you don't know what they mean until you ask. You're not alone!

message 10: by Isiah (new)

Isiah (volition) Welcome to the group John... you're the first person I get to say that to as I'm extremely new here myself. See you around the threads.

message 11: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Welcome John! Ask anything you want, we won't be offended ;)

message 12: by Liz (new)

Liz Welcome John! I saw your post and wanted to ask what area of Britain you're in--I'm an American spending a year at the University of Exeter.

message 13: by Ann from S.C. (new)

Ann from S.C. | 1395 comments Hello and welcome from South Carolina!!

message 14: by Kellie (new)

Kellie (acountkel) | 992 comments Hey John!!
I have a Mountain in my house called TBR. It's about ready to erupt like a volcano because there are so many books on it!
Glad to have you!

message 15: by Lisa Julianna (new)

Lisa Julianna (lisajulianna) | 1053 comments Hi John,

Welcome to the group. :~)

message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

Hi everyone.

Just got back from work (for the folks across the pond it is around six in the evening here now) and found all these lovely welcomes so thanks a lot.

Liz, I'm in Bradford, Yorkshire in the north of England. I know Exeter quite well as I spent my childhood in Devon. I lived in a town called Teignmouth on the coast a few miles from where you are. If I'm not mistaken your picture was taken in Bath so looks like you are getting to visit places nearby. Say hi to Exeter for me :-)

Ikiwiki and Heather, thanks for showing I'm not alone in working out the acronyms.

Kellie, take care with that volcano!

message 17: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Heather, you know that feeling when you get an e-mail or something else and there are all acronyms i it. And then you think..okay why do they write this to be faster if in the end you need so much more time to find out what it means!!!!!

I used to hate that at my job. You get a mail of your team leader with FYI and then the rest...I think I spend more time trying to figure out what it means than reading the rest of the mail!! But now I know!

message 18: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Oh, sorry..welcome John, enjoy and get addicted!!!

message 19: by Krista (new)

Krista (findyourshimmy) | 382 comments There are only a few acronyms I use on a regular basis...

TBR - to be read
FYI - for your information
GR - Goodreads
ROTFL - rolling on the floor laughing
ROTFLMAO - rolling on the floor laughing my @$$ off
LOL - laugh out loud (I never use this, but it's a good abbreviation to know since many other use it)

Hmm...I know there are others. I just can't think of them at the moment.

message 20: by Liz (new)

Liz John, you are quite right about the location of my profile picture :)

message 21: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Heather, I think besides here on this site TBR, I never use them. I jsut don't like them and I also like the real writing, like real letters so don't want the more computer/sms talk around me. You see often in Italy wourds written partly with a letter or number replacing half of the word, like 'Xche' instead of 'perche'. Mainly young people and then people wonder why they are rubbish in writting correctly!